PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Fleetwood Town v PNE - 25/07/23 - KO:7PM - Friendly

Surely he plays left/central which really isn't out on the left..out on the left I'd left wingback.

I presume he plays left/central so he can cut in on his right and take shots
They’ve found the round hole for the square peg… stick him out on the left..

Just looking at the highlights now, and he looked very central to me? Got himself in a couple of good scoring positions in the box too

Seary's tackle all blood and thunder, no issues with it won the ball and took the man but nothing crazy.

The one on Leigh is horrible, it's a stamp onto his shin and no intention of winning the ball with that action, if you watch earlier in the highlights they'd been having a bit of a do at each other.

Encouraging that Mads looks like he’s going to attack the 18 yard box as often as he can. Looks more offensively minded than DJ in that respect. Possibly more physically dynamic as well.

Some nice linkup play shown by Keane. I think there’s a good chance he’ll turn out to be a very useful option for us.

I really like the look of Best as well. Comfortable with the ball at his feet, tenacious and definitely not lacking physically for the men’s game. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a bit more of him this season that most people expect

Encouraging that Mads looks like he’s going to attack the 18 yard box as often as he can. Looks more offensively minded than DJ in that respect. Possibly more physically dynamic as well.

Some nice linkup play shown by Keane. I think there’s a good chance he’ll turn out to be a very useful option for us.

I really like the look of Best as well. Comfortable with the ball at his feet, tenacious and definitely not lacking physically for the men’s game. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a bit more of him this season that most people expect
In the Aberdeen highlights we saw Mads clamouring for the ball on more than one occasion and thinking very positively. All good, hopefully that confidence and willingness to get involved and take responsibility doesn't leave him.

In the Aberdeen highlights we saw Mads clamouring for the ball on more than one occasion and thinking very positively. All good, hopefully that confidence and willingness to get involved and take responsibility doesn't leave him.
I’d be surprised if it does. The demeanour he gives off, IMO, is someone who is self-assured without being arrogant. He might very well endure a run where goals dry up but, from the looks of highlight reels, he’s cultivated a game for himself at OB that is almost entirely predicated on taking risks and being very assertive in the final third. We’ll see.

Seary's tackle all blood and thunder, no issues with it won the ball and took the man but nothing crazy.

The one on Leigh is horrible, it's a stamp onto his shin and no intention of winning the ball with that action, if you watch earlier in the highlights they'd been having a bit of a do at each other.
I hate to be a broken record but whether he won the ball or not is nothing to do with it. Take that out of your thinking. The bolded sections are the relevant bit here.

Like I said earlier, as the law is written I can understand why he was sent of.

Whether the law is what you think it should be is another story but it is what it is.

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

I hate to be a broken record but whether he won the ball or not is nothing to do with it. Take that out of your thinking. The bolded sections are the relevant bit here.

Whether the law is what you think it should be is another story but it is what it is.

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Fair enough mate, didn't realise that was the letter of the law.

I have said it to people around me on the Finney before when cards have been shown, it's the law even if you don't agree with it.

Fair enough mate, didn't realise that was the letter of the law.

I have said it to people around me on the Finney before when cards have been shown, it's the law even if you don't agree with it.
Pundits do nothing to help this very common misunderstanding. You still have lazy fuckers like Shearer coming out with this sort of stuff and when you get refs on telling it how it actually is they get ignored or abused.

Having watched the highlights I would agree that we are moving the ball about with more purpose and that Seary was harshly treated by the referee. One other thing - notice how after Seary is shown the red card Rodriguez-Gentile harangues the referee. That lad gives everything he has - he has great skill and real character.
Love how all the youth players are more than happy to get involved in a scrap if it means protecting one of their own. Not scared of a challenge these lot.

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

Still don't think it's a sending off, the ball was Seary's all day. In fact, it looks to me like took the ball before the Fleetwood lad even put his foot in. Strong, one footed tackle. Only case you could make is studs are showing but he's made such clear contact with the ball first, it's a non-starter. Never a red.

Not a pretty picture but actually it’s good to see that that’s the reason he was hobbling so badly.

You’d think that stud damage going to be sore for a week or so - and perhaps keep him out of any matches in that time, but that type injury shouldn’t stop him training and no lasting damage. Presumably no ligament damage or anything that could have been a lot worse.

Yes, red cards in friendlies do result in a suspension for a league fixture.
I've heard of referees in friendlies asking the manager to take a player off otherwise he'd have to book him / send him off , and they usually oblige so they can at least start the season proper with a clean slate .

From what I can gather it depends if the referee reports it ( which he's entitled to do so ) ??

As an aside , Harry Redknapp when West Ham's assistant manager ; put an abusive fan on against non league ( now National League ) Oxford City .

Love how all the youth players are more than happy to get involved in a scrap if it means protecting one of their own. Not scared of a challenge these lot.

Still don't think it's a sending off, the ball was Seary's all day. In fact, it looks to me like took the ball before the Fleetwood lad even put his foot in. Strong, one footed tackle. Only case you could make is studs are showing but he's made such clear contact with the ball first, it's a non-starter. Never a red.
As I said, winning the ball or not is not a factor in this. Neither is the number of feet.

Key points.
1/ I think we can agree it was a lunge.
2/ Was the force excessive?
3/ Was it dangerous?

People will argue both ways depending on how they like to see the game played. Personally I'm 50:50 as I like a hard tackle but don't like players getting injured. Overall I thought it was a poorly executed tackle (if you go in that hard you should make bloody sure you're in full control of yourself to remove all doubt) and a booking was perhaps the right decision but can see why the ref felt differently.