Grayson - Why so much animosity?

Hypnotoad

First Team
Arguably gave us the best era for PNEFC 4 years on - correct me if i'm wrong but why did he get so much grief from some quarters?

Discuss

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Arguably gave us the best era for PNEFC 4 years on - correct me if i'm wrong but why did he get so much grief from some quarters?

Discuss
Because he played negative football. Even the playoff final we only had about 20% possession

northender1881

First Team
Think the sudden nature of his departure didn't help.

We gave him permission to talk to Sunderland and yet suddenly he was there, terms agreed and done and dusted in what seemed like no time at all. Very obvious he had been talking to them on the sly behind PNE's back for a little while if you ask me.

JK

The Big Boss
Staff member
Patron
Grayson did a very good job for North End.

His behaviour in the last few days of time here was disappointing.

Overall I think most PNE fans are greatful for what he did, was the right man at the right time.

His time had come to a natural end at the club and we’ve all moved on.

Will always get a good reception back at a Deepdale!

Henry Weston

Forum Patron
Patron
Because he played negative football. Even the playoff final we only had about 20% possession
I agree about playing negative football paddy, although didn't we actually score a lot in that promotion season? Think the possession was more like 35-40% but it's irrelevant anyway as the only stat that mattered that day was the final score....job done!
I also think that he left at the right time for us.

Some didn't like that he was ex blackpool . That last season at home with Mcgeady in full flow was terrific entertainment. He had a good eye for a player that we are still reaping the benefits from.

sf

Manager
Only manager that has successfully guided us through the play-offs.

Will always get a clap from me, if we ever got relegated and needed a manager, he would be my instant choice.

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
I agree about playing negative football paddy, although didn't we actually score a lot in that promotion season? Think the possession was more like 35-40% but it's irrelevant anyway as the only stat that mattered that day was the final score....job done!
I also think that he left at the right time for us.
Just checked it was 32% so you were closer.

I have no issues with him. When he was appointed I knew he would get us out of league one but always knew he would take us no further. Did what I expected and left at the right time

wld

First Team
This was an issue for many people, myself included. I would also add his flirtation with the Leeds job wasn’t well received, although it was rumoured he put himself forward whilst our manager it was only after he left that the confirmation was forthcoming.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I honestly didn't realise there was any animosity towards him. This thread suggest the OP has a point though.

He'll always be a bit of a legend to me. I like him.

shabbagaz

Forum Patron
Patron
His style of football was too 'safety first' at times and could be frustrating to watch. However, he banished our play-off curse and got us back to the Championship - for that I'll be forever grateful.

Always had a lot of time for the fans too - I know someone who met him on a number of occasions and will never say a bad word against him.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Or ambition?

Lets be honest I think hed taken PNE as far as he could have taken them but when a club as big as Sunderland comes along it would be difficult for any manager to resist.

did he do the right thing for himself?

probably financially but he has tainted his reputation. Virtually everyone knew what a clusterfuck Sunderland was. He must have backed himself to have the ability to turn the ship around. Like those before him, he failed.

FWIW I wish Grayson no ill and hope he finds himself back in the game very soon.

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron
I think Simon Grayson left us in a far better position than he found us. We also got the first win at Wembley since 1938, good manager that has earned a decent reception at Deepdale should be ever return. Good luck to him.

John T

Reserve
Or ambition?

Lets be honest I think hed taken PNE as far as he could have taken them but when a club as big as Sunderland comes along it would be difficult for any manager to resist.

did he do the right thing for himself?

probably financially but he has tainted his reputation. Virtually everyone knew what a clusterfuck Sunderland was. He must have backed himself to have the ability to turn the ship around. Like those before him, he failed.

FWIW I wish Grayson no ill and hope he finds himself back in the game very soon.
Yes for once I agree with you raefil
But there again I have always liked Billy Davies too

Worthington

First Team
No animosity from myself and I've not really heard any. He did something amazing with the play offs and then gave us a decent championship finish in our first year back up. Beating the Plastics in their own back yard and burnley in theirs along the way. Shame how he left and predictible how that ended, but having seen the Netflix documentary I see why he did it and it turned it for the best for us. Club legend status for me.

Nice One.

Hypnotoad

First Team
I honestly didn't realise there was any animosity towards him. This thread suggest the OP has a point though.

He'll always be a bit of a legend to me. I like him.
Just a pub discussion between mates who are more football savvy than myself - all PNE fans who hold different opinions of him - made good conversation - my view? the pinnacle of which was that he gave us what we wanted in London He is slightly behind the times we had in the 80's with McGrath.

(AN is proving his worth though - good times ahead)

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Only manager that has successfully guided us through the play-offs.

Will always get a clap from me, if we ever got relegated and needed a manager, he would be my instant choice.
Personally, I think he is finished as a manager in The Championship and maybe the top end bigger teams in L1.

His league record from his last 6 games at PNE (where he didn't seem arsed to myself), through 15 at Sunderland and finally 14 at Bradford makes for very very grim reading, whatever the circumstances.

PNE W 0, D 1, L5

Sun'lun W 1 D 7 L7

Bradford W 3 D 5 L 6

P 35 W 4 D 13 L 18

25/105

He took us up, superb stuff, but he left in a way that leaves a sour taste.

kbd_pne

First Team
Grayson did a very good job for North End.

His behaviour in the last few days of time here was disappointing.

Overall I think most PNE fans are greatful for what he did, was the right man at the right time.

His time had come to a natural end at the club and we’ve all moved on.

Will always get a good reception back at a Deepdale!
Was more like the last few months than days. Despite a few big wins at home, some felt he’d given up a bit and written the season off too early. Did a good job for PNE but definitely left at the right time for us. We now have a more hard-working, tactically-sophiscated, ambitious manager.