PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Gerrard at Ibrox?

What a pessimist. You sound just like a PNE fan. 😀🤔
All my teams are the same. I follow four clubs in four different countries. So far this weekend, three of them have lost. The fourth kicks off shortly. I deal with this by putting on a four-way bet every weekend for all to lose. If any of them don’t lose, I’m happy. If they all lose, I get money. Need professional help!

All my teams are the same. I follow four clubs in four different countries. So far this weekend, three of them have lost. The fourth kicks off shortly. I deal with this by putting on a four-way bet every weekend for all to lose. If any of them don’t lose, I’m happy. If they all lose, I get money. Need professional help!
Not so. I have a very similar betting strategy.

Not so. I have a very similar betting strategy.
My football burdens are all long-standing relationships.

Motherwell since 1968 (born 300 yards from Fir Park). North End since 1971 (initially through my aunt and later lived in Preston myself for 21 years). Fortuna Düsseldorf since 1991 (been there ten times on holiday). FC Utrecht since 1996 (went there to watch Motherwell in a friendly and finished up on the lash in their supporters’ club afterwards). Nobody can call me a glory hunter!!

My football burdens are all long-standing relationships.

Motherwell since 1968 (born 300 yards from Fir Park). North End since 1971 (initially through my aunt and later lived in Preston myself for 21 years). Fortuna Düsseldorf since 1991 (been there ten times on holiday). FC Utrecht since 1996 (went there to watch Motherwell in a friendly and finished up on the lash in their supporters’ club afterwards). Nobody can call me a glory hunter!!

I'm from Hamilton, been in the US since 2012.

Scots have always been known for getting about! I knew quite a few during my years in Preston. I lived in Germany too but I was the sole exotic foreigner!

Came to Oklahoma on March 7th 2012 and been here ever since. In that time I met two Scots briefly. I'm most definitely the only Scot around everywhere I go. Even English are rare. So to them i'm sort of exotic, they love the accent. The general attitude towards it perhaps typified by a remark one work colleague made. He said, "I want to borrow his accent for a weekend and hit the nightclubs"

But Oklahomans are mostly entirely ignorant of much outside the US. Examples I have encountered. Is Scotland in England? Is Scotland in Europe?

Are you from like Norway or something? And to that particular one I replies no I'm from Scotland. To which he replies with "your English is very good, was it hard to learn? I heard English is hard to learn"

And that's just a tiny sample of such dumbfuckery. Oklahoma is Midwest, land locked sitting just above Texas. And about equally as far from the glitz and culture of either the East or West coasts. A sort of hicksville.

Bible belt, gun totin, Trump supporting religious fundies who think the Earth is brand new and all life appeared on it around 6,000 years or so ago in a single day by magic spell. Not all of them but a very large number.

When my Oklahoman wife was growing up she was out walking with her religious fundamentalist father one day. Around a hundred million years or so ago Oklahoma was covered by a large inland sea. About 600 miles wide and 2,000 miles long. It's why there is an oil industry in Oklahoma. The oil was deposited by that sea.

But anyway, my wife is walking along and she finds a fossilised sea shell and says to her dad. We're far from any sea, how did this get here. He says, "the flood"

A little taste of Oklahoma while scarcely mentioning the tornados.

Came to Oklahoma on March 7th 2012 and been here ever since. In that time I met two Scots briefly. I'm most definitely the only Scot around everywhere I go. Even English are rare. So to them i'm sort of exotic, they love the accent. The general attitude towards it perhaps typified by a remark one work colleague made. He said, "I want to borrow his accent for a weekend and hit the nightclubs"

But Oklahomans are mostly entirely ignorant of much outside the US. Examples I have encountered. Is Scotland in England? Is Scotland in Europe?

Are you from like Norway or something? And to that particular one I replies no I'm from Scotland. To which he replies with "your English is very good, was it hard to learn? I heard English is hard to learn"

And that's just a tiny sample of such dumbfuckery. Oklahoma is Midwest, land locked sitting just above Texas. And about equally as far from the glitz and culture of either the East or West coasts. A sort of hicksville.

Bible belt, gun totin, Trump supporting religious fundies who think the Earth is brand new and all life appeared on it around 6,000 years or so ago in a single day by magic spell. Not all of them but a very large number.

When my Oklahoman wife was growing up she was out walking with her religious fundamentalist father one day. Around a hundred million years or so ago Oklahoma was covered by a large inland sea. About 600 miles wide and 2,000 miles long. It's why there is an oil industry in Oklahoma. The oil was deposited by that sea.

But anyway, my wife is walking along and she finds a fossilised sea shell and says to her dad. We're far from any sea, how did this get here. He says, "the flood"

A lad I knew in Germany had lived in America for a while. He went for a beer after work one night over there and someone asked where he was from. “Dortmund” he replied. “Oh, did you drive here?” was the reply!

Used to live in the Midwest. This all sounds familiar.

Went skiing in an old quarry up in Michigan, had to show some ID to rent the skis. We handed over our British passports and she said she'd never seen one of those before. I said - what, a British passport? She said - no, any passport.

Used to live in the Midwest. This all sounds familiar.

Went skiing in an old quarry up in Michigan, had to show some ID to rent the skis. We handed over our British passports and she said she'd never seen one of those before. I said - what, a British passport? She said - no, any passport.
I drove big red open-top City Sightseeing buses in Glasgow for a while, as I mentioned previously, and Americans were by far the thickest passengers I had to deal with.

During the high season, buses were every 10 minutes and every second departure had a guide commentating live via a microphone. The ones in between had a recorded multi-lingual commentary operated by the driver and accessed by the passenger via free headphones. The passenger could choose any of nine languages. The destination display on the bus made it clear whether it was a live guide or recorded.

One day, whilst driving a live bus, I was harangued at length,whilst driving, by a fat American who complained that he couldn’t understand the guide’s Scottish accent and could he have headphones for an American accent!

This will feature in my autobiography in the chapter ‘People I Should Have Punched But Didn’t’.

I drove big red open-top City Sightseeing buses in Glasgow for a while, as I mentioned previously, and Americans were by far the thickest passengers I had to deal with.

During the high season, buses were every 10 minutes and every second departure had a guide commentating live via a microphone. The ones in between had a recorded multi-lingual commentary operated by the driver and accessed by the passenger via free headphones. The passenger could choose any of nine languages. The destination display on the bus made it clear whether it was a live guide or recorded.

One day, whilst driving a live bus, I was harangued at length,whilst driving, by a fat American who complained that he couldn’t understand the guide’s Scottish accent and could he have headphones for an American accent!

This will feature in my autobiography in the chapter ‘People I Should Have Punched But Didn’t’.

How about this one though it didn't personally affect me. The solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, dubbed the "Great American Eclipse" by the media, it covered the nation from coast to coast. Of course there had been a massive build up to this event and I was eager to see it myself. It was eclipse mania as the big day approached.

One school got an email from an annoyed mother. The big day is a school day, can't they reorganise this for a weekend when she can experience this with the kids?

How about this one though it didn't personally affect me. The solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, dubbed the "Great American Eclipse" by the media, it covered the nation from coast to coast. Of course there had been a massive build up to this event and I was eager to see it myself. It was eclipse mania as the big day approached.

One school got an email from an annoyed mother. The big day is a school day, can't they reorganise this for a weekend when she can experience this with the kids?
Reminds me of the American in Edinburgh asking why they built the castle so far away from the railway station.

Reminds me of the American in Edinburgh asking why they built the castle so far away from the railway station.

My taid (Welsh for granddad) similarly overhead an American tourist say while looking at Conwy castle, "It's a shame they built it so close to the train line".

Sounds like American tourists just go around castles saying ridiculous things to wind us up, they aren't THAT daft... Surely.

My taid (Welsh for granddad) similarly overhead an American tourist say while looking at Conwy castle, "It's a shame they built it so close to the train line".

Sounds like American tourists just go around castles saying ridiculous things to wind us up, they aren't THAT daft... Surely.
On the other hand, it could have been an American with a sense of humour. 😲
Unlikely I know.😄

Unlikely I know.😄

We used to have this sketch on the telly 'Talking to Americans'. This is a short clip but there's plenty more on Youtube. Makes you wonder dunnit 😂

Unlikely I know.😄

I would have agreed, but you know that thing about a tree falling in a forest? Well, unless you're prompted by canned laughter to laugh after an American makes a joke, to them it's not a joke.

As it seems to offend some folk on here I'll refrain from posting the highlights of the Old Firm game yesterday :D

Thought it was pretty even to be fair, it all came down to one set piece which they just can't seem to defend at all.

Considering Rangers had played on Thursday in Armenia which is a big trip & the fact that we weren't anywhere near at full strength, even though it wasn't a great performance we still managed to win the game which is the main thing in any OF game but especially the 1st one of the season.

'mon The Gers.

As it seems to offend some folk on here I'll refrain from posting the highlights of the Old Firm game yesterday :D

Thought it was pretty even to be fair, it all came down to one set piece which they just can't seem to defend at all.

Considering Rangers had played on Thursday in Armenia which is a big trip & the fact that we weren't anywhere near at full strength, even though it wasn't a great performance we still managed to win the game which is the main thing in any OF game but especially the 1st one of the season.

'mon The Gers.
You don’t offend anyone and first and foremost you’re a North End fan who likes Rangers.
Not some random guy who has no affiliation to our club whatsoever yet continually posts Rangers content on our message board. That’s why a few of us said he’s weird for doing so.
As it goes I’m always glad when they beat the wannabe Irish, terrorist loving goons.