PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

GENERAL STRIKE

Union membership amongst posters(anonymous poll)

• Not in Union, no plans to join one, employed

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Not in Union, planning to join one, employed

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Was in Union, not currently in Union, employed

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Was in Union, retired

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Never in Union, retired

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Not Always been in Union, but currently in Union, employed

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Always been in Union, employed

Votes: 26 17.7%
  • NUS/Student

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other(self-employed, unemployed, student )

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
The RBL can go fuck itself for me, this is designed to get all the flag shaggers throthing at the mouth.
Is that what you think, it looks like advance warning to the volunteers who stand at stations with their 'Poppies and Tins'. It's an announcement that alternative arrangements are being planned due to the closure of stations.

Seriously, if all it was about was informing collectors to be ready to move to another day thats all theyd needed to say in email comms.
It's on their app, not in the main stream media, lots of volunteers will have arranged their day to collect. It will be an update on their app, a notification to volunteers. A notification on their phone, nothing wrong with that. Gives them time to alter arrangements, I know a bloke ex-soldier that does the collections every year, he plans the day and cancels other arrangements.

How did it get on here, it's a Twitter feed, meant for British Legion followers.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/ge...2r-xAYkTm6t33I9H-oaAjNXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

It's on their app, not in the main stream media, lots of volunteers will have arranged their day to collect. It will be an update on their app, a notification to volunteers. A notification on their phone, nothing wrong with that. Gives them time to alter arrangements, I know a bloke ex-soldier that does the collections every year, he plans the day and cancels other arrangements.

How did it get on here, it's a Twitter feed, meant for British Legion followers.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/ge...2r-xAYkTm6t33I9H-oaAjNXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#
whatever, leave you with your view ;)

Nice gesture by the RMT….

It won’t do them any harm in getting the publics support…
How many strikes should they cancel to win this 'public support' and how will this support help rail workers win against bosses and a government set against them?

The British Legion are happy to get involved with politics against strike action but are totally silent campaigning about the root cause for their reason for existence. Well and truly shown their hand.

How many strikes should they cancel to win this 'public support' and how will this support help rail workers win against bosses and a government set against them?

The British Legion are happy to get involved with politics against strike action but are totally silent campaigning about the root cause for their reason for existence. Well and truly shown their hand.

I've found myself agreeing with a good number of your posts lately but I'm sorry; this is utter bollocks.

They've literally spat their dummy out because they were prevented from raising money for veterans. That's all they care about.

I've found myself agreeing with a good number of your posts lately but I'm sorry; this is utter bollocks.

They've literally spat their dummy out because they were prevented from raising money for veterans. That's all they care about.
Fair enough :)

'Poppy Day' is a relatively recent fund raising initiative. Poppies are sold on many days and there are countless opportunities to buy them. They can have a fundraising day whenever. They very publicly intervened on the strike news coming out against the RMT.

I find the British Legion quite a frustrating charity to be honest. They never say a jot about the reasons for war, the decisions that cause death or suffering to service people and their families. They take money from arms dealers who profit from the death and injury of others. Totally silent for a century on these issues, but have intervened in the public relations battle against the RMT.

It's a moot point anyway, as the RMT are intent on winning over sections of the public who no matter what they do still slag them off as evidenced by the comments underneath the RMT's tweet.

Fair enough :)

'Poppy Day' is a relatively recent fund raising initiative. Poppies are sold on many days and there are countless opportunities to buy them. They can have a fundraising day whenever. They very publicly intervened on the strike news coming out against the RMT.

I find the British Legion quite a frustrating charity to be honest. They never say a jot about the reasons for war, the decisions that cause death or suffering to service people and their families. They take money from arms dealers who profit from the death and injury of others. Totally silent for a century on these issues, but have intervened in the public relations battle against the RMT.

It's a moot point anyway, as the RMT are intent on winning over sections of the public who no matter what they do still slag them off as evidenced by the comments underneath the RMT's tweet.

I'd argue that poppy day is their most productive day of the year in terms of public fundraising and that the event had been organised all year.

I completely understand that position, but would suggest they don't get involved in those things as they wish to remain apolitical. They're whole shtick is raising money for veterans and service people.

And the RMT have my full support, and have probably endeared themselves to more people than they would have otherwise. Granted, as you stated previously, this probably does fuck all for their wider cause.

Twitter is a tool used by those who love to criticise.

Pandering to the poppy rage brigade, pathetic if you ask me, wasn't like it was on remembrance day.

So the RBL make a statement and it's a political move.... Yet the strikers themselves make a decent gesture and it's pandering? ... It's a good arrangement and very sensible and amicable.... Everyones happy so what's the problem?......And I'm not stupid, I'm sure both parties had motives but common sense prevailed... It's about time..

PS... If it was a game engineered by the nasties then they were very much outsmarted by the RMT.. Be happy..

Last edited:
Bit late in posting here as it happened a few weeks ago now and not sure it's relevant as I've not read through the thread. In any event..... I work for the Probation Service and am in a union. I was dismayed to see the workforce accept a derisory pay offer from the government (I voted to strike FWIW).

The pay offer was 3% each year for 3 years. Sounds great in practice but when you consider Probation staff have had a 1% pay rise in the past 12 years compared to 20%+ for workers in Police and Nursing, it's shocking (and further compare it to the current rate of inflation at 10%). If we didn't accept the offer we were threatened with a 2% increase instead, which was being offered to civil servants.

So in a way I can understand people accepting the 3% given the threats and people just wanting money and not being able to afford to strike and take time off work. The conservatives government have well and truly shitten on all of us. Either way I was genuinely hoping I could have joined strike action.

Well, me and Mrs Ando were meant to be going to London this coming weekend for 3 nights and we had booked a trip to the theatre along with tours of Oval and Wembley…. Due to the forthcoming rail strikes, we are now unable to go and as a result we are a fair bit of money out of pocket.

Very disappointing…..

Bit late in posting here as it happened a few weeks ago now and not sure it's relevant as I've not read through the thread. In any event..... I work for the Probation Service and am in a union. I was dismayed to see the workforce accept a derisory pay offer from the government (I voted to strike FWIW).

The pay offer was 3% each year for 3 years. Sounds great in practice but when you consider Probation staff have had a 1% pay rise in the past 12 years compared to 20%+ for workers in Police and Nursing, it's shocking (and further compare it to the current rate of inflation at 10%). If we didn't accept the offer we were threatened with a 2% increase instead, which was being offered to civil servants.

So in a way I can understand people accepting the 3% given the threats and people just wanting money and not being able to afford to strike and take time off work. The conservatives government have well and truly shitten on all of us. Either way I was genuinely hoping I could have joined strike action.
Aren't Probation Officers, like the Police, Nurses, Teacher, - Civil Servants ?
( And just as essential as any other part of the 3 above imo )
Dirisory offer, agreed.
My point is that they should be under a single common Union umbrella.
Yet look, for example, at the education profession- I believe there's about 5 different Union Organisations. It's because of this that the members have no real bargaining powers

Dirisory offer, agreed.
Yet look, for example, at the education profession- I believe there's about 5 different Union Organisations. It's because of this that the members have no real bargaining powers
Derisory……

Dirisory offer, agreed.
Single table bargaining is difficult within the civil service as they cover such a huge and broad range of areas using different unions.

Well, me and Mrs Ando were meant to be going to London this coming weekend for 3 nights and we had booked a trip to the theatre along with tours of Oval and Wembley…. Due to the forthcoming rail strikes, we are now unable to go and as a result we are a fair bit of money out of pocket.

Very disappointing…..
Short term pain for long term gain Ando, we have to see these battles through.