PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fracking

This is where I am at. Renewables are the future and money should be pumped into research in these areas also. But, until you can make the wind blow all the time in the right areas at the right speed, or make the sun shine on demand, we are miles off meeting demand. In my previous job I worked in hydropower (hopefully this offsets my bad credit 😀) and although the industry is improving, we need the rain to fall on demand.

Anything that needs new taxes to implement and enforce is just a scam in my opinion.
I am a little more optimistic than you about the rate of change - I see a lot of innovation in the electrical industry and we are closer than most people think. Technologically, 2050 for the transition is very doable.

That said, like you, I have concerns that this is all becoming yet another market with all the same problems of short termism, price gouging exploitation, and manipulation we see with trading commodities (carbon dioxide is now a marketable commodity). Once the big players start profiting, will that stop innovation and the broader policies we need? Will it become just another way of exploiting the poorest? I have my doubts about some aspects.

I actually work for electric companies - think I had better sit on the naughty step, too :D

The Guardians VIEW.

Times have changed.
And the moratorium said nothing about “without earth tremors” It mentioned can be done safely. Which it can be.

Even if every bit of gas was hoovered out of the earth by fracking it wouldn't matter a jot to the cost of our energy or living

You're starting to worry me about who you trust... Media and government?............... Do me a favour.

More from the Guardian..,
Rees-Mogg merely shrugged. People were far too hung up about earthquakes. What was wrong with a bit of seismic activity? It never did any harm to San Francisco. Well, apart from in 1906. We should all get used to some vibrations. How would we know it wasn’t safe unless a few people had died?

Maybe we should set fire to his house ............. And then shrug ..Bit of bad luck there eh?

Here's the Guardian's view on Tory fracking policy...
The latest U-turn is on fracking. The 2019 Tory manifesto committed the party to a moratorium on fracking until such a time that the science indicated it could be done without earth tremors. But that was so three years ago. Needless to say the science hasn’t changed at all, but that’s not good enough for our Librium Liz.

She thinks it ought to have done. So she’s had a look at the science and decided that the science has got it wrong. What’s needed is a new science. One that agrees with her. And guess what? She’s now redefined the science and we’re all systems go. The power of magical thinking.
John Crace? My favourite satorist, very clever.

What? Without the tremors? Oh, I didn't know that.
No one said anything about no tremors. Tremors don’t make it dangerous. Thousands of successful wells around the world back that up. There are many reasons people do not want to allow fracking, but the safety angle is utter bollocks. No one has their knickers in a twist over tremors caused by mining, quarrying and geothermal drilling.
The latter is a very similar process to fracking but has a seismic limit of 3

Oh that pesky Tory shale gas only being accessible in the plebs areas.
Not according to the science, loads of areas round here getting looked at. No plebs round here the majority vote for the Tories. I call them something else though Tories that is.

One thing which may help but have never heard anyone mention how about all social housing fitted with solar panels?

Oh that pesky Tory shale gas only being accessible in the plebs areas.
I seem to recall that Shale ( with viable gas reserves contained within ? dunno...) lies under the Tory Heartlands of the Cotswolds too.

Also wondering if it's any more - or less expensive ( awkward Geology ) to extract compared to the 2 Fylde & Yorkshire areas ?

I seem to recall that Shale ( with viable gas reserves contained within ? dunno...) lies under the Tory Heartlands of the Cotswolds too.

Also wondering if it's any more - or less expensive ( awkward Geology ) to extract compared to the 2 Fylde & Yorkshire areas ?
The Bowland Shale field is the largest, easiest to access, and is expected to have the best returns

Not according to the science, loads of areas round here getting looked at. No plebs round here the majority vote for the Tories. I call them something else though Tories that is.

One thing which may help but have never heard anyone mention how about all social housing fitted with solar panels?
Would love to see that happen - and all new houses built with energy efficiency in mind. Not just as simple as installing panels, of course, because you may have to upgrade the electricity distribution infrastructure to cope. But, technologically feasible and a good long term investment.

This is where I am at. Renewables are the future and money should be pumped into research in these areas also. But, until you can make the wind blow all the time in the right areas at the right speed, or make the sun shine on demand, we are miles off meeting demand. In my previous job I worked in hydropower (hopefully this offsets my bad credit 😀) and although the industry is improving, we need the rain to fall on demand.

Anything that needs new taxes to implement and enforce is just a scam in my opinion.
What about wave technology? Is that any good?

The Bowland Shale field is the largest, easiest to access, and is expected to have the best returns
There is an adjacent subterranean area near & adjacent to this, in the area of the Fylde that straddles the estuary of the River Eyre:this formerly contained Rocksalt deposits, (now I believe are empty caverns,) where formerly Brine was pumped, until the 1980's The stuff was pumped-out from the Stalmine Area across to 'ICI Thornton' on the West Bank of the Wyre Estuary at Thornton. Stalmine has seen frequent 'slumpings' of whole farms & fields since this extraction process began in the 19thC.

Empty Caverns . History of Major Collapses. Next to ( & possible overlapping by? Dunno ! a proposed Shale Gas Extraction Area? Alarm Bells SHOULD be ringing...
---oOo---
Under the Fylde is a layer of Sandstone.
This Sandstone is water-bearing rock.
In the 1970's, and since, the NWWA has sank numerous pumps into this mass to extract this 'Groundwater'. They have actually taken as much so as to shut-down quite a few of these, because the Ground Water level has been lowered to that crucial point of depth. "Uh, the Well's run dry".

How do we know that Fracking waste water will not find it's way into these now empty/ but still porous volumes of Sandstone & seep & pollute the Remaining Volumes of (still) Water Bearing Sandstone ?

Betcha bottom dollar Mr Francis Egan hasn't been called upon to answer these two (rather troubling,imo) concerns.
Anyone else know owt?
If I was a resident of the Stalmine area, I'd seriously consider relocation.