General Championship Thread

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Don't get me wrong I hope they get sanctioned, but Wycombe starting legal action over isn't a good look imo, derby will be able to say they're only doing so because it'd let them stay up.

Let the EFL handle it properly.
Wycombe will feel (like many others) that if the correct decision had been reached initially the deduction would have taken place at the same time as the Sheffield deduction. They may use that when presenting their case.

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
I’ve nothing against Bournemouth per se, but the most disappointing end to the season for me would be them going up.

That’d mean all three relegated sides going straight back up and 2 of the 3 promoted sides coming straight back down. It shows how the parachute payments and financial gulf between the Premier League and the Championship is stifling real completion.

Something has to change. 😟

BeteNoir

Advisor to the Owner
I’ve nothing against Bournemouth per se, but the most disappointing end to the season for me would be them going up.

That’d mean all three relegated sides going straight back up and 2 of the 3 promoted sides coming straight back down. It shows how the parachute payments and financial gulf between the Premier League and the Championship is stifling real completion.

That's what the Premier league wants. I ve complained to the oft that the parachute payments were giving relegated teams an unfair advantage and got a load of gobbledegook back.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron

Been trying to work it out, does that mean we'll have 8 parachute teams in the Championship next season?

deepdaledreamer

Forum Patron
Patron
Been trying to work it out, does that mean we'll have 8 parachute teams in the Championship next season?
I think just 5 with Huddersfield in the last year.
WBA
Fulham
Sheff Utd
Bournemouth
Huddersfield i think.
Cardiff only got 2 years payments as they got relegated after 1 season.
I think Stokes, and Swansea's (if they dont go up) finish now.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
What are the parachute payments for exactly? Just umm... Just asking for a friend who doesn't know anything about football...

Basically, you pay a fortune for a bunch of underachieving prima donnas who get you relegated from the Prem. Parachute payments help you to keep paying them until you can offload them.

However, if your name is Oyston they are a vehicle for lining your own pockets and keeping your sinking business empire afloat.

deepdaledreamer

Forum Patron
Patron
What are the parachute payments for exactly? Just umm... Just asking for a friend who doesn't know anything about football...
Tell them its cos Karen Brady says that the relegated clubs need compensating for failure, so that they can then come straight back up without having to sell their best Players and so that they can then remain competitive in the Prem when the skew in there favour does its job.
Not too competetive mind, just enough to give the rest a game before yo yoing back down, to then come back up.
If you get the drift

NIGHTMARE

Manager
Good achievement by Barnsley but pretty much found out in the end

Swansea have had our number all season, they knew exactly how to play against us, and implemented it perfectly, in each of our four games, we’ve had more shots, more shots on target, most possession of the ball, and passed it more than them, they had absolutely no intentions of playing football against us, what so ever, and it worked a treat. They’ve had 9 shots on target in 4 games and scored 5 of them, Their style of play is spot on to beat a team that’s set up to play like us.

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
Swansea have had our number all season, they knew exactly how to play against us, and implemented it perfectly, in each of our four games, we’ve had more shots, more shots on target, most possession of the ball, and passed it more than them, they had absolutely no intentions of playing football against us, what so ever, and it worked a treat. They’ve had 9 shots on target in 4 games and scored 5 of them, Their style of play is spot on to beat a team that’s set up to play like us.
...but not to beat a Premier League team!

FWIW, over the season I think you guys deserved it more than Swansea.

europne

Advisor to the Owner
With players and officials returning to their jobs, and the new seasons fixtures out soon, there are it seems many unanswered questions about the coming season.
The last I heard about 13 Championship clubs hadn’t filed their accounts because accountants couldn’t sign them off because they lost so much money last season and couldn’t say what their income was going to be for next season, perhaps someone can confirm if this is correct. That means they are under transfer embargoes.
So how will the EFL deal with such a delicate situation?
Be interesting to see transfer activity during the summer.
Derby seem to be teetering on the edge with a possible points deduction coming there way.
Swansea will have to seriously adjust the wage bill, if they can unload those players, as parachute payments have finished.

Interesting to see how it pans out and how the EFL deal with the situation, they haven’t got too good a record under pressure.

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
Scott Parker is going to leave Fulham this week and join Bournemouth as the new Manager / Head Coach…..

I imagine that Pearson would be a Scott Parker type player…..
Good move for Bournemouth that. They need to come up before the parachute money runs out in 2 years time otherwise they'll be in a bit of a tangle.

Interesting to see what Swansea do this summer too given they've no parachute payment coming in.