PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Formula 1 - 2022

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new cars? Apart from them 2 laps between Max and Charles I don’t think the racing improved that much, whether that’s because drivers and teams are still learning about their cars or not. I personally think they’re too heavy, they look slow and sluggish especially in the corners. However teams have been struggling to meet the maximum weight this year so doubt they’ll be able to go even lower next year.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new cars? Apart from them 2 laps between Max and Charles I don’t think the racing improved that much, whether that’s because drivers and teams are still learning about their cars or not. I personally think they’re too heavy, they look slow and sluggish especially in the corners. However teams have been struggling to meet the maximum weight this year so doubt they’ll be able to go even lower next year.
Hard to say
Not a good track to make any judgement

Thought it looked better keeping them close together, midfield did a lot of changing places

Problem is Bahrain is only really good for overtaking at the end of the straights, which these cars don’t look as good for

Also, less balls to the wall early on this season because of the cost cap

Did anyone else pick up in Hamilton's post race interview, after referring to the other teams and drivers by name, but when it came to Red Bull he just referred to them as "the other two cars"? :)

Thought it looked better keeping them close together, midfield did a lot of changing places

Problem is Bahrain is only really good for overtaking at the end of the straights, which these cars don’t look as good for

Also, less balls to the wall early on this season because of the cost cap
The biggest surprise for me was how ineffective DRS seemed, the Red Bull's were fastest in a straight line and the DRS hardly seemed to have any effect on the.

That’s true to be fair. It will be interesting to see how they all perform at Australia next month after they’ve updated the track. Meant to be faster and better for overtaking now.
I was in Jeddah a few weeks back and we went to look at the track - what track !! Everything had been ripped up
So I’m expecting a brand new surface on the fastest track - that will be a good indicator I think

The biggest surprise for me was how ineffective DRS seemed, the Red Bull's were fastest in a straight line and the DRS hardly seemed to have any effect on the.
I disagree, the few times Max had DRS he was going almost 40km/h faster than Charles (admittedly with slipstream and battery)

Don’t forget, Bahrains other two straights are tiny, and Ferraris engine is significantly faster accelerating and better out of the turns than the RB. So Max wasn’t getting close in those two

I disagree, the few times Max had DRS he was going almost 40km/h faster than Charles (admittedly with slipstream and battery)

Don’t forget, Bahrains other two straights are tiny, and Ferraris engine is significantly faster accelerating and better out of the turns than the RB. So Max wasn’t getting close in those two
That's not inconsistent with what I was saying. The Red Bull was the quicker car so when Verstappen had DRS he was even quicker. It was more that other cars wouldn't have been able to pass Red Bull on the straights, even with DRS.

That's not inconsistent with what I was saying. The Red Bull was the quicker car so when Verstappen had DRS he was even quicker. It was more that other cars wouldn't have been able to pass Red Bull on the straights, even with DRS.
Again, hard to judge because Charles wasn’t behind Verstappen and Carlos wasn’t behind Perez. And the Merc engine is crap this year. The acceleration on the Ferrari should hopefully negate that effect everywhere other than Monza, Mexico, China, Austin. The places with huge straights

The likes of Silverstone and Austria should hopefully be equally matched

Again, hard to judge because Charles wasn’t behind Verstappen and Carlos wasn’t behind Perez. And the Merc engine is crap this year. The acceleration on the Ferrari should hopefully negate that effect everywhere other than Monza, Mexico, China, Austin. The places with huge straights

The likes of Silverstone and Austria should hopefully be equally matched
We’ll have to wait and see, but I predict that DRS won‘t give as big of a differential this season as it has done. You have a point though, Silverstone and Austria might prove me wrong.

We’ll have to wait and see, but I predict that DRS won‘t give as big of a differential this season as it has done. You have a point though, Silverstone and Austria might prove me wrong.
I think that’s the aim. I just hope it doesn’t go the other way an ruin it

They want DRS gone by next year if they can

Did anyone else pick up on the comment about them phasing out tyre warmers? Might be a step too far in my opinion, but could make thing interesting!

For the first race it wasnt the worst. Still hard to tell exactly where the teams are at in terms of their true pace. Ferrari looked very impressive though and it's great to see them back at the front of the grid! If Merc can get their act together it could be a very good and open championship this year.

Fair play to Haas and K.Mag!!

Biggest disappointment was McLaren. It was like a throw back to a few years ago when they were really struggling.

I haven’t followed much pre-season stuff. Are Mercedes knackered - or can they resolve? I heard this thing about porpoising but not read what’s causing it.

I was in and out of the race yesterday - but what I saw included the bit where Le Clerc and Max were ding donging, and then the full last dozen+ laps - so I was surprised to read that it was generally a boring race. Apart from the safety car laps, it looked like a thriller to me!

I haven’t followed much pre-season stuff. Are Mercedes knackered - or can they resolve? I heard this thing about porpoising but not read what’s causing it.

I was in and out of the race yesterday - but what I saw included the bit where Le Clerc and Max were ding donging, and then the full last dozen+ laps - so I was surprised to read that it was generally a boring race. Apart from the safety car laps, it looked like a thriller to me!
According to Ted from sky they don’t fully understand how to solve the issue. But it can take a few weeks to fix and for the parts. He predicted Imola being the first race where we see them at their true pace.

I wouldn't say thriller, but it was a good race. The scrap between LeClerc and Verstappen after the first pit stops was really good.