Fathers

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
A Happy Father's Day to all the forum fathers. Also a thought for all of those fathers who lost their lives during the last year, whether Coronavirus related or not.

What are your fondest memories of your dad, what are you proudest of about them and reflecting on your life, what have they taught you that has helped shaped you as a person?

anubis

Manager
My Dad was a Gentleman and also responsible for my love of PNE.
My parents met when they both worked at Tulketh Mill. Mum was a winder and also worked at Ashton Shed part time to make ends meet.
Consequently Dad introduced me to Deepdale and his beloved North End from a young age. Sadly my earliest memories of matches start from 62 after relegation from the top flight.
Fondest memories are all the laughs and holidays we shared together, even after he was diagnosed with dementia. We still managed a bit of Banter despite that.
He was the most honest and honourable person you could meet, that is what made me proudest about him. Also the fact that i dont know of anyone who ever had a bad word about him.
I was a bit of a rebel in my teens and he taught me that i could change and find the right path. His legacy has made me a better father myself.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Ive thought long and hard before posting this one.

My Mum and Dad were all about Fulwood barracks.

Grandad, on mums side, was based at the Barracks, he was a Londoner my Dad, a coal miner from Derbyshire ended up playing for the Army football team, during the war and ended up meeting my mum at fulwood barracks. They later married and Dad worked at Cortaulds. They had a pretty good Cricket team and he was wicket keeper for them. I remember so many of my early years of life were spent watching the cricket.

Those are my arly memories of my Dad. someone I looked up to, a sportsman who was very proud of his roots.

My favorite memory?

He found he was dying from lung cancer. He was devastated, obviously, however he decided however long was left he wanted to enjoy it. He did just that. Some of my last days with him were spent ion Nottingham at my uncles guest house. He took us to to watch the test at Trent Bridge. He will be remembered by some, Charlie Elliott, a Test umpire who went on to be a Test selector for a number of years.

They were wonderful days but when he died my life went into a massive downward spiral, i didnt recognise it but for quite a while it was if my life was being lived by someone else and I was just watching as an observer.

cut a long story short without details but I ended up in Avondale, I no longer wanted to live.

Never underestimate what grief can do to you. When he died I was the strong one I carried everyone, did all the leg work, organised everything.

I was proud of my Dad, still am but 35 years on this is still a very tough day.

Cherish your dads everyone.

sussexrob

Forum Patron
Patron
I would love to say great things about my Dad but he was a alcoholic ,the most selfish arse you could ever meet how my mum put up with him for so many years i will never know.

The only good thing to come out of it after five children of my own i followed the complete opposite path putting my family before anything else . I do have to admit though that one of my sons is a massive PNE fan the one thing he will have to live with forever now because of me.(poor sod)

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
I never really had a relationship with my Dad. He was an old school, old fashioned, strict catholic, disciplinarian and borderline violent man. I was an independent, cocky lad and had a stubborn streak that matched his. My childhood memories are tainted by fear and his right hand.
Then he had a stroke.
My Mum, brother and Sister have been caring for him since and we have actually developed a decent relationship in the last 14 years.
I strive to be a father the opposite of him.