PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Gerrard at Ibrox?

Be interesting to see how he gets on, it’ll be a very different beast to Rangers / the SPL

SG was always gonna jump ship the 1st time a decent Premier League job came up.

As a Rangers fan I don't think you can grumble with the job he did, delivered 55 & left the Club in a better state than he found it. The timing could've been better so he didn't go mid season but that's the way it goes.

Will be interesting to see how he copes with the undoubted step up though.

SG was always gonna jump ship the 1st time a decent Premier League job came up.

As a Rangers fan I don't think you can grumble with the job he did, delivered 55 & left the Club in a better state than he found it. The timing could've been better so he didn't go mid season but that's the way it goes.

Will be interesting to see how he copes with the undoubted step up though.
I hate Celtic and Liverpool FC fans with a passion, you’ll never find scummier set of scrubbers, while I wished him well at Rangers, now he’s at Villa, I hope he’s sacked by Easter and ends up at Fleetwood.

Very interesting result that is going to make for a fascinating title race.

It is actually being covered heavily in the Greek media considering the strong Greek connection with Celtic at the moment - Ange is signing some Greek players, plus Panathinaikos fans have a brotherhood with Celtic.

Always preferred Olympiakos - the Pride of Piraeus!

Always preferred Olympiakos - the Pride of Piraeus!
If I had to pick an Athens/Piraeus team, AEK for me.

The Panathinaikos link is a strange one. Seems to be one way and based on nothing more than both teams wear green and white with a shamrock badge.

As far as I know most Celtic fans prefer Olympiakos. No surprise given the strong friendship between Liverpool and Olympiakos.

Really must try to get up to Piraeus for a night out. Been far too long!

If I had to pick an Athens/Piraeus team, AEK for me.

The Panathinaikos link is a strange one. Seems to be one way and based on nothing more than both teams wear green and white with a shamrock badge.

As far as I know most Celtic fans prefer Olympiakos. No surprise given the strong friendship between Liverpool and Olympiakos.

Really must try to get up to Piraeus for a night out. Been far too long!

AEK - the K stands for Constantinople. Quite a few Greek teams started out in what is now Turkey but were forced to move after the 1922 war. But you probably knew that anyway!! I have a feeling PAOK might be the same.

AEK - the K stands for Constantinople. Quite a few Greek teams started out in what is now Turkey but were forced to move after the 1922 war. But you probably knew that anyway!! I have a feeling PAOK might be the same.
Are they dyslexic?

There's a few clubs like this, Greuther Fürth I don't know if there's a link with Celtic, obviously Shamrock Rovers have links. I'm certain there are others too but I can't think which clubs they are.

Yup - PAOK are originally from there, too. They still have friendships with Turkish clubs. As a rule of thumb, if they have the double headed Byzantine eagle on their crest, there is a good chance they were originally from what is now Turkey.

As an aside, I live in the 'old half' of my village. The 'new half' was actually built for refugees from Anatolia - the monastery donated the land, and people in Serbia donated money for building houses.

A few years ago, they had a display in the village, showing a couple of documentaries about the population exchanges and playing some traditional Pontian Greek music - and I chatted to a couple of old people who actually remembered it.