Frankie McAvoy

rem

Forum Patron
Patron
It's been said many times before but still a very valid point.

My gut says he'd follow AN.
I don’t think so if he gets the top job here under contract.
If he has any ambition at all, he would be a fool to not accept a permanent once-in-a- lifetime opportunity

pbc373

Forum Patron
Patron
Well, something stopped his successful approach my friend......... What do you think it was?
Obsession with the way other teams set up to begin with and Neil not focussing on our own strengths, followed by signing a lucrative contract, perhaps on the basis of being misled by TH & PR as to investment in the squad. If he wasn't promised additional funds, he should have known better than to expect them, if he was I have some sympathy. Either way he clearly spat his dummy out, made little attempt to win football matches and provided the supporters with the worst style of football in living memory and I include some pretty shit managers in that.
Neil clearly wanted out and became poisonous towards the owners, supporters and players over the past few months.

Without question there is a good manager in there but it's overridden by a sulky egotistical, brat. Yes I'm sure he will go on and achieve things at other clubs and a few on here will say "oh look at Alex Neil at XYZ FC, we should of stuck with him, we would have got to the Premier League under him. They are to blind to see the only division he was taking us to was League 1, mainly because he didn't want to be here and he didn't give a shit how many people he pissed off letting them know.

I'm not saying FM is Pep or Klopp, but in two games he has taken a 4 points from the runaway leaders and 4th place, playing some decent stuff. The Neil backers who said we were a mid table league 1 side with the players we had and could only play hoof ball with the players at Neil's disposal, look pretty stupid now and the last performance, the best of the season IMHO was without the big 5, who Neil had at his disposal until Christmas and still played absolutely garbage football.

Derbydays

Youth Team
It's been said many times before but still a very valid point.

My gut says he'd follow AN.
I also think this is the likely or just stay to this season out, have to say from what I have seen the football being played is much better than the for months previously with players looking sharper and more determined to win , this could be a reaction to AN sacking , relief he has gone or knowing that they are part to blame , now stepping up in some sort of retrospective action and showing of pride that has been missing in a lot of performances this last 18 months. From the outside looking at and listening to AN he did seem a bit of a humourless individual and though ultimately professional in approach very dull and the fact that he was here 4 years and never struck up any sort of rapport with the fans says a lot, in my experience from working with and for people with same characteristics the work place can become a real chore and definitely not a place you want to be by choice.

djwoody

Manager
Two, 45 minute halves of press in 12 months.
To be fair, we pressed at times at Blackburn as well. I think the issue is that, instead of it being our style of play, he had begun to only press according to the opposition's strengths / weaknesses. He was far more bothered about the opposition than playing to our strengths and/or developing a style of play for us.

Lee Trundle

Forum Patron
Patron
To be fair, we pressed at times at Blackburn as well. I think the issue is that, instead of it being our style of play, he had begun to only press according to the opposition's strengths / weaknesses. He was far more bothered about the opposition than playing to our strengths and/or developing a style of play for us.

There's no point pressing high if the opposition are content to sit back and play direct. Since Middlesbrough and Reading worked us out at home a couple of seasons back, Neil hasnt been able to adapt. Neil Harris even said that there is no point coming to Preston and being expansive.

Neil's issue and what FM has improved upon, is finding a system that works for us going forward. Outside of one decent Ledson pass we've still been extremely direct under FM, but he has smartly included players better adapted to that style. Having Potts in the 10 and Riis as a strike partner for Evans have meant we have circumnavigated our issues at playing out from the back.

As much stick as he gets, Potts is near enough our most important player at this point. I genuinely dont think we've played well unless he has started in the 10 since the end of January. I think FM recognises this as well, we should hopefully see him starting most of the rest of the season

djwoody

Manager
There's no point pressing high if the opposition are content to sit back and play direct. Since Middlesbrough and Reading worked us out at home a couple of seasons back, Neil hasnt been able to adapt. Neil Harris even said that there is no point coming to Preston and being expansive.

Neil's issue and what FM has improved upon, is finding a system that works for us going forward. Outside of one decent Ledson pass we've still been extremely direct under FM, but he has smartly included players better adapted to that style. Having Potts in the 10 and Riis as a strike partner for Evans have meant we have circumnavigated our issues at playing out from the back.

As much stick as he gets, Potts is near enough our most important player at this point. I genuinely dont think we've played well unless he has started in the 10 since the end of January. I think FM recognises this as well, we should hopefully see him starting most of the rest of the season
That's often given as a reason not to press, but I think it's an easy excuse, and not one the very top coaches subscribe to.
I'm with you on Potts - underrated and over criticised on here.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
second favourite at 4/1 now Frankie..............

I remember thinking before the Norwich game that if he strung some decent results together then he would get it - he was 18/1 at the time !!

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
As much stick as he gets, Potts is near enough our most important player at this point.

The criticism Potts has received at times previously has generally been fully deserved because there have been times when he has gone out on the pitch and looked like he couldn't be bothered. The essential point is I think that he is not a player like, say, Johnson who an go out on the pitch, swan around ineffectively for an hour and then suddenly produce a flash of class in the way that Johnson did to equalise at our place a few weeks back. Instead Potts' attributes are running, robustness and an ability to hit the ball hard though he can also sometimes produce a deft little flick. As such Potts has to be fired up - when he isn't he can look like he has wandered in off Moor Park, when he is he can be more than useful. It is up to him and whoever is manager to make sure he is appropriately motivated every time he pulls on The Shirt.

As for FM I have got to say he is impressing me much more than I initially anticipated. He got just about everything right at Swansea. Things I particularly liked were his recognition that Hughes is too slow to be a wing-back and not imposing enough to be a central defender in a back four but does have enough to play on the left of a back three, the clever use of van den Berg as a wing-back, the fact he started Riis again because Riis is a good player who needs a bit of faith to be shown in him and that Sinclair when he came on was used where he now should be right upfront.

It will be interesting to see what FM does this Saturday with Riis and Sinclair. I think it would be a mistake to try to shoehorn those two plus Evans into the starting line-up by using Sinclair as a wing-back - he really is not effective way out wide - though I suppose they might work together to some effect as a front three. But two out of those three as a strike partnership does seem to work and to work well. The pairing that would have both pace and some sharpness in front of goal would be Riis and Sinclair. But whatever for this Saturday a match that just a few weeks back looked like one we could approach only with a sense of trepidation now looks like one we can instead do so with some anticipation. There is a bit of a sense of excitement coming back.

sf

Forum Patron
Patron
The criticism Potts has received at times previously has generally been fully deserved because there have been times when he has gone out on the pitch and looked like he couldn't be bothered.
That is all in the heads of people who have a weird vendetta against him.

There have been times when he's gone out on the pitch and just looked a big donkey but he's amongst our hardest working and committed players, he never stops.

Lee Trundle

Forum Patron
Patron
That's often given as a reason not to press, but I think it's an easy excuse, and not one the very top coaches subscribe to.
I'm with you on Potts - underrated and over criticised on here.

The top coaches often just have class players though.

Klopp can commit to the press because even if the opposition go long they have the best centre back in the world who happens to be faster than everyone and an excellent sweeper keeper (even though Allison isnt particularly good in his general game, usually his sweeping is top class)

Liverpool's "injury crisis" is effectively them losing Van Dijk, and they just collapsed.

The Swansea performance was excellent. But it really felt more like a prime Neil masterclass than anything else. We figured them out perfectly and defended well against the long diagonals that crucified us in the first game. It felt a lot more like we were thoroughly prepared for Swansea, rather than a side that went out to just play our game.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
The criticism Potts has received at times previously has generally been fully deserved because there have been times when he has gone out on the pitch and looked like he couldn't be bothered. The essential point is I think that he is not a player like, say, Johnson who an go out on the pitch, swan around ineffectively for an hour and then suddenly produce a flash of class in the way that Johnson did to equalise at our place a few weeks back. Instead Potts' attributes are running, robustness and an ability to hit the ball hard though he can also sometimes produce a deft little flick. As such Potts has to be fired up - when he isn't he can look like he has wandered in off Moor Park, when he is he can be more than useful. It is up to him and whoever is manager to make sure he is appropriately motivated every time he pulls on The Shirt.

As for FM I have got to say he is impressing me much more than I initially anticipated. He got just about everything right at Swansea. Things I particularly liked were his recognition that Hughes is too slow to be a wing-back and not imposing enough to be a central defender in a back four but does have enough to play on the left of a back three, the clever use of van den Berg as a wing-back, the fact he started Riis again because Riis is a good player who needs a bit of faith to be shown in him and that Sinclair when he came on was used where he now should be right upfront.

It will be interesting to see what FM does this Saturday with Riis and Sinclair. I think it would be a mistake to try to shoehorn those two plus Evans into the starting line-up by using Sinclair as a wing-back - he really is not effective way out wide - though I suppose they might work together to some effect as a front three. But two out of those three as a strike partnership does seem to work and to work well. The pairing that would have both pace and some sharpness in front of goal would be Riis and Sinclair. But whatever for this Saturday a match that just a few weeks back looked like one we could approach only with a sense of trepidation now looks like one we can instead do so with some anticipation. There is a bit of a sense of excitement coming back.
I doubt very much that McAvoy will leave out Evans, who has been far and away our best striker since he came in. Neither Riis nor Sinclair are adept at holding the ball up.

Lee Trundle

Forum Patron
Patron
An example would be Wycombe away, they were fairly direct and moved it quick, we sat off and allowed them to venture forward at will.

Just because they don’t play it out from their penalty box doesn’t mean the defenders can’t be pressed aggressively and forced into mistakes.

Wycombe are the most direct side in the division.

We just couldnt deal with Akinfenwa in the first game and couldnt deal with Ikpeazu in the cup or the second game. If we commit 6 men into there half and Tafazolli just punts it over their heads, we'd just get woefully over exposed.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
That is all in the heads of people who have a weird vendetta against him.

I have no 'vendetta' against Potts or any other player - I just say it as I see it. Note I said 'at times' not 'every time'.

I doubt very much that McAvoy will leave out Evans, who has been far and away our best striker since he came in. Neither Riis nor Sinclair are adept at holding the ball up.

I am sure that is the case but Riis and Sinclair later on against a tiring defence might be a worthwhile ploy.