PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Forest Green Rovers

budgierustler

Patron
Well done to the lads from the village of Nailsworth in Gloucestershire pop. 5,800, on your promotion to the Football League.

Look forward to to seeing you at some point.

Last edited:
Well done to the lads from the village of Nailsworth in Gloucestershire pop. 5,800, on you promotion to the Football League.

Its a magnificent achievement .......... A Village team in the football league !

I know that they are well backed financially but nevertheless....

Well done to the lads from the village of Nailsworth in Gloucestershire pop. 5,800, on you promotion to the Football League.

Its a magnificent achievement .......... A Village team in the football league !

I know that they are well backed financially but nevertheless....

In terms of a place's population, that is madness!

I live in Clayton-Le-Woods, just a small suburban area and at the last census, the population here was 14,532 - 2.5 times the size of this place! How bizarre.

From glancing at a map however, I see it is just outside the town of Stroud also, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't have much in the way of a Football team, so I wouldn't be surprised if lot of their support is derived from local places like that.

The name 'Forest Green Rovers' is hardly fixated on any particular town / village either, so their probably more a team of the 'area'.

They seem like a southern version of AFC Fylde, a lot of similarities between them when you think about it.

In terms of a place's population, that is madness!

I live in Clayton-Le-Woods, just a small suburban area and at the last census, the population here was 14,532 - 2.5 times the size of this place! How bizarre.

From glancing at a map however, I see it is just outside the town of Stroud also, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't have much in the way of a Football team, so I wouldn't be surprised if lot of their support is derived from local places like that.

The name 'Forest Green Rovers' is hardly fixated on any particular town / village either, so their probably more a team of the 'area'.

They seem like a southern version of AFC Fylde, a lot of similarities between them when you think about it.

Used to know a lot of hippies and pagan people down in the Cotswolds - a few of those go to Forest Green because of the environmental thing. Suspect there might be a few folk from Gloucester, too.

Although they appear to be minnows I doubt very much that their wage bill is..........Parkin and Carter wouldn't have gone there for peanuts that's for sure... :)

Although they appear to be minnows I doubt very much that their wage bill is..........Parkin and Carter wouldn't have gone there for peanuts that's for sure... :)

Their manager is Mark Cooper of Swindon 0-4 PNE fame....I doubt he comes cheap either. Their owner puts in millions a year in subsidies......

Their manager is Mark Cooper of Swindon 0-4 PNE fame....I doubt he comes cheap either. Their owner puts in millions a year in subsidies......

Hmmmm..... Not quite paupers are they?......... Good luck to them anyway, although I'd have preferred to see Tranmere make a return.

Hmmmm..... Not quite paupers are they?......... Good luck to them anyway, although I'd have preferred to see Tranmere make a return.

No it's a fairy tale with huge wedges of cash involved.....so not quite the romantic journey that they'd like us to think they've taken.

I feel personally that this season highlights that there needs to be a change in the number of teams that go up and down between the 4th and 5th tiers, as at the moment it's only two teams and teams that simply aren't non-League sides like Tranmere are missing out and their ambition is going unrewarded.

Tranmere finished 2nd, 4 points behind the champions Lincoln and 9 points ahead of Forest Green in 3rd. In any other league above the National League, this would result in automatic promotion. They are currently the lowest they have ever been in their history.

Newport finished 3rd bottom in L2 by the skin of their teeth. In any other league, including National Leagues North and South, this would result in relegation. Their ground has been the cause of postponement after postponement over the last 3 seasons because the pitch is of a shocking quality. Oh, and they aren't English - but that's another story. In any other league, they would be down and honestly they would have deserved it had they gone back down.

It isn't the first time teams have been slowed down by this - Luton reached two playoff finals in the National League that they lost before finally getting up, and in the 3 seasons since then they have finished in the top half of the table, this year just missing out on automatic promotion in 4th. Grimsby only got up last year after 6 years in that division and a total of 3 playoff finishes, this season they finished closer to the playoffs than the relegation places. AFC Wimbledon, now in the same league as MK Dons... etc etc.

Could say that this is Scousers just claiming to be hard-done by, but in all fairness I would be pissed off I were them.

I feel personally that this season highlights that there needs to be a change in the number of teams that go up and down between the 4th and 5th tiers, as at the moment it's only two teams and teams that simply aren't non-League sides like Tranmere are missing out and their ambition is going unrewarded.

Tranmere finished 2nd, 4 points behind the champions Lincoln and 9 points ahead of Forest Green in 3rd. In any other league above the National League, this would result in automatic promotion. They are currently the lowest they have ever been in their history.

Newport finished 3rd bottom in L2 by the skin of their teeth. In any other league, including National Leagues North and South, this would result in relegation. Their ground has been the cause of postponement after postponement over the last 3 seasons because the pitch is of a shocking quality. Oh, and they aren't English - but that's another story. In any other league, they would be down and honestly they would have deserved it had they gone back down.

It isn't the first time teams have been slowed down by this - Luton reached two playoff finals in the National League that they lost before finally getting up, and in the 3 seasons since then they have finished in the top half of the table, this year just missing out on automatic promotion in 4th. Grimsby only got up last year after 6 years in that division and a total of 3 playoff finishes, this season they finished closer to the playoffs than the relegation places. AFC Wimbledon, now in the same league as MK Dons... etc etc.

Could say that this is Scousers just claiming to be hard-done by, but in all fairness I would be pissed off I were them.

100% the gap between the national league and league 2 has gotten much smaller in recent years (perhaps as a side effect of the championship growing closer to the PL). More than 2 should go up and down between the 4th and 5th tier.

If it we're up-to me, there would be four promotion / relegation spots between all of the top 5 leagues, just like there is currently between Leagues 1 & 2 - would help keep leagues a bit 'fresher'.

The vegan pies are supposed to be epic tho....

Albeit this one is certainly more of an eco-ego-owner.

Well of course I would be right at the front of the queue to applaud him for the vegan thing.......is it possible to eat at a football ground if you're a vegan? I've not yet found anywhere.

But as for the other shit, I really am not sure about how good his eco-credentials are. I don't quite see how building over 100 acres of countryside with a new ground (see below) can be in anyway good for the environment.

_84335647_stadium_new.jpg

They lost £10 million this season alone and spent hundreds of thousands on agent fees. Their owner is confident of going straight up again, I'm not surprised with the amount he spends!