PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

UK Politics

Yup - that is what does worry me about global warming. The ocean currents are a big unknown, but they have been slowing down over the past few decades. In many ways, the ocean is actually more important to climate change than the atmosphere.

Not just in the North Atlantic - El Nino events off the Pacific coast of South America are also a potential problem.
That's true, also if the glaciers keep melting then that's it for most of North East Africa, Pakistan, India, and the South East Asia even Vietnam is dependent of the waters from the Himalayas. Water makes up most of the surface of the planet, and it is a bit more powerful than we are, can't live without it, and can't escape it if the oceans rise and flood lands we dan't run anywhere but to the hills.

You can't abuse nature, and upset the balance it is perfect setup, a miracle you could say, absolutely spot on, money doesn't grow on tress but food does, until we chop them down.

That's true, also if the glaciers keep melting then that's it for most of North East Africa, Pakistan, India, and the South East Asia even Vietnam is dependent of the waters from the Himalayas. Water makes up most of the surface of the planet, and it is a bit more powerful than we are, can't live without it, and can't escape it if the oceans rise and flood lands we dan't run anywhere but to the hills.

You can't abuse nature, and upset the balance it is perfect setup, a miracle you could say, absolutely spot on, money doesn't grow on tress but food does, until we chop them down.
Many years ago, I was made redundant because of El Nino!

When it comes to water, must admit my main concern is access. We are using far too much and depleting groundwater reserves across the world - and, if they are polluted or saltwater leaches in, they are rendered unusable. Polluting rivers and lakes with chemicals and fertilisers does not help, either.

Glacial melting will compound that, sadly - glaciers are one of the best reservoirs going, as you said.

Many years ago, I was made redundant because of El Nino!

When it comes to water, must admit my main concern is access. We are using far too much and depleting groundwater reserves across the world - and, if they are polluted or saltwater leaches in, they are rendered unusable. Polluting rivers and lakes with chemicals and fertilisers does not help, either.

Glacial melting will compound that, sadly - glaciers are one of the best reservoirs going, as you said.
I saw a documentary about those poor souls in India reliant on the water deep underground put there during the monsoons, they knew how much there was and when to bore for it, then along came Coca Cola, and used industrial methods to take every last drop, completely destroying the cycle and the eco-system, now the farmers have to vacate the land and move their families...sad.

Yup - that is what does worry me about global warming. The ocean currents are a big unknown, but they have been slowing down over the past few decades. In many ways, the ocean is actually more important to climate change than the atmosphere.

Not just in the North Atlantic - El Nino events off the Pacific coast of South America are also a potential problem.
I haven't read much about El Nino, more concerned about the Northern Hemisphere, I will look it up, it must be tied in with the Gulf Stream also I presume, as everything is linked and the gulf stream originates there, that's a guess on my part..

I haven't read much about El Nino, more concerned about the Northern Hemisphere, I will look it up, it must be tied in with the Gulf Stream also I presume, as everything is linked and the gulf stream originates there, that's a guess on my part..

It is in the Pacific and doesn't affect us directly, but has big effects on global climate, agriculture, and fisheries.

It is in the Pacific and doesn't affect us directly, but has big effects on global climate, agriculture, and fisheries.
I found this: A bit too much for me to be fathoming at this time of day 'Siesta Time'

Full Story Here

During CP El Niño winters, the tracks of Gulf Stream cyclones preferentially veer into the Nordic Seas. During EP El Niño winters, cyclones veer more zonally, affecting central Europe and the U.K.

The results indicate possible future changes in heat and moisture transport into higher latitudes by cyclones from the Gulf Stream region, depending on future changes of ENSO. Further the study points to additional linkages between tropical convection sites, the life cycle of weather systems in the North Atlantic and even the climate in Arctic regions that remain to be explored.

Last edited:
That I didn't know - knew it had some indirect effects, but that linkage is very interesting. Cheers for that!
This is a nice simple explainer from the Met Office. Theyve always been excellent at explaining all sorts of meteorological and climatological phenomena

The good thing is if George is correct in the point he makes, it will only need 25% of us to tip the balance in the right direction then the doubters/deniers noise will be just that.
Here's hoping..

Maybe true for the developed west but public opinion is somewhat suppressed in other countries critical to the issue. How do you get those countries to change sufficiently in time without resorting to sanctions/wars etc.

This is a nice simple explainer from the Met Office. Theyve always been excellent at explaining all sorts of meteorological and climatological phenomena

That brings back the memories - it's now almost 30 years since I had to learn about that stuff!

Goes to show how, for chaotic systems such as climate and the oceans, everything is complex and interlinked.

Another one that wants looking at.

Maybe it would be easier to investigate the odd tory MP that isnt filling their boots to establish what the hell they have been up. Bloody weirdos, letting the side down.

Maybe true for the developed west but public opinion is somewhat suppressed in other countries critical to the issue. How do you get those countries to change sufficiently in time without resorting to sanctions/wars etc.
You mean those in the west will rise up and demand and force change, creating instability, damaged economies and hardship as the authoritarian regimes elsewhere sit back and watch the carnage?

Is no one else getting this?

Sadly ironic and unjust that Bhutan which has a negative carbon footprint will be the first to be devastated by glacial melting.

You mean those in the west will rise up and demand and force change, creating instability, damaged economies and hardship as the authoritarian regimes elsewhere sit back and watch the carnage?

Is no one else getting this?

Well I mean whatever we do or dont do in Europe is important but will matter little if others for a variety of reasons, not least poverty and/or a will for continued world instability, continue what we started. Getting the world to act in concert against a global natiral threat would be a first. Since history indicates we' generally default to fallout and war in a crisis or shortage of much lesser magnitude, Im a bit sceptical for the future given our starting point is currently one of strife and discord.

Wasn't sure where to put this one, does it merit it's own thread. Have and have nots?
Anyway not to be misunderstood, I am definitely not into breaking into people's houses. That aside, how the feck does someone have £26 million worth of stuff I'm thier house? Decadence beyond belief, how can this sort of indulgence be morally acceptable when so many go without? A root of many of society's problems IMO.