Game of Thrones

Retfordpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Is it really the end next week? the yanks are prone to having lengthy mid-season breaks in their shows, and when they are shown over here pretty much straight away we get lumbered with them too. This is a problem for sky plus which doesn't pick up the resumption on series link!!

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Pretty sure it's a ten episode series. Had to delete it when i went on hols to free up some Sky + room. Will get the DVD after some of the comments on this thread....

Do not fear though, Camelot started on Channel 4 on Saturday and that had its moments....

Guiniviere is a real piece of work and we all remember Morgan from her previous life in The Dreamers.....

Bardas

Youth Team
It was never in doubt, it's the dogs bollocks. I've just ordered the first book of the series to tide me over. Not sure if I should read ahead though or it could ruin the series for me.

No problem with reading ahead..I`m up to the fourth book and have loved the series...and my wife has been reading the first book at the same time.

Thing is...the books are far more detailed..as you would expect, so it just adds extra layers without detracting. An example?
Early on, we see Jaimee pushing the lad out of the tower to cover up the incest....but what the series doesn`t show is that it was not his first instinct...he at first wants to save him. All the characters are more complex than appears...the worse characters often have some good in them at some point later on, and only the detail explains how and why they act in certain ways.

No problem with reading ahead..I`m up to the fourth book and have loved the series...and my wife has been reading the first book at the same time.

Thing is...the books are far more detailed..as you would expect, so it just adds extra layers without detracting. An example?
Early on, we see Jaimee pushing the lad out of the tower to cover up the incest....but what the series doesn`t show is that it was not his first instinct...he at first wants to save him. All the characters are more complex than appears...the worse characters often have some good in them at some point later on, and only the detail explains how and why they act in certain ways.

Cheers for that. The thing that worries me though is knowing that certain characters would die.

Neil Young

Youth Team
Looks like Sean Bean nearly got killed off early!

Sean Bean defends maiden's honour
Wed 15 Jun 12:16 PM

He might be more famous for roles as fantasy heroes in 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Game of Thrones', but Sean Bean was involved in a real life fight for honour at a pub in Camden on Sunday.

The actor, 52, was at the Hill Bar and Brasserie in Camden, North London, with ladyfriend and glamour model April Summers, 22, when trouble started.

Summers might not quite be your typical damsel in distress but Bean was reportedly incensed when a passer-by insulted her with lewd comments while the pair were having a cigarette. He challenged the man, who then walked off, only to return later and attack Bean.

Bean is said to have been punched in the face and stabbed in the arm during the scuffle. But the all-action star from Sheffield was determined not to let the incident ruin his night.

After a quick patching-up with the bar's first aid kit, Bean ordered another drink and continued his evening.

Hot-blooded Bean is no stranger to affairs of the heart. He has been married and divorced three times, but it seems that he still knows how to treat a lady.

Neither Sean Bean nor April Summers have commented on the incident. Perhaps a code of honour forbids brazen braggery of his daring exploits.

Bardas

Youth Team
Cheers for that. The thing that worries me though is knowing that certain characters would die.

Best get over that, whether watching the series or reading the books.....there is a distinct lack of justice in the tales, which after such a bright, cheerful start tend to get a bit darker...lol.

One of the books strengths...and weaknesses, to some....is that the view point changes so often. You can`t really relate to just one character....that person may get killed or not be mentioned for what seems an entire book.

An example? We haven`t even met all the possible claimants to the iron throne yet....there are the Islands, for instance...these guys are going to become a focus for a while.

Up to you, m8, but seriously, I can`t see for one moment that reading the books would do anything but increase your enjoyment....more of a problem might be not wanting to go back and start from the beginning once the second series begins...now then it WILL be hard to get interested in a character when you know how it ends...

Best get over that, whether watching the series or reading the books.....there is a distinct lack of justice in the tales, which after such a bright, cheerful start tend to get a bit darker...lol.

One of the books strengths...and weaknesses, to some....is that the view point changes so often. You can`t really relate to just one character....that person may get killed or not be mentioned for what seems an entire book.

An example? We haven`t even met all the possible claimants to the iron throne yet....there are the Islands, for instance...these guys are going to become a focus for a while.

Up to you, m8, but seriously, I can`t see for one moment that reading the books would do anything but increase your enjoyment....more of a problem might be not wanting to go back and start from the beginning once the second series begins...now then it WILL be hard to get interested in a character when you know how it ends...

Good point. I'll almost certainly read ahead as I get through books very quickly. Looking forward to the first one arriving this week. I'll give you my thoughts once I'm done.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Not read the books nor do I wish to until the entire series is over.

All episodes from Series One here.
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

My take on the future although I am probably wrong on all counts..

Neds youngest with the sword, Arya, becomes a fearsome sword fighter who relishes battle and hopefully kills Joffery. Not quite sure about the other daughter, Sansa, as she could go either way with Joffery. Neds son, "the bastard" Jon Snow will fight and defeat the White Walkers and maybe even entice any remaining alive into his army and help his brother Robb in battle against the Lannisters.

Daenerys having somehow survived the funeral for her late husband (Khal) and reappeared with 3 young baby dragons will be seen by her new clan as a living Goddess whilst she will have even more power with the 3 dragons at her side. Plus we'll hopefully get to see more nakedness from her!!

Tyrion hopefully lives and continues his quest of shagging for Imps rights.

Interesting that a lot of this was filmed in Northern Ireland as well as Malta and Morrocco.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/

Last edited:

Sam635

Youth Team

Neds youngest with the sword, Arya, becomes a fearsome sword fighter who relishes battle and hopefully kills Joffery. Not quite sure about the other daughter, Sansa, as she could go either way with Joffery. Neds son, "the bastard" Jon Snow will fight and defeat the White Walkers and maybe even entice any remaining alive into his army and help his brother Robb in battle against the Lannisters.

Daenerys having somehow survived the funeral for her late husband (Khal) and reappeared with 3 young baby dragons will be seen by her new clan as a living Goddess whilst she will have even more power with the 3 dragons at her side. Plus we'll hopefully get to see more nakedness from her!!

Interesting that a lot of this was filmed in Northern Ireland as well as Malta and Morrocco.

Can you watch the episodes on that link you posted JD?

I watched the whole season and loved it, trying to get my bro to give it ago as im sure he'll be hooked after the first episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

loomz

Youth Team

The khalisi is the daughter of the dragon, it says in an earlier episode dragons can't be killed by fire!

Last edited by a moderator: