Gordon Banks

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I am old enough to remember Banks in 1966 and that amazing save in 1970 from a Pele header.....a truly outstanding keeper

RIP

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Legend is a word used far too loosely, these days. Not with gordon banks though. A genuine legend of the game.

RIP Gordon and I can honestly say, "Thanks for the memories."

A true great of the game.

pnesaint

Reserve
The best of the best. Banks (and Alan Kelly) was my hero as a child - always liked to play in goal. Will always be remembered for '66 and that save in '70. RIP.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
He produced the greatest save that i have ever seen in my lifetime...............

RIP Gordon...
Former England midfielder Alan Mullery played with Banks in the 1970 World Cup match against Brazil, and described to 5 live the famous save that denied Pele.
"Jairzinho was flying down the wing, and he clips the ball to the far post, and Pele - who climbed to such a height better than anybody else - headed the ball and Gordon went from one post to another and he flicks the ball with his fingertips and it just goes over the crossbar," he said.

"I patted him on his head, and I said 'why didn't you catch it?' and the abuse that came back was unbelievable.

RIP Gordon...