Golf!!!!!!

Henry Weston

Forum Patron
Patron

It was on the bbc website alongside the video... apparently something of a tradition at the 16th during practice. Most of them have a go. To be honest, I'm surprised... such a 'mental' game, I would not want to be practising shanking it in the direction of the water!
I don't need to practice that. It seems to come naturally...............:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Henry Weston

Forum Patron
Patron
Just a light hearted comment about Rory... He won Majors very young and in 2014 he was being held up as a dominant player who might challenge Niklaus / Tiger in terms of career majors. I can't now remember what triggered me to think he might not be the phenomenon that was made out - but it stuck in my mind that I created that thread, saying I wouldn't be surprised if he never won another major. That's all. I might be right, I might be wrong.

He does seem to be becoming more consistent again. COVID might even help, just changing the scene... with no crowds. Mid November conditions... might just shake him out of any mental baggage that might have build up. So... top 3 is certainly a possibility. I'm going to guess not again though. As for Dechambeau... he's a beast and clear favourite. But one thing with golf is that the best player wins perhaps less often than in a lot of other sports... so you never know.

I'd prefer Rory to win over Dechambeau. He's so focussed (got to admire that aspect)... but I don't like his demeanor (5Live said tonight that he has stated that Augusta is, to him, a par 67 because of his length off the tee). Big-headed git - and I don't like his hat :LOL:
Just a light hearted comment about Rory... He won Majors very young and in 2014 he was being held up as a dominant player who might challenge Niklaus / Tiger in terms of career majors. I can't now remember what triggered me to think he might not be the phenomenon that was made out - but it stuck in my mind that I created that thread, saying I wouldn't be surprised if he never won another major. That's all. I might be right, I might be wrong.

He does seem to be becoming more consistent again. COVID might even help, just changing the scene... with no crowds. Mid November conditions... might just shake him out of any mental baggage that might have build up. So... top 3 is certainly a possibility. I'm going to guess not again though. As for Dechambeau... he's a beast and clear favourite. But one thing with golf is that the best player wins perhaps less often than in a lot of other sports... so you never know.

I'd prefer Rory to win over Dechambeau. He's so focussed (got to admire that aspect)... but I don't like his demeanor (5Live said tonight that he has stated that Augusta is, to him, a par 67 because of his length off the tee). Big-headed git - and I don't like his hat :LOL:
Encouraging start.. 💩🤓
Could be a case of DeShambles!
Plenty of time though.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
How often do Paul Casey and Lee Westwood fly out out of the blocks in a Major?
I know, I said the same thing to my brother earlier.... I would love one of them to win it, but they won’t !!!

too many good yanks in the field : Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Schauffelle, Reed, Cantlay......

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Feels strange. Every year we have a boys golf weekend away on the Masters. Golf in the day, black sambuca at night. Hungover to bollocks in the morning.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Well Mr Bryson "I'm going to treat Augusta as a par 67" Dechambeau... Does your finishing score count as +18 :p

He's just been interviewed (bbc2 highlights programme) saying that he didn't feel great... some dizziness... and he looked to me like he was sweating up a bit. Hope he's OK. If I was the interviewer, I'd have been been using a 10 metre microphone boom.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Well... just watched the rest of it (I knew the winner having seen ITV news earlier but knew nothing else of today's story). Really nice to see Johnson win... he comes across a nice bloke - and I like it when people like him does so well at sport... he doesn't even look coordinated when he walks! Just watching him interviewed... he can't speak. Crying - and I really don't blame him!

Cameron Smith continued to play really well for tied second - becoming the first ever Masters' player to shoot four rounds in the 60s and still didn't win! Also amazing that the newbie South Korean Im held it together so well for joint second too. The headline writers must have been hoping to use "Im a Celebrity!"

Woods got a ten for the first time in his career... but finally, Rory.. Disastrous first round and generally missed out on the opportunities of the par fives - but I think he was the best scorer over the last three rounds. Good 5th placed finish. Could have really challenged for this one... but that's golf.

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Got to be in the best two or three commentators of all time. Golf won’t sound the same again.

Let’s hope that nobody shouts “Get in the hole” at his funeral.

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron
Certainly up there agreed. Peter Jones Football for me is number one, commentary for the Maradona goal as covered elsewhere is sublime.

May be completely wrong here but I think he passed away live on air doing the Boat Race

And you're right, Golf is going to be a bit different from now on

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Got to be in the best two or three commentators of all time. Golf won’t sound the same again.

Definitely up there as the greatest commentators of all time along with Peter O' Sullivan and John Motson.