PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fracking

I guess the answer is not to attack the net zero aim but to tackle the circling vultures. Trouble is this lot are rearing and feeding them.
The costs of converting all homes to net-zero, including solar panels and insulation, would be a massive task. I have been reading some reports. The cost and payback would take 20 years before the costs would be recuperated. I can't see big-oil allowing the government to do that, as they would have to look elsewhere to line their pockets.

I have only looked at 2 reports, going to check out, more, here is one.
https://www.fondthinker.com/politics-economics/we-can-afford-to-insulate-britain/

Lots of research going into insulating homes, but the government are not interested, better to cut taxes for the rich.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ould-insulating-britain-save-the-average-home

It has to start somewhere, and it has to start now, pointless talking about it, then doing nothing.

Last edited:

Nationalised energy could save UK households up to £4,400, TUC says​

Exclusive: Analysis shows government could use profits from public energy firm to cut bills and insulate homes

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-could-save-uk-households-up-to-4400-tuc-says

British households will each miss out on up to £4,400 over the next two years because the UK does not have a nationalised energy generation company, the Trades Union Congress has said.

The UK’s main trade union body is calling on the government to set up a “public energy champion” that could own low-carbon energy projects from wind and solar to tidal and nuclear power.

In a new analysis seen by the Guardian, the TUC estimates that the government could use excess profits made by this public company to cut bills and insulate homes, improving their energy efficiency.

The TUC argues that if the UK had a state-backed energy generation company akin to France’s EDF, EnBW in Germany or Sweden’s Vattenfall, it would receive between £63bn and £122bn in revenues over the next two years. That is equivalent to between £2,250 and £4,400 a household.

Everyone! Massive flood defences do cost billions. Clean up operations from hurricanes and floods. Wars that will be caused by people desperate for water because their lakes and rivers have dried up.... these will cost multibillions even before you begin to count the economic, environmental and social disasters associated with disappearing lakes, glaciers. etc etc.. I could go on with so much more... but you get the picture.
You really believe all the scaremongering modelling forecasts?

Everyone! Massive flood defences do cost billions. Clean up operations from hurricanes and floods. Wars that will be caused by people desperate for water because their lakes and rivers have dried up.... these will cost multibillions even before you begin to count the economic, environmental and social disasters associated with disappearing lakes, glaciers. etc etc.. I could go on with so much more... but you get the picture.
Climate deniers will argue strongly against this.

I guess the answer is not to attack the net zero aim but to tackle the circling vultures. Trouble is this lot are rearing and feeding them.
Don't have an issue with that - the problem, for me, is that corporations and politicians will manipulate people for their own ends - turning goodwill into a vehicle to support exploitative policies. That is already happening with the carbon trading and carbon offset schemes. You want to bring in a tax that screws the poorest - call it a green tax and build support.

Covid showed us how governments and big business will happily manipulate good intentions.

The costs of converting all homes to net-zero, including solar panels and insulation, would be a massive task. I have been reading some reports. The cost and payback would take 20 years before the costs would be recuperated. I can't see big-oil allowing the government to do that, as they would have to look elsewhere to line their pockets.
I don't consider a mere (imo) pair of Decades as very long in the overall picture of the future for your children's children etc.
I have only looked at 2 reports, going to check out, more, here is one.
https://www.fondthinker.com/politics-economics/we-can-afford-to-insulate-britain/
Lots of research going into insulating homes, but the government are not interested, better to cut taxes for the rich.
It's much easier for them, & keeps the existing Whitehall staff with a set of new calculations to factor-in.
They could create their own or approved to Building Regs standards Insulation Firms. Surely some Tory MP's ( along with any other investors- (& why not?) ) would perk-up their ears to such a proposal.