PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Frankie - Yes or No.

Give Frank McAvoy the job full time, or not?

• Yes

Votes: 232 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 42.1%

• Total voters
We often give the club a lot of stick for not making good use of the loan market but we have had good loan keepers in Johnstone, Pickford and Iversen. That is not luck it is good judgement. Credit should be given where it is due.
I hope it's a market we continue to exploit for keepers because that's clearly where the affordable quality keepers are for us.

Since Rudd initially went back to Norwich in 2014, our permanent goalkeeper signings have been Jamie Jones, Kirkland, Maxwell, Lindegaard, Rudd, Crowe and Ripley.

I think that list compared to those we've got on loan tends to show where we have fared better for keepers.

We often give the club a lot of stick for not making good use of the loan market but we have had good loan keepers in Johnstone, Pickford and Iversen. That is not luck it is good judgement. Credit should be given where it is due.
Glad you didn’t include Ripley 😜

I think it’s lucky we have had him in the nets, yes I agree that’s what keepers are supposed to do , but I honestly think with Rudd in goal we probably wouldn’t have accumulated as many points . Speculation of course but stats seem to back that up l

I don’t get all this ‘luck.’ How is five wins in eight lucky.

65%(192) of forum members have currently voted for Frankie. I can’t see that any other feasible candidate would get anywhere near that percentage. In fact it is completely unrealistic because you won’t get more than 192 voting for another candidate if the 192 don’t change their mind

I don’t get all this ‘luck.’ How is five wins in eight lucky.
I didn’t say all 5 wins were lucky , a late own goal against Swansea a late goal against Norwich who could have been 4-0 up at half time a win against Forrest with a hand ball and an offside even Derby had should have scored two goals before half time , we have rode our luck over the eight games . I just think that for once we have had more than our fair share in those eight games .

I didn’t say all 5 wins were lucky , a late own goal against Swansea a late goal against Norwich who could have been 4-0 up at half time a win against Forrest with a hand ball and an offside even Derby had should have scored two goals before half time , we have rode our luck over the eight games . I just think that for once we have had more than our fair share in those eight games .

We deserved to win against Swansea so we deserved that goal it wasn’t lucky. It was deserved. It’s all should have, could have, would have. Derby are one of the worst teams I’ve seen all season.

The forest game and Norwich games we probably didn’t deserve the result. The rest of the games we did.

And to say we are lucky because we have a decent keeper is complete nonesense. So Norwich are lucky to win the league because they had Krul in net

Jesus Christ read my posts I said we were lucky to have Iverson as our keeper as I don’t think we would have got as many points with Rudd in the nets, we deserved a goal against Swansea it wasn’t lucky 🤣🤣🤣

I look at things like this:
League winners at home, point gained (draw)
Promotion chasers away, 3 points gained (win)
Promotion chasers home, expected result (loss)
Mid table side away, expected result (draw)
One of worst sides in league home, expected result (win)
One of worst sides in league away, expected result (win)
Top 6 secured team with nothing to play for home, expected result (win)
End of season nothing game away, anything can happen, 3 points gained.

Most results on paper are what I would expect us to get. However, we have done better than expected. And not one game have we done worse than expected.

The Swansea own goal and Derby missing two great chances before we scored and the fact Iverson has saved us in a few of those games with great saves at important times . Have you forgot those
That's not luck. That's just how football works. You could pick every game apart by the same token.

That's not luck. That's just how football works. You could pick every game apart by the same token.

And you should, if you want to try and make evaluations on the ability of a team in the long run. If your team plays well but gets unlucky, be honest about it. Same if they play like shit but get a lucky winner, or don't get punished for their mistakes.

I'm not sure, he's done well and proven with the results he has produced, but a bit of me is saying this is a new manager bounce. You often see teams pick results after a manager is potted. He certainly deserves to be in the run for it.
You could get the same 'new manager bounce' with whoever is appointed though, with no guarantee it will be sustained.

Maybe it's true that to an extent, you make your own luck by being bold and having a go, rather than playing safe.

You could get the same 'new manager bounce' with whoever is appointed though, with no guarantee it will be sustained.
That's right. But in recent years, percentage wise, a caretaker manager made permanent gets sacked in their first full season.

Jesus Christ read my posts I said we were lucky to have Iverson as our keeper as I don’t think we would have got as many points with Rudd in the nets, we deserved a goal against Swansea it wasn’t lucky 🤣🤣🤣

If you watched the match (unlikely) us not beating Swansea would have been awful - we were the only team looking likely to win.

And you should, if you want to try and make evaluations on the ability of a team in the long run. If your team plays well but gets unlucky, be honest about it. Same if they play like shit but get a lucky winner, or don't get punished for their mistakes.
Iversen making great saves in a number of games isn't luck. It's his job.