PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Farmer shoots Burglar

The only two things in my house that I’m that arsed about are my wife and my cat, not necessarily in that order, and I’d take drastic measures to protect both.

Not sure I’d ice someone for my flatscreen though.

I think most people would agree with this.

I also think most people would understand that determining whether somebody is there to kill you or your family or rob your TV is rather hard to ascertain after being suddenly awoken in the early hours, and taking the chance that they're not their for you or your family places your family at risk.

I'd rather hurt those coming into my house uninvited than risk my family being hurt. Split second decision, I'm grabbing the baseball bat next to the bed and heading downstairs and swinging it at whoever I see who I don't know.

Would you have used the hammer if you had to though?
Always difficult to answer such questions as the adrenaline and confusion of this situation are very different than trying to look hard on a football forum.

With that caveat, think I probably would if there was a physical threat. A very last resort if shouting doesn't work.

Apart from anything, the laws here are specific. If I hurt them and can't prove I was in danger, I am going to jail - and will be sued.

Have had to scare off a couple of people attempting to break in over the past few years - shouting and waving a hammer scared them off. Never felt the pressing need to try and kill them.
Maybe the farmer was scared, picked up the closest weapon he could find and acted on Adrenaline and fear - perfectly reasonable, that it happened like this. It just happens the weapon closest to where he was at teh time was a gun.

Maybe the farmer was scared, picked up the closest weapon he could find and acted on Adrenaline and fear - perfectly reasonable, that it happened like this. It just happens the weapon closest to where he was at teh time was a gun.
Who knows? I guess the courts will decide what happened and if it was justified. Hope I am never faced by that situation.

What are the laws on guns there? Here, they have to be locked away, so you can't just grab one in the heat of the moment.

Who knows? I guess the courts will decide what happened and if it was justified. Hope I am never faced by that situation.

What are the laws on guns there? Here, they have to be locked away, so you can't just grab one in the heat of the moment.
Yes, they do have to be locked up and ammo locked up separately if bullets but not if shot gun catridges. The locker needs to be bolted to the wall and in the mainhouse so could be in a bedroom.

I also think most people would understand that determining whether somebody is there to kill you or your family or rob your TV is rather hard to ascertain after being suddenly awoken in the early hours, and taking the chance that they're not their for you or your family places your family at risk.

I'd rather hurt those coming into my house uninvited than risk my family being hurt. Split second decision, I'm grabbing the baseball bat next to the bed and heading downstairs and swinging it at whoever I see who I don't know.

Always difficult to answer such questions as the adrenaline and confusion of this situation are very different than trying to look hard on a football forum.

With that caveat, think I probably would if there was a physical threat. A very last resort if shouting doesn't work.

Apart from anything, the laws here are specific. If I hurt them and can't prove I was in danger, I am going to jail - and will be sued.

I think that the majority of burgers would scarper as soon as they hear anything. If they didn’t and came towards you, then most people would probably use any weapon they had.
The legal problems arrive when they try to ascertain whether you attacked them as they fled, or acted in self defence.

I think that the majority of burgers would scarper as soon as they hear anything.
Dance Lol GIF by Robbie Cobb

You keep a baseball bat next to the bed?

Hmm, date night must be, err....interesting.