Extinction Rebellion, the return of the great unwashed.

Extinction Rebellion

• Genuine people concerned solely with the future of our planet?

• An Anti-Capitalist movement using the fear of children to drive their agenda?

• A bunch of arseholes whose tactics are driving away people who could otherwise support them?

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
No they do not.
Well my children are concerned, but they are not kids, they are adults, and intelligent. They are also aware of the consequences of the insane path of destruction that mankind is on.

Oblivion of the human species is our destiny if we don't treat the planet with respect, we don't own the planet, we share it and until we respect that fact then nature will not respect us.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Well my children are concerned, but they are not kids, they are adults, and intelligent. They are also aware of the consequences of the insane path of destruction that mankind is on.

Oblivion of the human species is our destiny if we don't treat the planet with respect, we don't own the planet, we share it and until we respect that fact then nature will not respect us.
Well guess what, my children are concerned about the future of the planet and the man made problems that are causing warming, but they are certainly are not scared.

They are also aware of the scaremongering that is going on, like your second paragraph.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron

I don't subscribe to the worst case scenarios, and I am a bit more optimistic than most about the progress made in slowing things down.

But, the doubt I have at the back of my mind is potential positive feedback loops - if icecap melting affects the Atlantic currents, we have very big problems.

You are bang on about the respect - we are storing up a lot of environmental problems for the future. Time to start tackling them instead of ignoring them until they become someone else's problem some time in the future.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Well guess what, my children are concerned about the future of the planet and the man made problems that are causing warming, but they are certainly are not scared.

They are also aware of the scaremongering that is going on, like your second paragraph.
Maybe they would be if they lived in the Marshall Islands, or the Phillipines, and they certainly will be in the event of a Gulf Stream Collapse, but then it will be too late.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Maybe they would be if they lived in the Marshall Islands, or the Phillipines, and they certainly will be in the event of a Gulf Stream Collapse, but then it will be too late.
But they don't and I reckon kids in those areas are not that scared either. "Gulf Stream Collapse" Why?

simo

Advisor to the Owner

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
But they don't and I reckon kids in those areas are not that scared either. "Gulf Stream Collapse" Why?

I give up, you are right Snicks, everything is 'Hunky Dory' if you want to know about the 'Collapse of the Gulf Stream' google it or
google 'Atlantic meridional overturning circulation' it's the thing that keeps our temperatures the way they are, and the UK climate the way it is.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
I give up, you are right Snicks, everything is 'Hunky Dory' if you want to know about the 'Collapse of the Gulf Stream' google it or
google 'Atlantic meridional overturning circulation' it's the thing that keeps our temperatures the way they are, and the UK climate the way it is.
Why do you think everything is Hunky Dory? I don't.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Yup - that is what does worry me about global warming. The ocean currents are a big unknown, but they have been slowing down over the past few decades. In many ways, the ocean is actually more important to climate change than the atmosphere.

Not just in the North Atlantic - El Nino events off the Pacific coast of South America are also a potential problem.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Yup - that is what does worry me about global warming. The ocean currents are a big unknown, but they have been slowing down over the past few decades. In many ways, the ocean is actually more important to climate change than the atmosphere.

Not just in the North Atlantic - El Nino events off the Pacific coast of South America are also a potential problem.
That's true, also if the glaciers keep melting then that's it for most of North East Africa, Pakistan, India, and the South East Asia even Vietnam is dependent of the waters from the Himalayas. Water makes up most of the surface of the planet, and it is a bit more powerful than we are, can't live without it, and can't escape it if the oceans rise and flood lands we dan't run anywhere but to the hills.

You can't abuse nature, and upset the balance it is perfect setup, a miracle you could say, absolutely spot on, money doesn't grow on tress but food does, until we chop them down.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
That's true, also if the glaciers keep melting then that's it for most of North East Africa, Pakistan, India, and the South East Asia even Vietnam is dependent of the waters from the Himalayas. Water makes up most of the surface of the planet, and it is a bit more powerful than we are, can't live without it, and can't escape it if the oceans rise and flood lands we dan't run anywhere but to the hills.

You can't abuse nature, and upset the balance it is perfect setup, a miracle you could say, absolutely spot on, money doesn't grow on tress but food does, until we chop them down.
Many years ago, I was made redundant because of El Nino!

When it comes to water, must admit my main concern is access. We are using far too much and depleting groundwater reserves across the world - and, if they are polluted or saltwater leaches in, they are rendered unusable. Polluting rivers and lakes with chemicals and fertilisers does not help, either.

Glacial melting will compound that, sadly - glaciers are one of the best reservoirs going, as you said.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Many years ago, I was made redundant because of El Nino!

When it comes to water, must admit my main concern is access. We are using far too much and depleting groundwater reserves across the world - and, if they are polluted or saltwater leaches in, they are rendered unusable. Polluting rivers and lakes with chemicals and fertilisers does not help, either.

Glacial melting will compound that, sadly - glaciers are one of the best reservoirs going, as you said.
I saw a documentary about those poor souls in India reliant on the water deep underground put there during the monsoons, they knew how much there was and when to bore for it, then along came Coca Cola, and used industrial methods to take every last drop, completely destroying the cycle and the eco-system, now the farmers have to vacate the land and move their families...sad.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron

I haven't read much about El Nino, more concerned about the Northern Hemisphere, I will look it up, it must be tied in with the Gulf Stream also I presume, as everything is linked and the gulf stream originates there, that's a guess on my part..

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
I haven't read much about El Nino, more concerned about the Northern Hemisphere, I will look it up, it must be tied in with the Gulf Stream also I presume, as everything is linked and the gulf stream originates there, that's a guess on my part..

It is in the Pacific and doesn't affect us directly, but has big effects on global climate, agriculture, and fisheries.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron

It is in the Pacific and doesn't affect us directly, but has big effects on global climate, agriculture, and fisheries.
I found this: A bit too much for me to be fathoming at this time of day 'Siesta Time'

Full Story Here

During CP El Niño winters, the tracks of Gulf Stream cyclones preferentially veer into the Nordic Seas. During EP El Niño winters, cyclones veer more zonally, affecting central Europe and the U.K.

The results indicate possible future changes in heat and moisture transport into higher latitudes by cyclones from the Gulf Stream region, depending on future changes of ENSO. Further the study points to additional linkages between tropical convection sites, the life cycle of weather systems in the North Atlantic and even the climate in Arctic regions that remain to be explored.

Last edited: