PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Food expiry dates

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
1. Do you dispose of after the expiry date?

2. If not, what's the oldest food item you've eaten (keep it as clean as possible please)

3. Did it taste good?

4. How long did you spend sitting on the porcelain?

Go......

Are we talking “use by” or “best before”?

(Invokes VAR)

Are we talking “use by” or “best before”?

(Invokes VAR)

Technically, they're both the same.

From personal experience, I've been used by the same day as best before 👍.

No VAR in 'Off topic' 😉

Quite strict on expiry dates this lad, so don't have any gruesome stories about eating 3 week off ham or owt.

I wouldn't even touch 2 day out of date bread.

I did work with a guy once who left his butties (white bread) sweating in a hot van in a plastic tupperware box, which resulted in them being covered in loads of mould speckles by dinner. He didn't even bat an eyelid and started to tuck into them 🤮..... Never trusted the guy or looked at him the same ever again.

Mrs S and I were cleaning out some cupboards (a couple of years ago) and we came across a packet of 'Bisto' gravy that had got pushed right to the back.

1. We did not chuck it out

2. The use by/best before date was November 1996.

3. We then chucked it out 😂😂

Technically, they're both the same.

From personal experience, I've been used by the same day as best before 👍.

No VAR in 'Off topic' 😉
They're not exactly the same at all. Use by is an instruction not to use/eat after a certain date, this where food can become dangerous after that date, this includes possible salmonella poisoning etc. Best before means you can eat it anytime but it won't be as nice if you eat it after the use by date.

Some things seem to be okay after their sell by date, while also having the ability to surprise you earlier. I've had bread a week passed its date, but then if the weather has been humid you end up having to chuck a whole loaf that's spoilt.
Same with salads, they can last days after the date.
I think I've had things a year old, but that's it.
I have only suffered food poisoning from takeaways, it's a blessing and a curse, but my brain just seems to be averse to vomiting.

Some things seem to be okay after their sell by date, while also having the ability to surprise you earlier. I've had bread a week passed its date, but then if the weather has been humid you end up having to chuck a whole loaf that's spoilt.
Same with salads, they can last days after the date.
I think I've had things a year old, but that's it.
I have only suffered food poisoning from takeaways, it's a blessing and a curse, but my brain just seems to be averse to vomiting.
Mr anti gag… 😂

Quite strict on expiry dates this lad, so don't have any gruesome stories about eating 3 week off ham or owt.

I wouldn't even touch 2 day out of date bread.

I did work with a guy once who left his butties (white bread) sweating in a hot van in a plastic tupperware box, which resulted in them being covered in loads of mould speckles by dinner. He didn't even bat an eyelid and started to tuck into them 🤮..... Never trusted the guy or looked at him the same ever again.

I'm the same as you.

Start doubting things within a couple days of their best before date. Won't touch a pack of crisps that are due in the same month.

The missus doesn't care for it. She'll get a piece of mouldy bread out the cupboard and say "it's fine if you scrape the mould off." Weirdo.

My, unfortunate, story is that I had some fried eggs on toast about 3 weeks back. Spent the night sat on the toilet sweating buckets. Following morning I was hugging the bowl. Felt like I lost half a stone inside 24 hours. Culprit was the eggs being out of date by about 10 days. Missus said she was keeping the eggs for the dog. Poor thing.

I'm the same as you.

Start doubting things within a couple days of their best before date. Won't touch a pack of crisps that are due in the same month.

The missus doesn't care for it. She'll get a piece of mouldy bread out the cupboard and say "it's fine if you scrape the mould off." Weirdo.

My, unfortunate, story is that I had some fried eggs on toast about 3 weeks back. Spent the night sat on the toilet sweating buckets. Following morning I was hugging the bowl. Felt like I lost half a stone inside 24 hours. Culprit was the eggs being out of date by about 10 days. Missus said she was keeping the eggs for the dog. Poor thing.
I got food poisoning in India once, I had my head in the sink and my arse on the bog at the same time, horrible.
I’ve been to India about a half dozen times but that was my only bad experience. The one other time I got food poisoning was from a kebab shop in Brighton! 😂

I'm the same as you.

I’m well paranoid about the dates on food.

I check everything before I eat it, fresh food, tins, eggs, cheese, ham, ready meals, bread, crisps, the lot.

I got food poisoning in India once, I had my head in the sink and my arse on the bog at the same time, horrible.
I’ve been to India about a half dozen times but that was my only bad experience. The one other time I got food poisoning was from a kebab shop in Brighton! 😂
It's when your arse is in the sink and your head is in the bog that you know you made a fatal mistake. Indian street food looks amazing but yeah, probably just stick to Chaiiwala and RK in Preston!

I'm the same as you.

Honestly the crisps would be fine, if maybe a bit stale. I still eat them but that's not a criticism of you or anyone else.

I also just remove a bit of mould from bread (a bit that is).

As to eggs, you can smell a bad one. They should last well past any consume by dates, particularly if you keep them in the fridge. (I'm sure you know that anyway). Of course if you eat enough bad egg, it certainly would upset your guts.

I actually got really ill (temperature/gastro etc from eating a cooked potato, believe it or not. It must have been bad in the middle and big gob swallowed it before my eyes clocked it. Always careful now to examine potatoes which admittedly is a bit weird when you think about it.

Steak 2 days out?, I just cook it an extra 2 mins each side, never been ill.

Milk, longest I've got out of it before going off (for brews) was 6 weeks. Usually get a good 2 weeks Out of Date out of it.

Bread, 2 days out, still reet for my cheese on toast.

Green Beans, 2 days out, nay bother, straight in the pan of boiling water.

Eggs, 1 day out, straight into an omelette. Yum Yum.

Ate some fish (Sea Bass) yesterday that was 2 days out, 90 seconds each side, delicious!!!

Too much fuss is placed on Sell by Dates and Use By Dates, they are mere guidelines.

Probably explains why I am a young looking 52 (seriously).

I had a steak once in the restaurant of a hotel we stayed at half way to Norfolk (can't remember where) and it tasted a bit funny but looked and smelled okay so I carried on anyway.

Holy shit! The next morning I was feeling a bit dodge, went to the bathroom and whoosh, the world fell out of my arse. Now the bad thing is, only the world fell out, there was still the galaxy and the rest of the universe! Seriously, I had about 15 toilet breaks on the rest of the journey, some that were incredibly close calls. I know how Alex Ferguson felt that time he got caught speeding! When we got to our destination (my ex's Aunty's place who I'd never met, and whose extended family were there to meet us and have dinner, and then we stay over) I regularly had to leave the table (I didn't eat, obvs) or the group conversation in the lounge to trot off to the toilet. Not the best first impression I wanted to make!

I certainly don't stick to best before dates/use by dates, but I forever will when it comes to steak!! 🥩🚽🧻😯

It's when your arse is in the sink and your head is in the bog that you know you made a fatal mistake. Indian street food looks amazing but yeah, probably just stick to Chaiiwala and RK in Preston!
RK's bhajis and samosas OMG! Never tasted better even in my time in Leicester. Not tried Chailwala, can you recommend it? Another reason to get back on Deepdale?

Milk, longest I've got out of it before going off (for brews) was 6 weeks. Usually get a good 2 weeks Out of Date out of it.

Bread, 2 days out, still reet for my cheese on toast.

Green Beans, 2 days out, nay bother, straight in the pan of boiling water.

Eggs, 1 day out, straight into an omelette. Yum Yum.

Ate some fish (Sea Bass) yesterday that was 2 days out, 90 seconds each side, delicious!!!

Too much fuss is placed on Sell by Dates and Use By Dates, they are mere guidelines.

Probably explains why I am a young looking 52 (seriously).

Feel sick just reading that. Vile bastard 🤣. The milk line has got my stomach turning.

Regarding your last sentence, I'd never have put you at 52.