Former PNE Players Thread

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Seems it’s down to injury, he says 2-3 years ago. Think it’s a shin injury he picked up with us in October 2015. It was meant to keep him out for 2 months but actually kept him out for the rest of the season.

Hard-worker and strong athlete but lacked the technical ability, especially at Championship level.
Had a bone graft I believe and then had further issues with it last year when on loan at Barrow

bigtallsi

Reserve
Schemer;n3404326 said:
Shocked and sad to read this about former player Steve Elliott. I'm sure all PNE fans wish him the best as he battles this awful disease.

https://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.com/news/supporting-former-footballers-living-with-dementia
Thank you for this as I hadn't seen it before. My uncle is in this picture, ex pro footballer, and is struggling badly. At least (if that's the right phrase) he's in his 80's, Steve Elliot is ruddy 60

Dementia is shit on a stick

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
justinr73;n3412627 said:
Add skin cancer for Mick Robinson too sadly.
Really? Wonder if it's his time in Spain.

Of course Lawro also got skin cancer.

Used to like Steve Elliot. Got a fair few goals for us. Pretty athletic. Wonder if it's just one of those things, or lots of headers. We were always told by the older generation that the balls we played with were like beach-balls compared to their day. But actually, they were still bloody heavy compared to today. Good luck to him.

Dirty Harry

First Team
Awful news, I wish Steve well. Nice fella, once gave me and my mate his free tickets for the Piper as we were stood outside as he said he wasn't going in himself.
Saw David Moyes yesterday too in the Rivington services.

Roger Mellie

Reserve
Just watched Daryl Horgan get hooked at half time for Hibs v Rangers. He was playing in the middle tip of the diamond. Safe to say I don't think we will regret letting him go judging on his performance. Same old story looked half decent running with the ball but his decision making and passing were awful.
Very entertaining game and how Rangers did not
​​​​​​ score is beyond me, must have had 20 good chances and a blatent penalty denied. The Colombian lad up front was head and shoulders above anyone else even tho he should have had
​​​​​​a hatrick

Dirty Harry

First Team
Been reading Peter Crouch's book over Xmas. He tells a story about Carlo Nash. Carlo would turn up at Stoke in the very latest boots in the latest designs and colours before even Stoke's big name international stars had got them. The others, thoroughly pissed off, would be phoning their boot sponsors demanding to know why a 40 year old reserve keeper was being sent the boots before them. It turned out Carlo was ordering them off eBay the day they came out!

northender1881

First Team
Dirty Harry;n3418612 said:
Been reading Peter Crouch's book over Xmas. He tells a story about Carlo Nash. Carlo would turn up at Stoke in the very latest boots in the latest designs and colours before even Stoke's big name international stars had got them. The others, thoroughly pissed off, would be phoning their boot sponsors demanding to know why a 40 year old reserve keeper was being sent the boots before them. It turned out Carlo was ordering them off eBay the day they came out!
That is brilliant, bit sad also, but funny anyway.

northender2

First Team
Just seen Matt Hill has just singed for Stafford Rangers at the age of 37 (thought he'd be older than that to be honest)

Aitch

Forum Patron
Patron
Reports say that Bristol City have said Josh Brownhill can leave for a Premier League club if the right bid comes in.Leicester, Bournemouth & Brighton reportedly interested

Ohnotagain

Youth Team
northender2;n3418887 said:
Just seen Matt Hill has just singed for Stafford Rangers at the age of 37 (thought he'd be older than that to be honest)
He's just got a job coaching Blackpool's U14 Academy boys.

pbc373

Forum Patron
Patron
Scott Laird going on loan to Walsall from Forest Green. Seems odd, only played once for FGR this season who are in the division below & that was in the EFL Cup in August. Did well on loan for Walsall once before, so they must like him

northender1881

First Team
Odd move indeed for Lairdy, but good luck to him, always liked him when he was here and seemed a good egg.

Was just never the same player after that leg break sadly.