Gerrard at Ibrox?

marsbars

Banned
Steven Gerrard is on the verge of becoming the new Rangers manager. If one person is going to stop Rodgers winning the league it will be Gerrard, he's already done it once before :D:D:D

Sorry it tickled me :D

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Steven Gerrard is on the verge of becoming the new Rangers manager. If one person is going to stop Rodgers winning the league it will be Gerrard, he's already done it once before :D:D:D

Sorry it tickled me :D

Tickles me too...... They are starting to remind me of Sunderland..

OP
marsbars

marsbars

Banned
The likeness between the 2 clubs is uncanny.

In fairness Ive found sunderland fans to be decent on the whole though.

Yeah given the choice of Blue or Green of course you'd go green. Anti-British, supporting terrorism, anti- armed forces etc etc

Pfffttt....

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Yeah given the choice of Blue or Green of course you'd go green. Anti-British, supporting terrorism, anti- armed forces etc etc

Pfffttt....

My Scottish club is queen of the South.

I leave the big clubs for the glory hunters ;)

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
I’m a Scottish club Glory Hunter. Always had a soft spot for Montrose, since going up there in 1998 When Moyes was manager for a pre-season tourney involving PNE, Montrose, East Fife and Dunfermline.

Montrose have just won the Scottish 2nd Division title. First title for 33 years. Get In !!!!!

Mortis

Forum Patron
Patron
I have a soft spot for Ross County have seen them twice at home in the last couple of seasons due to holidays near Inverness ( its the only place where we can get all the families together middle of nowhere but stunning :) ) , the Staggies fans are very welcoming and no issues wearing a Preston shirt ..

Mortis

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
I have a soft spot for Ross County have seen them twice at home in the last couple of seasons due to holidays near Inverness ( its the only place where we can get all the families together middle of nowhere but stunning :) ) , the Staggies fans are very welcoming and no issues wearing a Preston shirt ..

Mortis

A mate of mine is a big fan and kept inviting me, but never managed to get up there for a game. Ayr United and Stirling Albion are my Scottish teams :)

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron

Mortis

Been to Dingwall a few times myself. My lad played for Ross County in their 1st season in the Scottish Premier League.

Very friendly club and great fans.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
My Scottish club is queen of the South.

I leave the big clubs for the glory hunters ;)
Nice one Raefil - I spent a week on trial at Palmerston Park back in 1980 after Carlisle United turned me down. They we managed by a bloke called Georgie Herd, who had played for Sunderland in his day. Love the Dumfries area and still nip up there if I'm ever in the Lake District!!!

MrHodgeheg123

Tickety-boo
Nice one Raefil - I spent a week on trial at Palmerston Park back in 1980 after Carlisle United turned me down. They we managed by a bloke called Georgie Herd, who had played for Sunderland in his day. Love the Dumfries area and still nip up there if I'm ever in the Lake District!!!

Were you on trial for impersonating being a footballer?
How long did you get?

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Were you on trial for impersonating being a footballer?
How long did you get?
Ha!
I used to train at Carlisle in the school hols after being spotted playing in the Churches league. The same scout had a few contacts up in Scotland too and he recommended me to QOS. My Headmaster agreed to let my stint with them count as work experience !

JFK-1

Advisor to the Owner
So thus far the Gerrard experiment is looking to be inspired. Undefeated both domestically and in Europe one step away from the Europa league group stages. When he was announced I was more hopeful than optimistic but now fully aboard the Gerrard express.

He has recruited well and proven himself to have a tactical flexibility. An ability to tinker with the personnel and formation if things aren't working out as planned. Still early days but so far hasn't put a foot wrong.

MrHodgeheg123

Tickety-boo
So thus far the Gerrard experiment is looking to be inspired. Undefeated both domestically and in Europe one step away from the Europa league group stages. When he was announced I was more hopeful than optimistic but now fully aboard the Gerrard express.

He has recruited well and proven himself to have a tactical flexibility. An ability to tinker with the personnel and formation if things aren't working out as planned. Still early days but so far hasn't put a foot wrong.

We turned him down so he had to make do with a smaller club.:)

JFK-1

Advisor to the Owner
We turned him down so he had to make do with a smaller club.:)

Well i'm confident Gerrad has ambitions to make them as big as PNE :)

Starting on Thursday night with a Europa league play off round first leg. Everyone knows his ultimate ambition is to manage Liverpool and I thought he demonstrated extreme confidence taking this job because it puts him in the spotlight in so many ways.

Mess this up and his ambitions to manage Liverpool could quickly go the same way as the ambitions of Gary Neville to manage Man Utd.

Aqueous

Advisor to the Owner
Well i'm confident Gerrad has ambitions to make them as big as PNE :)

Starting on Thursday night with a Europa league play off round first leg. Everyone knows his ultimate ambition is to manage Liverpool and I thought he demonstrated extreme confidence taking this job because it puts him in the spotlight in so many ways.

Mess this up and his ambitions to manage Liverpool could quickly go the same way as the ambitions of Gary Neville to manage Man Utd.

Just to play devil's advocate, it's a little early to be claiming he's a good manager. He's had what, 8 games?

I think you could put down the current season's start to the players giving it more and everyone being on a bit of a lift because of Gerrard's reputation/name more than anything.

It'll be interesting to see how he does when they lose a couple of games. That will be the real test of how good a manger he is.

I also think he is a hell of a long way away from a Premier League job, let alone Liverpool! He's at, arguably, the second best team in that division. Hardly that much of a challenge all told. If he can't succeed there, he won't last long as a manager!

Frankly, I would say that Lampard has taken the harder and more ambitious route by going into the Championship. Which is a better standard in my opinion, particularly if you take away 2/3 of the teams from the SPL. I'd say that Gerrard has a much easier time of it with his choice of club.

JFK-1

Advisor to the Owner
Just to play devil's advocate, it's a little early to be claiming he's a good manager. He's had what, 8 games?

I think you could put down the current season's start to the players giving it more and everyone being on a bit of a lift because of Gerrard's reputation/name more than anything.

It'll be interesting to see how he does when they lose a couple of games. That will be the real test of how good a manger he is.

I also think he is a hell of a long way away from a Premier League job, let alone Liverpool! He's at, arguably, the second best team in that division. Hardly that much of a challenge all told. If he can't succeed there, he won't last long as a manager!

Frankly, I would say that Lampard has taken the harder and more ambitious route by going into the Championship. Which is a better standard in my opinion, particularly if you take away 2/3 of the teams from the SPL. I'd say that Gerrard has a much easier time of it with his choice of club.

Well I did start my first comment there with "So thus far"

And thus far he's negotiated 9 competitive matches undefeated including an away day at Aberdeen where they played over 80 minutes of the game down to 10 men and still dominated in a way Burnley failed to with 11 men. Throw in 6 Euro qualifications ties undefeated and in none of these games domestic or Euro have they even been behind at any time it's unarguably a good and impressive start.

I think he has taken a far more high profile position than Lampard at a club where the expectations are far higher than at Derby. As you say even a single defeat far less a couple will see intense scrutiny but I think he's savvy enough to know that and knew it before he took the position.

Plus you say he's at "arguably, the second best team in that division" which hasn't been the case in the two seasons they have been back in it, Aberdeen were. And you need to appreciate that even being second best isn't good enough to get him plaudits. He has to make the team the best and quick at that or he will be labeled a failure not just by the fans but the media too. There's nothing like that kind of pressure or level of media scrutiny at Derby.

And considering the journey Rangers have been on over the past 6 years while Celtic stole a march with what amounted to probably comfortably over £100 million in Euro money overtaking them is a tall order indeed. If he can do it it's a remarkable achievement.

And at the end of the day all I said was it was a good start. I would fully agree it remains to be seen what will become of it over the course of a season.