PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Five subs rule back immediately

Like many others, I was initially against the idea of it being extended into this season because it gives a further advantage to bigger clubs with more expensive and better depth, but I think bringing it back for the rest of this season is now the correct decision.

The schedule is mad and we are seeing a lot of injuries and a lot of tired performances.

I also think if we‘d continued with only 3 subs, the national team would probably have a lot of very tired or injured players come the Euros in the summer, with most of those lads playing European club football too as well as an intense domestic schedule. Especially with TV companies giving them lunchtime kick offs after European away games.

That said I hope in the long-term when we are back to a relatively normal place that it goes back to 3 subs.

think likelyhood is this will now be in for good and won't help us long term if that's the case.

agree with it for now tho

This, IMHO, will weaken us as a squad. Other clubs have much greater quality in depth than we have.

This is great news. We need to be taking full advantage of this to not only rest our key players but also take the chance to blood in youngsters and offer injections of pace and flair off the bench, as well as getting match unfit players off the bench when we've either secured the win or the game is beyond us; Earl is a big winner here.

We've got a good squad and the benefits of this could make a real difference in terms of league position.

This is great news. We need to be taking full advantage of this to not only rest our key players but also take the chance to blood in youngsters and offer injections of pace and flair off the bench, as well as getting match unfit players off the bench when we've either secured the win or the game is beyond us; Earl is a big winner here.

We've got a good squad and the benefits of this could make a real difference in terms of league position.

I agree with you, although the last time I was confident we had secured the win was the Play Off Final.

And that was only when we had reached time added on for stoppages.

It will probably do the opposite should it reduce the number of injuries as many predict.
Cant argue against that, certainly in the short term. Longer term I think we will be found wanting in squad depth.

hopefully it will stop us finishing games with 10 men and 1 limping. its about time it reverted to lockdown rules.

seeing as how most of our squad are equal in ability then it cant harm us to have the options..

Useful to prevent having to finish a game short-handed if you have already used your 3 changes.
But a bit of a red herring to claim it prevents injuries, effectively it allows managers to give 2 more players a 10 minute rest.

Useful to prevent having to finish a game short-handed if you have already used your 3 changes.
But a bit of a red herring to claim it prevents injuries, effectively it allows managers to give 2 more players a 10 minute rest.

There is that but with 3 subs, if a player picks up a knock and youve used 2 subs, there's the temptation to leave him on hope he can run it off. just in case a tactical sub needs to be made.

There's definitely a reduced injury risk. If 5 subs reduces each player's average game time by about 10 minutes that reduction of load could be pivotal in highly congested periods.

There is that but with 3 subs, if a player picks up a knock and youve used 2 subs, there's the temptation to leave him on hope he can run it off. just in case a tactical sub needs to be made.
Which, of course, happened to Hughes last game. He had to stay on and likely worsened his injury when under these rulings Earl could have come on.

Which, of course, happened to Hughes last game. He had to stay on and likely worsened his injury when under these rulings Earl could have come on.
though actually he couldnt..... the original 5 subs rules stated only 3 sub breaks i.e. you could make double subs but not 4 or 5 individual ones.... We had made the 3 changes when AH got injured... but had he been feeling tight earlier he could have asked to come off I guess.

I would like to see the 5 Subs Rule to be implemented fulltime into the Rule Book.

At the very least, squad harmony would improve as you'd have two extra players with a realistic chance of some game time rather than just making up the bench numbers.

Can a mod please change the title, its now coming into effect immediately.

I was reading through the thread - planning to strongly make the point- if it’s the right decision to have five subs, then what the hell are they thinking about waiting a couple of weeks before implementing it?!