Grassroots Football - UCLAN

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron

Found this on Facebook. UCLAN are pushing to more American Football over in Cottam.

Obviously a big issue considering the importance of grassroots football, so worth bringing to the forum's attention.

jarjar

Reserve
Think this needs a bit more explanation? Are they changing it for American football? The petition says “American soccer”. Confused!

jarjar

Reserve
Seems a strange move to get rid of grassroots on there. Can’t see how American football would be more profitable unless they’re going to be hosting tournaments there? I know it’s a growing sport over here but it must still be minuscule to the amount of grassroots football played in this country!

pbc373

Manager
I think it's an error. My understanding is that there are are a couple of Academy's who want to use it as feeder areas to pick up young local talent and that it is going to be used by Toronto Wolfpack who will compete in the 2021 Rugby Super League. Of course they will pay a lot more money than your Sunday League Amateur Football Teams & kids football.

Next on the list will be the removal of Preston Harriers from the under maintained running track, to use the pitch in the centre for rugby, American Football or Football matches.

It's sad, Preston Council invested a considerable sum of money in the construction of the UCLAN Sports Arena and in return were given a promise of 20 years use for the amateur sports clubs of Preston. Guess what, the 20 years is up, so they've not hung around. Give it a couple of years and they'll sell it for housing, wonder if that's why North End were using a couple of pitches, Trev testing the water. It's prime housing land after all.

sf

Advisor to the Owner
UCLan have had an American Football team for a long time, maybe it's more popular as even fat geeks can play it.

Maybe we've got enough footy pitches in Preston? and this isn't a big deal?

PS. American Football is gash.

baysidepne

Manager
Do you know if these are the 2 main pitches on the right as you drive in? Or the entire bottom land?? Those are the only grass pitches I can think of, the rest is all astro.

At least 4 round the back too (or at least there was pre-academy moving in).

Sad move by the university, had a lot of good times down at the Arena over the past 15 years. All about money sadly, as too much is in society these days.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
At least 4 round the back too (or at least there was pre-academy moving in).

Sad move by the university, had a lot of good times down at the Arena over the past 15 years. All about money sadly, as too much is in society these days.
Yeah that was the bottom land I referred to. But that's a massive area, surely they can't mean concreting over that??! It would make a 5,000 space car park! It must be the 2 pitches at the front?

Uclan is a superb facility, be gutted if they start to wind it down.

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron
I think it's an error. My understanding is that there are are a couple of Academy's who want to use it as feeder areas to pick up young local talent and that it is going to be used by Toronto Wolfpack who will compete in the 2021 Rugby Super League. Of course they will pay a lot more money than your Sunday League Amateur Football Teams & kids football.

Next on the list will be the removal of Preston Harriers from the under maintained running track, to use the pitch in the centre for rugby, American Football or Football matches.

It's sad, Preston Council invested a considerable sum of money in the construction of the UCLAN Sports Arena and in return were given a promise of 20 years use for the amateur sports clubs of Preston. Guess what, the 20 years is up, so they've not hung around. Give it a couple of years and they'll sell it for housing, wonder if that's why North End were using a couple of pitches, Trev testing the water. It's prime housing land after all.
Is it under maintained? One of my daughters runs for Harriers and trains there twice a week, or at least did do!!

Always looked OK to me with the proviso I have never run on it and wouldn't know a good track from a bad track to be perfectly honest. Extremely untrained eye!!

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Is it under maintained? One of my daughters runs for Harriers and trains there twice a week, or at least did do!!

Always looked OK to me with the proviso I have never run on it and wouldn't know a good track from a bad track to be perfectly honest. Extremely untrained eye!!
We're in Harriers too. They were supposed to be relaying the entire track this spring (April time I was told). Plans were made last year. But the rest is history...

It's a bit worn in places but actually not too bad. The worrying thing is the lack of alternatives in the area if the worst was to happen.

pbc373

Manager
We're in Harriers too. They were supposed to be relaying the entire track this spring (April time I was told). Plans were made last year. But the rest is history...

It's a bit worn in places but actually not too bad. The worrying thing is the lack of alternatives in the area if the worst was to happen.
Trust me it need's relaying, the inside two lanes were relayed about 8 years ago, the rest are the original ones. It floods when it rains along the back straight and has done since they put the new 4G pitch in. There are very few rails around the track but a substantial amount of plates with bolts sticking out which are very dangerous. The jumps runways need re surfacing. There is a manhole at the finish line that has a cone over it and has had for 10 years which when blown over results in the manhole collapsing when athletes stand on it . The high jump and pole vault beds have never been replaced since opening.
UCLAN spend minimal money on it because it doesn't make a profit and they don't promote athletics to potential University Students.

I would agree, the lack of an alternative venue is very worrying.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Trust me it need's relaying, the inside two lanes were relayed about 8 years ago, the rest are the original ones. It floods when it rains along the back straight and has done since they put the new 4G pitch in. There are very few rails around the track but a substantial amount of plates with bolts sticking out which are very dangerous. The jumps runways need re surfacing. There is a manhole at the finish line that has a cone over it and has had for 10 years which when blown over results in the manhole collapsing when athletes stand on it . The high jump and pole vault beds have never been replaced since opening.
UCLAN spend minimal money on it because it doesn't make a profit and they don't promote athletics to potential University Students.

I would agree, the lack of an alternative venue is very worrying.
Yeah, but apart from all that, it's spot on, right???! 😂

I'm just really nervous - it's not open yet despite the academic term starting. The same 'closed' message been on their website since July. Harriers groups have scattered all over Lancashire doing bits of training.

If that place ends up closing for good, it's a crime of the century.

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron
Yeah, but apart from all that, it's spot on, right???! 😂

I'm just really nervous - it's not open yet despite the academic term starting. The same 'closed' message been on their website since July. Harriers groups have scattered all over Lancashire doing bits of training.

If that place ends up closing for good, it's a crime of the century.
You're right, would be really bad news. Have never been involved in Athletics before as it was never really my thing but have enjoyed the last few years down there taking my daughter training and attending events etc. The general attitude of the parents is one of encouragement which is a bit of difference to watching my son play grass roots football at times. Some parental behaviour beggars belief. Other daughter plays Netball and that is quite sedate!!!

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
You're right, would be really bad news. Have never been involved in Athletics before as it was never really my thing but have enjoyed the last few years down there taking my daughter training and attending events etc. The general attitude of the parents is one of encouragement which is a bit of difference to watching my son play grass roots football at times. Some parental behaviour beggars belief. Other daughter plays Netball and that is quite sedate!!!
Agree - never heard a parent swearing during an 800m race, but hear it every week at our kids' football 😂

pbc373

Manager
I'm glad you and your children enjoy it, been involved in athletics for a very long time and have met numerous fantastic parents over the years who been incredibly supporting of their children. Parents and children all seem to get along and there doesn't appear to be the bitchiness involved in other sports.

It's been a testing last few months