PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Gordon Banks

Legend is a word used far too loosely, these days. Not with gordon banks though. A genuine legend of the game.

RIP Gordon and I can honestly say, "Thanks for the memories."

A true great of the game.

The best of the best. Banks (and Alan Kelly) was my hero as a child - always liked to play in goal. Will always be remembered for '66 and that save in '70. RIP.

He produced the greatest save that i have ever seen in my lifetime...............

RIP Gordon...

He produced the greatest save that i have ever seen in my lifetime...............

RIP Gordon...

Former England midfielder Alan Mullery played with Banks in the 1970 World Cup match against Brazil, and described to 5 live the famous save that denied Pele.
"Jairzinho was flying down the wing, and he clips the ball to the far post, and Pele - who climbed to such a height better than anybody else - headed the ball and Gordon went from one post to another and he flicks the ball with his fingertips and it just goes over the crossbar," he said.

"I patted him on his head, and I said 'why didn't you catch it?' and the abuse that came back was unbelievable.

RIP Gordon...

Rest in peace Gordon and thanks for some great childhood footballing memories. A true legend of the game and a true gentleman.

Rest in peace Gordon and thanks for some great childhood footballing memories. A true legend of the game and a true gentleman.

I actually got his autograph (long disappeared) in 1961 when he played at Deepdale for Leicester.