What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

GENERAL STRIKE

Union membership amongst posters(anonymous poll)

• Not in Union, no plans to join one, employed

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Not in Union, planning to join one, employed

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Was in Union, not currently in Union, employed

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Was in Union, retired

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Never in Union, retired

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Not Always been in Union, but currently in Union, employed

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Always been in Union, employed

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • NUS/Student

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other(self-employed, unemployed, student )

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters

Portishead

Forum Patron
Patron
Let's get it right, she didn't say us Londoners are lazy cunts, she was referring to you buggers up North, :LOL:

She hasnt spotted that the Cabinet has been on holiday for weeks and shes only been working for herself instead of being the Foreign Secretary. You'd think she could at least have retaken her geography O level in the meantime to check where Ukraine is. Its like us all being accused of being thick by Baldrick.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Fast5BcXoAAZhLN

Dirty Harry

Forum Patron
Patron
Two good points, I reckon, from Mick Lunch in an excellent interview in today's Guardian....
Now, the NHS, TfL and many other employers get their cleaners from a third party, while local authorities subcontract their housing duties to housing associations and their social care duties to exploitative providers. The results have been catastrophic for working and living conditions.
In the care sector, for example, you will find workers paid the minimum wage in 15-minute segments and expected to provide the car and fuel to get them from one appointment to the next – yet they don’t strike, “because it affects people who need their care”. Plus, of course, poverty wages strip away the option of forgoing pay.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Two good points, I reckon, from Mick Lunch in an excellent interview in today's Guardian....
Now, the NHS, TfL and many other employers get their cleaners from a third party, while local authorities subcontract their housing duties to housing associations and their social care duties to exploitative providers. The results have been catastrophic for working and living conditions.
In the care sector, for example, you will find workers paid the minimum wage in 15-minute segments and expected to provide the car and fuel to get them from one appointment to the next – yet they don’t strike, “because it affects people who need their care”. Plus, of course, poverty wages strip away the option of forgoing pay.
The problem is. how do you get those workers onto a decent wage? It is the same across the board for those on minimum wage and zero hour contracts. They have no protection and no one to fight their case. Delivery drivers, shop workers, 3rd party workers in all industries are stuffed.

I had a friend who was the landlady of a pub with her husband, they got divorced. The next time I saw her, she was working at Sports Direct, on zero hours, she got very few shifts and did bar work as well, minimum wage in the shop and cash in hand in the pub. Neither job gave her holiday pay, sick pay or any other benefits. There are over 2 million workers on minimum wage, and an estimated 5.5 million on zero hours.

Those workers need someone to fight their cause, they cannot do it themselves as they would lose their jobs.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Eh?

What has that got to do with the RMT?

It’s the Labour Party and the Tory party that want it to stay as it is, it keeps the money coming in!
Just the Tories, 83% of Labour support it, that was a year ago, since then many more have joined to support the cause, along with a number of Unions, Unite, Unison, UCU and Prospect. The next Labour Conference will hopefully back the proposal. If so, that means, Labour, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru and the greens all back PR. I think that means that a proposal to change the system from FPTP to PR can be carried forward, and for Labour to include it in their next manifesto.

Opposition in the Labour Party are Starmer and a few other high ranking MP's, as we can all see the current crop of Labour MPs are quite toothless, wimps, content to feed in the trough. Starmer needs to go or change his stance, otherwise the Tories will continue to out do them in Elections. There needs to be pressure from the constituents to demand their MP votes for PR, those in safe seats will probably be reluctant to. Labour have lost the last four elections, the last one was disastrous, giving the Tories a massive majority, yet the Tories got just over 43% of the votes, meaning the opposition parties representing 57% of the voters have no say at all in the running of this country.

PR is coming, and the support is accelerating, when I don't know best to follow the organisations that are campaigning for it, such as.

https://www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/the-pr-alliance
and
https://getprdone.org.uk/

Get PR Done, is relatively new, only formed about 2 years ago, can't see why they needed to form as Make Votes Matter is long-established.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
You really havent listened to Mick Lynch, have you?
Listened to him a lot, I only got around to watching the Pub interview a couple of days ago, with him and Eddie Dempsey, I think the hardest bit for Eddie was to pace himself on the Guinness.

It was pretty good overall, with mentions of Enough is Enough, and Labour has to change, Eddie Dempsey came out with some bullshit about the block of council properties near the pub, where you would be lucky to be able to buy a flat for less than a million. That is Lewisham he is talking about, get a decent flat for 250k easily.

I hope Mike Lynch is serious in campaigning for change, he is a good speaker, I think after the Rail Strike is over, he will melt into the background somewhat, until there is a need for RMT to strike again.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Forum Patron
Patron
The problem is. how do you get those workers onto a decent wage? It is the same across the board for those on minimum wage and zero hour contracts. They have no protection and no one to fight their case. Delivery drivers, shop workers, 3rd party workers in all industries are stuffed.

I had a friend who was the landlady of a pub with her husband, they got divorced. The next time I saw her, she was working at Sports Direct, on zero hours, she got very few shifts and did bar work as well, minimum wage in the shop and cash in hand in the pub. Neither job gave her holiday pay, sick pay or any other benefits. There are over 2 million workers on minimum wage, and an estimated 5.5 million on zero hours.

Those workers need someone to fight their cause, they cannot do it themselves as they would lose their jobs.
You get folk onto a decent wage by doing the opposite of what this govt have been doing for the past umpteen years which has caused this state of affairs.
We are told the Tories want a high wage high skilled economy then tell folk not to be greedy by asking for a pay rise that doesn't even come close to matching the inflation rate.

Portishead

Forum Patron
Patron

And when they get too old or infirm to work, how are they going to survive? By then the welfare state will be completely dismantled.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
You get folk onto a decent wage by doing the opposite of what this govt have been doing for the past umpteen years which has caused this state of affairs.
We are told the Tories want a high wage high skilled economy then tell folk not to be greedy by asking for a pay rise that doesn't even come close to matching the inflation rate.
Got to get them out first, do you think Starmer is going to fight for the lower paid and exploited workers in the care sector? He would have to tackle the Private Equity firms and big business that have taken them over.