PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fireworks night. 1970's

Who remembers building a bonfire? Lostock Hall recreation ground always used to have two bonfires. We'd compete with each other, who could build the biggest. We'd patrol the local neighbourhood asking for their mattresses and old sofas. Slowly our bonfires would build. Anything would be piled in. Asbestos? No problem. We'll burn it! There were rat's and all sorts by the time we'd finished. Those were the days. We'd put our spuds, wrapped tinfoil, to make our jacket potatoes. Those days are gone. I miss them. Share your memories. Don't forget The Anchor!

I remember me and my mates smashing sheets of asbestos over each others heads when we were young, we didn't have a clue what it was at the time, it was usually followed by sword fighting with old fluorescent tubes, the Joy's of living near a county council yard.

Haha! My old man used to let us roll the Mercury from old trip switches around in our hands. Fascinating stuff as a ten year old!

"Bommies" were always good fun, just dragged anything on to ours in our back field, mysteriously the next estate often used to raid ours in the night. My mum used to make treacle toffee for the night, and baked (burned) potatoes were delicious. A youth club I went too ( when I was a youth !) used to sell meat and potato pies with a crust on for a tanner I think. Burkenshaws over the bridge on Eldon Street sold glasses of pop on a tray for 2d, and where did mojo's and black jacks go too?

Down to the village petrol station/ garage to get tyres to start it - and trying to roll them back up a hill when we were too small and they seemed to weigh a tonne.

One time, a mate losing control of one and seeing it roll back and hurtling down 100 yds, missing parked cars, down towards and across the main road before crashing harmlessly into a garden wall. One of the hairier moments of my life. 😬

Penny for the guy mister?

We used to buy 10p mini rockets from the VG. We had racing handlebars on our push bikes. Loosened the central nut and turned them upside down taking the bungs out of the ends. Then you could poke the sticks from the rockets through where the brakes were along with the fuse paper. One at either end of a street, light the fuses, pedal like hell towards each other and there you had a firework jousting match. I wasn’t stupid though, I used to wear swimming goggles. 😎

Who remembers building a bonfire? Lostock Hall recreation ground always used to have two bonfires. We'd compete with each other, who could build the biggest. We'd patrol the local neighbourhood asking for their mattresses and old sofas. Slowly our bonfires would build. Anything would be piled in. Asbestos? No problem. We'll burn it! There were rat's and all sorts by the time we'd finished. Those were the days. We'd put our spuds, wrapped tinfoil, to make our jacket potatoes. Those days are gone. I miss them. Share your memories. Don't forget The Anchor!

I used to live on Hardcastle Road when I was a nipper.. Right opposite what we called " the tips " which is now Moorbrook School. It was a square piece of unused land surrounded by Ainslie Rd, Queens Rd and Symonds Road....... We used to spend weeks before Bommy night building our bommy (as did others from the same area) in competition for the biggest.....Now and again there was some tw*t that would burn it down before the night and then we had a last minute scramble to build another ( which we usually managed )

The night was always very well attended and my Mum used to make parched peas free for those attending and there was always a small queue outside our house for the sponging gits :)...Happy Dayz,

Thanks for prompting those memories Karl. (y)

We used to buy 10p mini rockets from the VG. We had racing handlebars on our push bikes. Loosened the central nut and turned them upside down taking the bungs out of the ends. Then you could poke the sticks from the rockets through where the brakes were along with the fuse paper. One at either end of a street, light the fuses, pedal like hell towards each other and there you had a firework jousting match. I wasn’t stupid though, I used to wear swimming goggles. 😎
Bet you looked a right twat too :ROFLMAO:

I remember me and my mates smashing sheets of asbestos over each others heads when we were young, we didn't have a clue what it was at the time, it was usually followed by sword fighting with old fluorescent tubes, the Joy's of living near a county council yard.

This explains so much 😂

"Bommies" were always good fun, just dragged anything on to ours in our back field, mysteriously the next estate often used to raid ours in the night. My mum used to make treacle toffee for the night, and baked (burned) potatoes were delicious. A youth club I went too ( when I was a youth !) used to sell meat and potato pies with a crust on for a tanner I think. Burkenshaws over the bridge on Eldon Street sold glasses of pop on a tray for 2d, and where did mojo's and black jacks go too?

You're not referring to the rec at the corner of Brook Street and Blackpool (spit) Road are you, Doctor?

Preston - the hotbed of invention ;)

We had to guard our bommie while trying to raid our rivals, if you could light one up it was a big win.

It led to a few fights as you can imagine. 😀

Edit: missed PNE-Karl’s post saying the same.

Last edited: