Frankie - Yes or No.

Give Frank McAvoy the job full time, or not?

• Yes

Votes: 229 65.8%
  • No

Votes: 119 34.2%

• Total voters

grarmy

Manager
But Wycombe were fighting for their lives, why didn't they play with that passion for the previous 38 games, you could say that once we reached mathematical safety we could have relaxed but FM didn't allow it and we kept the form going even with nothing to play for, that itself is commendable.
I also think Wycombe were down a long time ago in reality

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
Massive yes from me! Low risk, high reward appointment, knows the club, knows the players and has got an apparent bang average set of players 2nd in the form table having played some of the toughest teams in the league!

Get him backed with some additions this summer and let’s see where we are, if this new lad Beet is in charge of signings and talent, let Frankie and the lads get them organised and keep that team spirit high and who knows!

Seem to remember nobody fancied Moyes or Davies when they were appointed, he could be what we need!

Listened to FtF podcast and when they mentioned about Billy Davies telling the players to enjoy the goals and make sure the other team know you’ve scored, there looks to me to be a similar attitude and more importantly a genuine attitude from the players! They are all on Frankies side and there’s a lot to be said about that!

The team spirit is phenomenal right now. Nothing to play for and the celebrations at goals from the lads are just superb. Lindsay today looked chuffed to bits and is just a loan lad playing his last game for us probably (kind of wouldn't mind him here again if we can).

The question needs to be loaded another way: Ainsworth won't come here on a 12 monther, Frankie probably would take it as he doesn't have as much of a rep to get another management job at this level so will have to wait til Neil gets a job.

I don't mind the idea of Ainsworth, I think he's a fantastic bloke and good with players but would rather have FM on a shorter contract than Ainsworth on a longer one.

Every appointment is a bit of a gamble so why not give the job to someone who the players know and obviously are willing to play for? Give Frankie and his team a chance

Sums up exactly how I feel about the situation. Stick with the current set up on a 12 month rolling contract and see how we go. The team have responded well over these 8 games and frankly he deserves it.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Just a reminder for those thinking of Callum Davidson St Johnstone's Scottish Cup Semi-Final is being broadcast live on the BBC Sport website tomorrow if you want a look at how one of his sides play.

KeithLard

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm very torn.

I can't get away from thinking Ainsworth is the best option. He very nearly kept Wycombe up. Oozes class and personality, gets the best from his players.

Yet Frankie has done wonderfully well. But come August will be different expectations and requirements.

Just feel this is a massive chance and we need to choose correctly.

I'm 60 / 40 in favour of Ainsworth.

No third option. I'll be happy with Frankie.

Come on Wycombe

Youth Team
Evening. Some thoughts from a Wycombe fan. Ainsworth has said for some time now that it would have to be something very special for his head to be turned. With the greatest of respect to PNE, I don't think this is that job. If it were Blackburn or QPR then I would be worried. As for his managerial ability, he has surpassed Marin O'Neil as Wycombe's best ever in my opinion and you would be enormously lucky to have him. I've read on this forum that he got a team relegated and that should be a consideration. A huge lack of context and perspective for those who think that. What he's achieved, I genuinely believe no other manager would have done so with the resources available to them. The guy has continuely punched above his weight. Had it not been for losing the first 7 games (a steep learning curve), Wycombe would have no doubt stayed up. He's adapted quite brilliantly and in the end just ran out of games. All the best next season (hopefully without GA).

simon_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
Not really sure how anyone can say no.

Had we appointed Frankio McAvio from Brazil at the same point in time delivered the same results, all the fans would be over the moon with the turn around in results with the same squad.

He couldn't have done any more!

simon_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
Evening. Some thoughts from a Wycombe fan. Ainsworth has said for some time now that it would have to be something very special for his head to be turned. With the greatest of respect to PNE, I don't think this is that job. If it were Blackburn or QPR then I would be worried. As for his managerial ability, he has surpassed Marin O'Neil as Wycombe's best ever in my opinion and you would be enormously lucky to have him. I've read on this forum that he got a team relegated and that should be a consideration. A huge lack of context and perspective for those who think that. What he's achieved, I genuinely believe no other manager would have done so with the resources available to them. The guy has continuely punched above his weight. Had it not been for losing the first 7 games (a steep learning curve), Wycombe would have no doubt stayed up. He's adapted quite brilliantly and in the end just ran out of games. All the best next season (hopefully without GA).
Ainsworth is far more valued at North End than at Rovers. He has a far greater connection with the club.

He'd jump at the chance.

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
He’s done a sterling job and he will have my full support if he is awarded the job.

However, because his success has come as a real surprise (a real underdog’s victory if you like), I think he’ll be judged more harshly by the powers that be if things start to go wrong next season, in a way another appointment with a more extensive CV probably wouldn’t be. Any drop in results or performances might immediately be attributed to the inexperienced guy who made a brave bid to become boss finally being found out (as some might have expected). If that happens, we might end up looking for yet another new manager maybe 3 or 4 months into the new season. Is that really what we want after all the upheaval that already took place in Jan and will probably continue to in the summer?

This is about as close to the perfect time for bringing in someone new as you can get. Players have yet to be recruited and a full pre-season will be available for a coach to come in and put his stamp on things.

It’s all a huge bunch of ifs, buts and maybes, I understand that, and someone brought in from outside might equally turn out to be disastrous, but they’ll be given more time by the board to improve things because he’s definitively their man. I just fear Frankie wouldn’t in the same situation and then we’d be back to square one but this time nearly halfway through a season.

Like I say, I would have no issue with Frankie being unveiled as our new man and would back him to the hilt. However, I don’t think results and performances have been so outrageously good that he absolutely has to be be given the job and rejecting him is something we’ll regret for the next decade. He seems like a top bloke and I wish him all the very best but I can just foresee it turning sour very quickly.

It really is time for a fresh start where we put the last four years behind us and forge a new path, irrespective of mismanagement at the top.

TheFulwoodEnd

First Team

I agree with what you state about the job he has done at Wycombe and think he could just be the man to give our club kick up the arse it needs.

However, you have seriously misjudged the connection Gareth has with the club. I would suggest reading North End Souls as a starting point.

This is the lad who came out to the coaches when we got relegated at Bolton and is loved by fans of a certain generation.

Yes he has links with the plastics but Gareth knows he is held is much higher esteem at Deepdale.

Whilst he is not everyone's first choice and some question the links because of his past with us u can assure you if he's offered the job he will take it.

As for the Frankie I would be in full support if he got the job and he has certainly had a good audition. I just have a nagging doubt that long term we need an outside appointment.

bobbydavro

Manager
i dont see ainsworth almost keeping wycombe up as a sucess. he fucking failed? they are relegated. If he had got them to mid table then he's worth a look, as it is he can't hack it in the champ.

Take frank over ainsworth every day of the week.

Think we can do better than frank but if our only other option is ainsworth then its not a decision.

Yes ainsworth was great for us decades ago but as a championship manager, fuck that.

TheFulwoodEnd

First Team
i dont see ainsworth almost keeping wycombe up as a sucess. he fucking failed? they are relegated. If he had got them to mid table then he's worth a look, as it is he can't hack it in the champ.

Take frank over ainsworth every day of the week.

Think we can do better than frank but if our only other option is ainsworth then its not a decision.

Yes ainsworth was great for us decades ago but as a championship manager, fuck that.

Seriously missing some context this post.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
not at all. i loved ainsworth as a player, yes hes done great to get them up with wuppence for budget.

but we need to aim so much higher, we need a manager who has acheived promotion to the prem from the champ.

aim low, acheive low
Which manager with a promotion to his name is going to say, “yeah, I’ll go to a place where there’s no money for transfers, and any transfers they do have I’ll get no say over, and any time I want to bring a player in the owner will decide to bring in my 4th choice instead”?

Rather than going to a club with funds to back a promotion push