PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Gods of snooker bbc one

What a great 3 part series. It’s on iPlayer now. Covers the characters of the 80s involved in snooker. At the time I didn’t really appreciate the mix of skill and characters. But now in hindsight what an amazing set of people they were. Davies, Higgins, white, knowles, Kirk stevens.. even a spotty hendry. Talent at snooker and a few of them talented at “nightlife”. Snooker was never my thing but to be so good at something and be off your head half the time takes some going..

and didn’t Davies marry a lass from Penwortham?

I've watched it too and its a good little series, but the title isn't very apt IMO. Jimmy White was no god of snooker.

What a great 3 part series. It’s on iPlayer now. Covers the characters of the 80s involved in snooker. At the time I didn’t really appreciate the mix of skill and characters. But now in hindsight what an amazing set of people they were. Davies, Higgins, white, knowles, Kirk stevens.. even a spotty hendry. Talent at snooker and a few of them talented at “nightlife”. Snooker was never my thing but to be so good at something and be off your head half the time takes some going..

and didn’t Davies marry a lass from Penwortham?
You missed out Bill Werbeniuk, one of the real characters. A true model of an elite sportsman. Thinking back, he was the Jon Parkin of snooker. :ROFLMAO:

Every day he was playing in a comp he'd polish off 13 pints of lager and a 20 pack of ciggies!

Apparently this was to suppress some kind of nerve problem which affected his ability to play.

I din't know about this program but will give it a watch. I went through a period of eating, drinking and sleeping snooker in the late 70's/early 80's and played for our local cath club team. I got to see some matches in the UK championships at the Guild Hall without paying. It was ridiculously easy to sneak in, we just stood at the back at first but always found a seat. For the finals it was trickier to find a seat but we always managed! 😂

Btw, towards the end of his career, I met Steve Higgins in a pub in Manchester, he was at the bar and I just said hi, he pulled up a bar stool and bought me three pints in rapid succession. It was sad tbh, he was pissed and just needed somebody to talk to who knew something about snooker. He was slagging a load of people of, including referees, but he was so pissed I couldn't understand half of what he said!

Btw, towards the end of his career, I met Steve Higgins in a pub in Manchester, he was at the bar and I just said hi, he pulled up a bar stool and bought me three pints in rapid succession. It was sad tbh, he was pissed and just needed somebody to talk to who knew something about snooker. He was slagging a load of people of, including referees, but he was so pissed I couldn't understand half of what he said!
Do you mean Steve Higgins? Or maybe Alex Davis?

I may be wrong then
I thought it was Kirk Stephen’s
With a 155
Whomever he played fouled and he got a free ball
Played a colour as a red
Onto the black
Then 147
155 is the maximum possible but, like Reg, I can only find reference to this by Google in friendlies. There's nothing I could find on Google re Kirk Stevens achieving this, even in a friendly.

You missed out Bill Werbeniuk, one of the real characters. A true model of an elite sportsman. Thinking back, he was the Jon Parkin of snooker. :ROFLMAO:

Every day he was playing in a comp he'd polish off 13 pints of lager and a 20 pack of ciggies!

Apparently this was to suppress some kind of nerve problem which affected his ability to play.

I din't know about this program but will give it a watch. I went through a period of eating, drinking and sleeping snooker in the late 70's/early 80's and played for our local cath club team. I got to see some matches in the UK championships at the Guild Hall without paying. It was ridiculously easy to sneak in, we just stood at the back at first but always found a seat. For the finals it was trickier to find a seat but we always managed! 😂

" Steve Higgins " ? Are you sure you've sobered up since that encounter?. :D

I may be wrong but can’t imagine I’ve just invented it
I don’t think you have, although my memory is of Alex Higgins doing it. I’m absolutely sure it was in one of my Guinness Book of World Records when I was younger.

I once went to an exhibition between Alex Higgins and Bill Werbenuik, at the end of each frame there was a waiter coming up with fresh drinks. I also got an autographed copy of a single b6 Alex Higgins, originally titled 147!