Extinction Rebellion, the return of the great unwashed.

Extinction Rebellion

• Genuine people concerned solely with the future of our planet?

• An Anti-Capitalist movement using the fear of children to drive their agenda?

• A bunch of arseholes whose tactics are driving away people who could otherwise support them?

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
That I didn't know - knew it had some indirect effects, but that linkage is very interesting. Cheers for that!
This is a nice simple explainer from the Met Office. Theyve always been excellent at explaining all sorts of meteorological and climatological phenomena

Portishead

Manager
The good thing is if George is correct in the point he makes, it will only need 25% of us to tip the balance in the right direction then the doubters/deniers noise will be just that.
Here's hoping..

Maybe true for the developed west but public opinion is somewhat suppressed in other countries critical to the issue. How do you get those countries to change sufficiently in time without resorting to sanctions/wars etc.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
This is a nice simple explainer from the Met Office. Theyve always been excellent at explaining all sorts of meteorological and climatological phenomena

That brings back the memories - it's now almost 30 years since I had to learn about that stuff!

Goes to show how, for chaotic systems such as climate and the oceans, everything is complex and interlinked.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Maybe true for the developed west but public opinion is somewhat suppressed in other countries critical to the issue. How do you get those countries to change sufficiently in time without resorting to sanctions/wars etc.
You mean those in the west will rise up and demand and force change, creating instability, damaged economies and hardship as the authoritarian regimes elsewhere sit back and watch the carnage?

Is no one else getting this?

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
That's true, also if the glaciers keep melting then that's it for most of North East Africa, Pakistan, India, and the South East Asia even Vietnam is dependent of the waters from the Himalayas. Water makes up most of the surface of the planet, and it is a bit more powerful than we are, can't live without it, and can't escape it if the oceans rise and flood lands we dan't run anywhere but to the hills.

You can't abuse nature, and upset the balance it is perfect setup, a miracle you could say, absolutely spot on, money doesn't grow on tress but food does, until we chop them down.
Sadly ironic and unjust that Bhutan which has a negative carbon footprint will be the first to be devastated by glacial melting.

Portishead

Manager
You mean those in the west will rise up and demand and force change, creating instability, damaged economies and hardship as the authoritarian regimes elsewhere sit back and watch the carnage?

Is no one else getting this?

Well I mean whatever we do or dont do in Europe is important but will matter little if others for a variety of reasons, not least poverty and/or a will for continued world instability, continue what we started. Getting the world to act in concert against a global natiral threat would be a first. Since history indicates we' generally default to fallout and war in a crisis or shortage of much lesser magnitude, Im a bit sceptical for the future given our starting point is currently one of strife and discord.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Posted this before. It is such a beautiful documentary linking the restoration of natural environment to the climate.
A positive message much needed amidst today's doom and gloom.

Started watching yesterday, very positive news, really good to see people actively doing something to combat the damage being done.... (y) (y) (y)

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
That I didn't know - knew it had some indirect effects, but that linkage is very interesting. Cheers for that!

This article predicts the current problems across BC and affecting Vancouver. There is the added factor of 'Climate Change' to be considered.

Full Story Here

BC's Winter Weather Forecast Looks Brutal As La Niña Expected To Bring 'Abundant Snowfall'

The forecast predicts stormy weather for B.C., with lots of rain and heavy winds near the coast. Vancouver should be prepared for "far more rain than usual," according to the forecast.

noelpne

Forum Patron
Patron
Yup - that is what does worry me about global warming. The ocean currents are a big unknown, but they have been slowing down over the past few decades. In many ways, the ocean is actually more important to climate change than the atmosphere.

Not just in the North Atlantic - El Nino events off the Pacific coast of South America are also a potential problem.
I don't want to be thought argumentative / nitpicky just for the sake of it;- but- the Sun heats the Ocean(s), some of the surface evaporates, making moisture-laden clouds, (in the atmosphere),which are then drawn to areas in the atmosphere which are colder, the water in those clouds gets colder, and the clouds drop that moisture, as rain. THE cycle. Good CSE stuff.
As it relates to the "Ocean being more important than the Atmosphere" a loose, very loose comparison is stating that the Heart is more important than the Lungs.

Surely it's all the same Big Picture. Or, what am I missing ?

Portishead

Manager
I don't want to be thought argumentative / nitpicky just for the sake of it;- but- the Sun heats the Ocean(s), some of the surface evaporates, making moisture-laden clouds, (in the atmosphere),which are then drawn to areas in the atmosphere which are colder, the water in those clouds gets colder, and the clouds drop that moisture, as rain. THE cycle. Good CSE stuff.
As it relates to the "Ocean being more important than the Atmosphere" a loose, very loose comparison is stating that the Heart is more important than the Lungs.

The Earth will always find a new balance for itself through the complex interactions of its various systems. Theres no rule that states it will rebalance such that it will be suitable for human life in the medium term. Nor that we can act now independently to make it so. As a life form we are highly vulnerable to small variations in temperature and air. Various other forms of life that are far more robust to changes and that predate our extremely short existence some by hundreds of millions of years will survive no doubt.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron

That cycle is weather, though - climate is longer term, much slower, and largely driven by the ocean.

Ocean currents, absorbing gas, acting as a heat sink, transporting heat, converting carbon dioxide into oxygen, and many other factors make the ocean extremely important in regulating climate.

Don't forget its sheer volume and how much of the earth's surface it covers, too.

Although, I am probably biased :D

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Probably could go on a number of threads

"This so-called 'woke' generation are actually simply young people who care about things: about causes, about the planet, about people. It ultimately comes down to something very simple: being kind.
"Isn't that what we all want our toddlers to be? We teach them to be kind.
"And then when they grow up to be impressive, kind young people with an understanding and appreciation for the world around them, how can it be right that we mock them, or dismiss them as unrealistic do-gooders?"

pnesaint

Manager
Probably could go on a number of threads

Simplistic clap trap from those with no experience of the real world.

How many of those 'young people' in those pictures will learn to drive - petrol cars mostly - and then not use public transport? Most of them I'll wager.

As for the headteacher she just wants to be 'hip' and seen to be 'down with the kids'.