Genuine Latent Racism

edgy

Manager
Incidentally, over the last few weeks... since the latest bit of publicity where they highlighted the environmental impacts of the meat industry... I'd say that I've halved my meat intake. Used more pulses and Quorn mince / sausages (been impressed with those)

These animal welfare issues come into it too. Last weekend, I bought a large Tesco chicken that fed 6... and chose a free-range one - which I occasionally do. Instead of costing around £4-50, it cost £7-40. Obviously a lot more but still works out at just over a pound per person. If you buy pies, or anything like a half decent pizza, it costs more than that. OK... I know a free-range hen is probably not slaughtered any more humanely - but it's still a move in the right direction.
Spot on
The memsahib and I buy all our meat from honeywells (other butchers are available), we do this because:-
It supports local businesses
You know the provenance of the meat
it was treated humanely
It doesnt come in a plastic packager having been driven from Poland or wherever
it tastes better
all of this comes at a cost but I recal the days when the only chicken available was effectively an organic chicken which you ate once a week at best, we tend to have a non meat day and maybe a little fish on another.

My son worked at a farm that bred chickens three ways
Kentucky - 42 days old exactly
supermarket, kept in a barn but led a sort of life
Organic, free range, able to live the life the animal was born to prior to being dispatched.

so yes i do find the way some cultures address their dietary habits but for now I am trying to put my house in order before I reflect on others

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
But we would happily crated crated veal, Kentucky fried chicken (read up on that one if you want cruelty), horse meat (Birds eye), I could go on....
Double standards maybe or people in glass houses ?
I actually struggle to justify my meat eating, in truth.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Spot on
The memsahib and I buy all our meat from honeywells (other butchers are available), we do this because:-
It supports local businesses
You know the provenance of the meat
it was treated humanely
It doesnt come in a plastic packager having been driven from Poland or wherever
it tastes better
all of this comes at a cost but I recal the days when the only chicken available was effectively an organic chicken which you ate once a week at best, we tend to have a non meat day and maybe a little fish on another.

My son worked at a farm that bred chickens three ways
Kentucky - 42 days old exactly
supermarket, kept in a barn but led a sort of life
Organic, free range, able to live the life the animal was born to prior to being dispatched.

so yes i do find the way some cultures address their dietary habits but for now I am trying to put my house in order before I reflect on others
It is a really refreshing debate - going back a few years, such debates often descended into militant meat eaters vs. militant vegans/vegetarians, with everyone in the middle driven off.

Now, folk are increasingly seeking common ground - still a few extremists, but most people accept other points of view. :)

PNEPPC

First Team
I've no problem eating anything as long as it has led a good life and been humanely killed. There is a huge amount of sentimentality surrounding meat eating. It's ok to eat a pig because they're not cute and fluffy, but not ok to eat dog, (which I have eaten but tastes sharp and bitter).
I've got chickens and every so often one ends up on the menu. They're a native species, not been bred for their meat, taste delicious and at 42 days old are still only a few inches tall and still being looked after by the mother hen. Last year we had visitors, one of them refused to eat a chicken as she'd seen it walking round the garden a few days earlier, but she had no problem eating a Tesco battery chicken.

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
It is a really refreshing debate - going back a few years, such debates often descended into militant meat eaters vs. militant vegans/vegetarians, with everyone in the middle driven off.

Now, folk are increasingly seeking common ground - still a few extremists, but most people accept other points of view. :)
Fuck off you mink murdererer

edgy

Manager
I've no problem eating anything as long as it has led a good life and been humanely killed. There is a huge amount of sentimentality surrounding meat eating. It's ok to eat a pig because they're not cute and fluffy, but not ok to eat dog, (which I have eaten but tastes sharp and bitter).
I've got chickens and every so often one ends up on the menu. They're a native species, not been bred for their meat, taste delicious and at 42 days old are still only a few inches tall and still being looked after by the mother hen. Last year we had visitors, one of them refused to eat a chicken as she'd seen it walking round the garden a few days earlier, but she had no problem eating a Tesco battery chicken.
Rabbit needs to be put back onto the menu