PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

First single and first album you ever bought.

I didn't buy singles, but taped 'em on a Sunday night on The Top 20 radio show. First album, I'll be honest, 'Gary Glitter's Greatest Hits'. In mitigation, I was about 10 and no longer have the offending item.

With what I`d saved from my first 3 months wages I bought a Rotel stereo system ( Incredibly reduced at a shop near the Poly, as it was) then went to Brady`s and bought 3 albums together..

1) Wish you were here ( Pink Floyd)
2) Dire Straits ( First album, after hearing them play ` Sultans of Swing` on the Old Grey Whistle Test.)
3) London Calling (The Clash)

Never once bought a single until a couple of years ago, and that was digital, so I guess it doesn`t count.

FWIW it was ` In between the Waves`, (by The War on Drugs) for sentimental reasons. I`ve never actually played it since , come to think of it.

With what I`d saved from my first 3 months wages I bought a Rotel stereo system ( Incredibly reduced at a shop near the Poly, as it was) then went to Brady`s and bought 3 albums together..

1) Wish you were here ( Pink Floyd)
2) Dire Straits ( First album, after hearing them play ` Sultans of Swing` on the Old Grey Whistle Test.)
3) London Calling (The Clash)

Never once bought a single until a couple of years ago, and that was digital, so I guess it doesn`t count.

FWIW it was ` In between the Waves`, (by The War on Drugs) for sentimental reasons. I`ve never actually played it since , come to think of it.
Kurt Vile is one of my favourite musicians. The guy is just incredible

Think that the first single I bought with my own money was Wuthering Heights - don't remember buying it, but my mum said I did. First one I remember was The Police - Walking on the Moon.

Albums - could have been The Shadows with 20 Golden Greats or Adam and the Ants with Prince Charming.

Single -I Hear You Knocking (Dave Edmunds)
Album - Glitter (Gary Glitter) - Whoops!!!

1st 7" Madness - Grey Day

1st Album I bought - Adam and The Ants - Kings Of The Wild Frontier

1st Album I asked to be bought for me - Motorhead - No Sleep Till Hammersmith (Live)

I can remember when in 5th year at Longridge High School in 1983 each Friday lunchtime we were allowed to play records in the gym. I made the mistake of playing Holiday In Cambodia 12 inch by Dead Kennedy's, which lasted for about 2 minutes until my chemistry teacher Mrs Chambers heard it and put a stop to it!!!

Great band.
Love that track and 1983 was a fantastic year...

And do you know what?

It was the Head Boy, Deputy Head Boy and Prefects who were playing music of this genre, well at least for a minute at at a time. Used to work on a milk round at the time and also did some collecting. Had more disposable income in real terms I think. Happy days.

Moved on to college, The Smiths, Bunnymen, Joy Divsion/New Order etc great times. Also discovered the Clash a bit late. Was always a big Jam fan though.:)

First single “ Life on Mars “ David Bowie - fantastic sleeve ( picture of Bowie )

First album Status Quo - can’t remember which one ( I bought every one )

First single was Bennie Hill... fastest milkman. I can still recite (most of) the words.
First album... don't remember. It was probably from Woollies... and one of those cheap "Top of the Pops" albums that all the latest hits, but with bands doing cover versions of them.

First album: Shear Heart Attack, Queen
First single: Caroline, Status Quo.

I still have them both plus about 50 7” singles and 200 Vinyl albums. Not as big as Nobber’s collection though, that’s impressive.

I’ve no intention of selling but going by EBay, a few are worth quite a bit. Mainly limited editions and bought on first day of release. You can tell the first releases by the numbers printed on the inside close to the label.

First single - This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers (1965)
Album - Four Tops Greatest Hits
Still love Northern Soul and Motown over 50 years later, especially some of the rare stuff.

I can remember that the first album I was given was Prince Charming.

I think the first singles I bought were Shout by Tears for Fears and Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade on the same day in early 1985.

My brain doesn’t remember.

I remember my mum broke her leg and whilst she was in RPH there was a trolley went round the wards with stuff on it you could buy. So my first ever seven inch was Keith and Orvilles “I wish I could fly”. Which worryingly means my actual first purchase was possibly Europe’s “Final Countdown”

Albums again I think I was bought my first one when I got my first record player, Bucks Fizz some sort of compilation. The. Michael Jackson’s “Bad” was probably the first I bought.

When we moved onto CDs it was The Mock Turtles “And the she smiles” that I picked up for 99p at WH Smith in St George’s for a single

For album U2 “Achtung Baby” I think

First single - This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers (1965)
Album - Four Tops Greatest Hits
Still love Northern Soul and Motown over 50 years later, especially some of the rare stuff.
My brother in law is a record dealer Simon and has lots of rare northern soul stuff. He deals with a lot of Japanese and U.S. Dealers and some of his items are worth thousands, which are basically going to become his pension once he stops working. He used to do a lot of record fairs in London which would earn him more than his job salary did over a year. He scaled it down a bit after moving out to the West Country a few years ago.

I didn't buy singles, but taped 'em on a Sunday night on The Top 20 radio show. First album, I'll be honest, 'Gary Glitter's Greatest Hits'. In mitigation, I was about 10 and no longer have the offending item.
I remember the Kismet Indian resturant in the 80s always used to play the weeks top 40, taped from a Sunday evening, on a loop as their background music!