PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Future deepdale developments

If in the event of the club needing to increase the capacity of the ground or add something, say more boxes for example, where would they do this and when do you think we'd need it.
Just couldn't help but think the top of the invincibles is holding our ground back from reaching its full beauty.

I got told a few years back, that the design of the ground allows it to be two tier all the way round, don't know if that's true, It is based on the design of another ground, but can't remember where.

If in the event of the club needing to increase the capacity of the ground or add something, say more boxes for example, where would they do this and when do you think we'd need it.
Just couldn't help but think the top of the invincibles is holding our ground back from reaching its full beauty.

Totally unnecessary; you have an abundance of vacant seats.

Come promotion to the promised land Edgy will get a brand new set of private boxes to play in in the top tier of the IP. That will increase the capacity to approx 24,000 which is probably enough as long term I think we'd struggle to sell out if we stayed in the Prem as long as Stoke have. The issues with the IP stem back to it being part of the original plan for that stand to be built when we reach the Prem so the stand we have today is a scaled down version of the original idea.

If, however, the demand was there for a larger ground long term then "safe standing" is one option - might only add a thousand or so to the capacity though.

Filling in the corners would cost too much as the floodlight towers would need some serious modification - would add approx 5,000 to the capacity but would turn Deepdale into a "soulless bowl" of which there are enough already.

Given that Deepdale is in the middle of a residental area the only stand that could have an extra tier built on it would be the Finney, at maybe 3,000 extra seats. Again though not likely to happen and it's highly unlikely that there'll ever be an attendance at Deepdale above 25,000 ever again. Although in reality there's only be a few seasons post-war when we ever averaged over 25,000 and that was when we had the greatest ever English player and virtually every club was experiencing record attendances.

Based entirely on Genoa's stadium, called Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

The spaces above the current boxes are reserved for extra boxes should we be promoted.

As the increasing the capacity of the ground, this isn't needed.

I was told years back that the spaces were earmarked for 'foriegn media' if we ever made the Prem - MY mate is Burnleys media manager and he told me how many media boxes and interview points BFC had to provide when they went up (I think it was 24) and it cost £m's......thats why they have to come out of a different part of the Cricket field than they used to - the space is used up for sky type interviews.

Come promotion to the promised land Edgy will get a brand new set of private boxes to play in in the top tier of the IP. That will increase the capacity to approx 24,000 which is probably enough as long term I think we'd struggle to sell out if we stayed in the Prem as long as Stoke have. The issues with the IP stem back to it being part of the original plan for that stand to be built when we reach the Prem so the stand we have today is a scaled down version of the original idea.

If, however, the demand was there for a larger ground long term then "safe standing" is one option - might only add a thousand or so to the capacity though.

Filling in the corners would cost too much as the floodlight towers would need some serious modification - would add approx 5,000 to the capacity but would turn Deepdale into a "soulless bowl" of which there are enough already.

Given that Deepdale is in the middle of a residental area the only stand that could have an extra tier built on it would be the Finney, at maybe 3,000 extra seats. Again though not likely to happen and it's highly unlikely that there'll ever be an attendance at Deepdale above 25,000 ever again. Although in reality there's only be a few seasons post-war when we ever averaged over 25,000 and that was when we had the greatest ever English player and virtually every club was experiencing record attendances.

Ah
The edgy stand
A lovely legacy
There will of course be a picture of a prawn sandwich painted on the stand seats for all in the other three stands to salivate over plus for one game only per season I shall open up the stand for the common people to enjoy

Our current 24000 capacity would suit us fine for the premier league. We'd only sell that out against certain teams. Looking at the current premier league, this is how I reckon our attendances would roughly go....
24000 sell outs....
Man U
Liverpool
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
Everton.

around 20000
Newcastle, Burnley

around 18000
Huddersfield, West Brom, leicester, Stoke, West Ham, Southampton

below 17000
Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace.

I do think if we played someone like Watford at home at night, televised, we'd pull about 15000

Last edited:
A realistic post about our crowds, Dirty Harry.

I think youve hit the nail on the head.

Why not turn the top of the Invincibles into an open bar area, where folks can get a drink and then stand and watch from the railings? Wouldn't cost anything and would be popular.

Why not turn the top of the Invincibles into an open bar area, where folks can get a drink and then stand and watch from the railings? Wouldn't cost anything and would be popular.
Good idea Johnny and it would create the standing area that people want at the same time.

You're all thinking short term. When the relevant owners get bored and bfc and brfc are liquidated, their grounds sold off to developers in bfc's case and a chicken farm in brfc's then our catchment area will significantly increase and a 40k+ stadium become a necessity :)