PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fracking

MJB;n3405850 said:
You still cant answer can you? Come on, where do you think we should get our gas from? I know we need to phase it our but what about the interim period? Continue to ship it in on boats at a huge environmental cost? Or increase the amount of gas we get from Mr Putin and risk the continuity of supply?

Oh come on... That's hardly a reason to knock ten bells of shit out of the earth without knowing the consequences is it?... I've read loads on this subject and the opinions are split...therefore it's plain to see that no one has a bloody clue what the long term effects of fracking are, even worse some don't even appear to care..Either way, I'm still no wiser but your take on it is interesting.

MJB;n3405850 said:
You still cant answer can you? Come on, where do you think we should get our gas from? I know we need to phase it our but what about the interim period? Continue to ship it in on boats at a huge environmental cost? Or increase the amount of gas we get from Mr Putin and risk the continuity of supply?

You seem to be implying that these shipments form a substantial part of our gas supply and yet they're only a minuscule fraction of it (0.32%). And at a time when demand for gas is reducing.

I'm sure that even such a fracking cheerleader as yourself could think of many simple and effective ways to reduce demand further and to produce a much larger proportion of our energy needs by clean, renewable methods.

26-0;n3405989 said:
You seem to be implying that these shipments form a substantial part of our gas supply and yet they're only a minuscule fraction of it (0.32%). And at a time when demand for gas is reducing.

I'm sure that even such a fracking cheerleader as yourself could think of many simple and effective ways to reduce demand further and to produce a much larger proportion of our energy needs by clean, renewable methods.

Nice of you to piggy back on Essex’’s post without a genuine thought yourself.

Last edited:
PNEESSEX;n3405879 said:
I don't know whether fracking is safe or not. However, I do know that arguing that we need fracking to survive is stretching the truth. It's instructive to look at the data which show where our gas supplies come from. In 2017 we imported 523,755 GWh of gas. Of that, 1,672GWh came from USA in LNG form and 1,016GWh from Russia. (That's 0.32% from USA and 0.19% from Russia) The bulk of our LNG comes from Qatar. The vast bulk of our gas comes by pipeline direct from either our own gas fields or from Norway.

As it happens, demand for gas is dropping in the UK both from domestic consumers and from the power generators. All of this needs to be factored into the debate on the justifications for fracking in the UK

The figures we are both looking at differ somewhat Essex.

”The UK currently produces enough gas to meet almost half of its needs (44%) from the North Sea and the East Irish Sea.

We also import 47% of the gas we use via pipelines from Europe and Norway. The remaining 9% comes in to the UK by tankers in the form of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

80% of the UK’s 25 million homes are powered by gas – and around a quarter of the country’s electricity is generated by gas-fired power stations. Gas plants are one of the most flexible ways to generate electricity, as they can rapidly provide power during periods of high demand.

This means gas, along with other energy sources like wind, solar and nuclear, plays a key role in the UK energy mix.

As the amount of gas that can be extracted from the North Sea declines, we’ll need to import more to ensure a regular and reliable supply to the UK.”

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-so...gys-grand-journey/where-does-uk-gas-come-from

The pipelines from Qatar (via Europe and who knows what’s going to happen in the future) are a risk if anything happens in the Middle East and surely it’s worth investigating whether or not we can reduce the Carbon Footprint of the 9% of gas we import via tanker.

Im not saying it is going to be a saviour, just that we would be foolish to not investigate whether or not we can safely provide our own supply. And I repeat, from what Ihave seen, I’m sure we can.

Liberation;n3405916 said:
Oh come on... That's hardly a reason to knock ten bells of shit out of the earth without knowing the consequences is it?... I've read loads on this subject and the opinions are split...therefore it's plain to see that no one has a bloody clue what the long term effects of fracking are, even worse some don't even appear to care..Either way, I'm still no wiser but your take on it is interesting.

The fracking industry in the US (Springfield aside) is now a successful and well regulated industry with a very good safety record. It has brought down the cost of gas which I’m sure we would all appreciate.

Hardly “without knowing the consequences”

MJB;n3406025 said:
The figures we are both looking at differ somewhat Essex.

”The UK currently produces enough gas to meet almost half of its needs (44%) from the North Sea and the East Irish Sea.

We also import 47% of the gas we use via pipelines from Europe and Norway. The remaining 9% comes in to the UK by tankers in the form of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

80% of the UK’s 25 million homes are powered by gas – and around a quarter of the country’s electricity is generated by gas-fired power stations. Gas plants are one of the most flexible ways to generate electricity, as they can rapidly provide power during periods of high demand.

This means gas, along with other energy sources like wind, solar and nuclear, plays a key role in the UK energy mix.

As the amount of gas that can be extracted from the North Sea declines, we’ll need to import more to ensure a regular and reliable supply to the UK.”

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-so...gys-grand-journey/where-does-uk-gas-come-from

The pipelines from Qatar (via Europe and who knows what’s going to happen in the future) are a risk if anything happens in the Middle East and surely it’s worth investigating whether or not we can reduce the Carbon Footprint of the 9% of gas we import via tanker.

Im not saying it is going to be a saviour, just that we would be foolish to not investigate whether or not we can safely provide our own supply. And I repeat, from what Ihave seen, I’m sure we can.

My source for the origin of the gas we import is from our official data

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ads/attachment_data/file/729400/DUKES_4.5.xls

click on the 4.5 tab

MJB;n3406058 said:
Cheers Essex.

I read it differently. Liquified Natural Gas (imports from various sources) to Milford Haven, Teeside etc is that which is imported via Tanker, predominantly from the US. That accounts for a large percentage of total import.

LNG is 80k out of a total of 500k plus according to our govt; interesting data which surprised me (especially the Russia thing which seems to fly in the face of what the press were banging on about earlier this year)

who knew we got so much LNG from Trinidad ffs??

Ds-Aim3XoAcdzGn.jpg

Not exactly fracking but science nonetheless, just thought some underground worker had a good idea for today.

raefil;n3410829 said:
An earthquake tremor of 1.5 has just been recorded at the Fracking site in Lancashire. The biggest tremor yet. Remember, the Tories sentenced 3 men to jail for daring to warn us this would happen.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

Earthquakes of this and higher magnitudes are daily occurences in areas of the UK where no fracking takes place. I'm not saying fracking is not without its dangers but post like this are scaremongering

Baldygit;n3410842 said:
Earthquakes of this and higher magnitudes are daily occurences in areas of the UK where no fracking takes place. I'm not saying fracking is not without its dangers but post like this are scaremongering

The 9th tremor today (47th since they started fracking two months ago) was of the same level which resulted in suspension of operations for 7 years wasn't it?

You call it scaremongering but I feel it would be wise to be cautious of the impacts of fracking - earth tremors, pollution, exacerbating climate change etc etc.

raefil;n3410847 said:

Obviously you have difficulty in understanding the written word. These a "micro" tremors and occur daily in many parts of the UK (even in areas where Labour run the local council :) ). The magnitude set for the recording of tremors is so low as to be laughable - as stated in LEP article, the largest tremor recorded was "like dropping a melon". - scaremongering at it's worst. Still it will all stop when Corbyn starts running the country - NOT

Baldygit;n3411125 said:
Obviously you have difficulty in understanding the written word. These a "micro" tremors and occur daily in many parts of the UK (even in areas where Labour run the local council :) ). The magnitude set for the recording of tremors is so low as to be laughable - as stated in LEP article, the largest tremor recorded was "like dropping a melon". - scaremongering at it's worst. Still it will all stop when Corbyn starts running the country - NOT

Strangley no melon drops in this area until Fracking began. Weird that eh?

No worries tho, it will continue when May is not shafted later this Evening.

Baldygit;n3411125 said:

47 earthquakes triggered by Caudrilla's fracking activities in how many days?

But we have the company's assurance that the earthquakes they're causing aren't a problem. No doubt all the pollution and environmental damage they cause are equally minuscule and irrelevant.

26-0;n3411249 said:
47 earthquakes triggered by Caudrilla's fracking activities in how many days?

But we have the company's assurance that the earthquakes they're causing aren't a problem. No doubt all the pollution and environmental damage they cause are equally minuscule and irrelevant.

Not just Cuadrilla word but the BGS also. And other experienced scientists.

BeteNoir;n3411282 said:
It must have been one he'll of a melon as a woman reported her table and chairs rattling 1.5 miles away from the fracking site.

That wasn't the fracking, it was her husbands flatulence.