PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fairsnape Road (Tin Houses)

Not answering the question but these two articles are fascinating about some of the history of estates around Preston

Not answering the question but these two articles are fascinating about some of the history of estates around Preston

Thanks for that Jake, just spent a bit of time trying to work out where the 1946 Grange estate photo was taken (part 2) in relation to today on google maps, found it!.

Tintown was the estate to the right when you come up Brockholes Brow. Worked on there in the early 90's, some proper rum buggers.

Tintown was the estate to the right when you come up Brockholes Brow. Worked on there in the early 90's, some proper rum buggers.
Tintown was Ribbleton Hall Drive, Fairsnape road, Mitton Drive and the Roads in the Middle, backed onto Grange Park, Motorway over the back. As far as I was aware growing up.

The estate on Brockholes brow is Farringdon Park?

Here will bring back memories, “Pallie”, the Blue Van selling everything from fags to nappies. Remember going out to get peppy’s (fags) for my Dad.

Tintown was Ribbleton Hall Drive, Fairsnape road, Mitton Drive and the Roads in the Middle, backed onto Grange Park, Motorway over the back. As far as I was aware growing up.

The estate on Brockholes brow is Farringdon Park?

Here will bring back memories, “Pallie”, the Blue Van selling everything from fags to nappies. Remember going out to get peppy’s (fags) for my Dad.
Well I beg to differ. Grew up in Ribbleton and Farrington was always referred to as Tintown.

Well I beg to differ. Grew up in Ribbleton and Farrington was always referred to as Tintown.

Well I grew up in Ribbleton and Farry Park was not called tintown but Ribby Hall Drive was.

If you worked on the Farringdon Park estate you will recall that they were all brick and slate roof construction. Tintown referred to those prefabs with metal cladding and roofs.

Well I grew up in Ribbleton and Farry Park was not called tintown but Ribby Hall Drive was.

If you worked on the Farringdon Park estate you will recall that they were all brick and slate roof construction. Tintown referred to those prefabs with metal cladding and roofs.

The prefab houses where on Farringdon. I know because I worked on them.

The prefab houses where on Farringdon. I know because I worked on them.
Never, Sorry you are mistaken.
Red Still Tin Houses (some have been recladded.)
Blue - Old Tin Town, knocked down in 1987
Green - is Farringdon Park. Brick construction

Attachments

• Preston.jpg
    Preston.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 8
Look I worked on there. I grew up near there. Farringdon to me was known as tintown. Not mistaken in anyway.

Look I worked on there. I grew up near there. Farringdon to me was known as tintown. Not mistaken in anyway.
Ok I was born there (before being rushed to hospital. Grew up in the Tin Houses till I was 10. Went to School across the road from them. I have no idea why you would call Farry Park Tin Town, there is no Tin Houses there. I got to watch my Tin House get pulled down after school as by chance I was walking down. It was great to see the shite childhood get destroyed. Life didn't improve though.

Lets agree one of us is wrong and its not me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ok I was born there (before being rushed to hospital. Grew up in the Tin Houses till I was 10. Went to School across the road from them. I have no idea why you would call Farry Park Tin Town, there is no Tin Houses there. I got to watch my Tin House get pulled down after school as by chance I was walking down. It was great to see the shite childhood get destroyed. Life didn't improve though.

Lets agree one of us is wrong and its not me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There was prefab houses on Farringdon Park. Just because you didn't know that doesn't make it untruthful.

There was obviously more than one tin town. There was Fairsnape Road opposite Ribby Hall school, and another just past the clock garage by Gammul Lane on Longridge Road. Farringdon Park, just before the hill down to the Tickled Trout we referred to as Dodge City. The estate opposite House of Holland on Blackpool Road which included Cedar and Sycamore Road we called 'Danger Island'.

anyway, here's something else. They was never Tin, they Iron and steel.

which makes the old Joke of Breaking in with a Tin Opener a little harder.

Dirty Harry knows.

And @Dirty Harry quite rightly referred to Farry Park's nickname as being Dodge City not Tintown.

The majority of work on Farry Park was done in the late 80s and very early 90s, funded by the Government's Estate Action programme. The residents were rehoused elsewhere - and this suited the Council's senior management as it broke up the concentration of "dominant families" that had earned the estate its Dodge City nickname.

I lived near Blessed Sac and went to school there with people from tintown on Ribby Hall Drive. I also worked for the Council's Housing Department between 1992 and 1997 before leaving to do missionary work in Burnley.

And @Dirty Harry quite rightly referred to Farry Park's nickname as being Dodge City not Tintown.

The majority of work on Farry Park was done in the late 80s and very early 90s, funded by the Government's Estate Action programme. The residents were rehoused elsewhere - and this suited the Council's senior management as it broke up the concentration of "dominant families" that had earned the estate its Dodge City nickname.

I lived near Blessed Sac and went to school there with people from tintown on Ribby Hall Drive. I also worked for the Council's Housing Department between 1992 and 1997 before leaving to do missionary work in Burnley.

Sorry the dates should have been between 1987 and 1992 - I got distracted bu a possible red card for Ronaldo 🤣

I grew up by Blessed Sac too, Meldrew. So did Henry Weston, and Ando wasn't too far away.