Favourite Cars Owned..Old and New.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Never fancied a Kia, we have a Fiesta Zetac now, nothing bigger or the Mrs can't park it.

Jag XF, you must be rolling in it... :)
I just realised you said old and new. These are the 2 we have at present.

Technology wise the kia murders the jag.

My favourite ever old car was a Morris Minor 1000. I loved that car.

OP
outreacher

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I just realised you said old and new. These are the 2 we have at present.

Technology wise the kia murders the jag.

My favourite ever old car was a Morris Minor 1000. I loved that car.

I had a Morris Minor, somewhere around late 60's, early 70's it was a rust bucket when I bought it for £25, sold it for £45, to a bloke who loved them. I did have a Hillman Imp as well, used to have to weight it down on motorways as the boot (at the front), caused the front end to lift a bit, frightening.

The Jag must be expensive to maintain.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
I had a Morris Minor, somewhere around late 60's, early 70's it was a rust bucket when I bought it for £25, sold it for £45, to a bloke who loved them. I did have a Hillman Imp as well, used to have to weight it down on motorways as the boot (at the front), caused the front end to lift a bit, frightening.

The Jag must be expensive to maintain.
20 k services, that's all.

OP
outreacher

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
A Triumph Dolomite 1500 HL was my first love.
A Land Rover was my best mate for many years.
My future is an open-ended retirement road trip in a New Defender, on a journey I think I may never return from.

A definite ambition to try and fulfill, hope you manage it.. (y)

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
I had a black XR3i in the 80s. It was a joy to drive (and looked a lot better than the pic you posted!!)
I thought mine looked better than that too, but it must be rose tinted memory. Aerodynamics were obviously way behind today’s standard back then.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I thought mine looked better than that too, but it must be rose tinted memory. Aerodynamics were obviously way behind today’s standard back then.
The mark IV certainly looked better than the pic you posted, but you're right it was very much of the time. Things have moved on rather a lot in the last 30+ years. I'm sure if I drove one today my back wouldn't cope with it all: the suspension was so hard you could feel every bump in the road

OP
outreacher

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
The mark IV certainly looked better than the pic you posted, but you're right it was very much of the time. Things have moved on rather a lot in the last 30+ years. I'm sure if I drove one today my back wouldn't cope with it all: the suspension was so hard you could feel every bump in the road

Biggest problem in those days was the rust, almost impossible to keep it under control, my father was a genius on bodywork, fibre glass mesh and pudding as they used to call it and then a respray.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I've had some great cars and some terrible heaps of junk over the years. One I did really like was the Saab 9-3 which I had several of over the years. The Audi I have now is also a great piece of engineering and great to drive. I happily drove 600 miles in it with just a couple of refreshment breaks from Bilbao to the south west of Spain in the summer and, despite having a dodgy back, I was fine after 9 hours at the wheel.