Grezza sacked by Salford

pbc373

Manager
Grezza plays a dull brand of football, that was one of the reasons he was potted along with the fact they probably have the biggest budget in the division.

Worth mentioning Tranmere were massively depleted on Saturday and tried to get the game called off.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Grezza plays a dull brand of football, that was one of the reasons he was potted along with the fact they probably have the biggest budget in the division.

Worth mentioning Tranmere were massively depleted on Saturday and tried to get the game called off.
Salford were 2-0 up with 3 minutes left... I wonder if they would have sacked him if they had gone on to win that game ?

It feels like the writing was already on the wall - for goodness sake they are 4th in the league !

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Not a fan of Alexander as a manager but seems to have been very harshly treated here.
I think the Salford owners believe with the money they've spent they should be tik a takking their way to 3/4 goal victories every week. League 2 is a tough old league.
Be interesting to see who they bring in next (if not Scholes or Warren Joyce).

Lairdinho

Manager
Salford were 2-0 up with 3 minutes left... I wonder if they would have sacked him if they had gone on to win that game ?

It feels like the writing was already on the wall - for goodness sake they are 4th in the league !

From what I've heard from someone who's well connected with Salford, it seems like they were looking for any reason to sack him since before the season started!

And with Roy Keane being at the last few home games, I can see him being in charge soon. Be awkward for the Class of 92 though if he goes on a bad run...

baysidepne

Manager
He seems to have been consistently maligned throughout his footballing career. With the guilty often regretting their decisions down the line.

I think @pbc373 hits the nail on the head here.

Grezza as much as a lovely guy and decent coach that he is, has had three teams in Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford where he's achieved relative success with promotions with Fleetwood and Salford but the football has been dour at times to say the least.

With ambitious owners at Fleetwood and Salford who have an ideology of attractive football to match their equally attractive budgets, Grezza has clearly "done a job" with both to get them where they needed to be but can he push these relatively small clubs onto the next level remains to be seen as he's just not given the chance to finish a job.

It's a shame to see him lose his job but sadly, that's football in the modern day. Ruthless, no time for sentiment and tunnel-visioned to achieve results regardless of the direction the moral compass may point.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Noticed they'd bottled a two goal lead in the last few minutes at the weekend. Failing to hold on to leads dogged him a bit at Scunthorpe too.

Problem is at Salford is it's basically a lose-lose if you're a manager. If you're top of the league then it's because you have the biggest budget and the most ambitious owners, and you should be there. If you aren't, even if you're doing okay like Alexander, then you're underperforming and therefore must go.

I was watching the highlights on Quest and I have no idea how often Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Scholes attend the games but when I saw them sat there having a chat with Chris Casper it did cross my mind something might happen this week...

How is it Keane can attend btw?

I think @pbc373 hits the nail on the head here.

Grezza as much as a lovely guy and decent coach that he is, has had three teams in Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford where he's achieved relative success with promotions with Fleetwood and Salford but the football has been dour at times to say the least.

With ambitious owners at Fleetwood and Salford who have an ideology of attractive football to match their equally attractive budgets, Grezza has clearly "done a job" with both to get them where they needed to be but can he push these relatively small clubs onto the next level remains to be seen as he's just not given the chance to finish a job.

It's a shame to see him lose his job but sadly, that's football in the modern day. Ruthless, no time for sentiment and tunnel-visioned to achieve results regardless of the direction the moral compass may point.

Gary Neville did say that they've had to take unpopular / controversial decisions

They sacked Mickey Mellon at Fleetwood , their view was though that they'd got into the Football League ; he should have done better - given their budget

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
ALEXANDER OUTLINES SALFORD DISAPPOINTMENT

Graham Alexander
has launched a defence of his record at Salford following his sacking this week.

Alexander was replaced on an interim basis by co-owner Paul Scholes following a 2-2 draw with Tranmere last weekend, a result that left the club fifth in Sky Bet League Two and with an unbeaten start to the campaign.

Now the 49-year-old has issued a statement via the League Managers Association, thanking the club for the opportunity but also making a point to lay out his achievements at Moor Lane.

“In our one full season, we became the only team to be promoted at the first attempt into the Football League with a record win for a final on that momentous day at Wembley, a day I will never forget,” he wrote.

“Since mid-January, we made changes to the squad to improve our chances of another promotion. Since then, the 15 games we’ve played in League Two have seen us win the second most points, with the second best defence, have the least defeats, whilst also being the highest scorers.

"In our last nine league games, five wins and three draws gave us an average of two points per game, which we know gives you a title winning total over a season. It has been a great effort from the everyone at the club.

“I am disappointed we have left after only five league games this season, without having the chance to continue that form with a squad that’s still in its infancy as a group. But we move on, satisfied that we’ve left the club with a brilliant set of players and staff that will go onto achieve the success that everyone craves.”