Grounds for Discussion

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
For anyone interested in Old and forgotten football grounds and in some cases, forgotten clubs. I've been writing a few articles for the Bamber Bridge FC Match Programmes. I've put the ones I've done so far in a blog, that can be read on the link below. Some interesting photo's and snippets of information, even if i do say so myself !! grounds and clubs covered so far include, Workington, Barrow, Bradford PA, Southport, Accy Stanley, South Shields and Gateshead.

https://bamberbridge.home.blog/

europne

Manager
For anyone interested in Old and forgotten football grounds and in some cases, forgotten clubs. I've been writing a few articles for the Bamber Bridge FC Match Programmes. I've put the ones I've done so far in a blog, that can be read on the link below. Some interesting photo's and snippets of information, even if i do say so myself !! grounds and clubs covered so far include, Workington, Barrow, Bradford PA, Southport, Accy Stanley, South Shields and Gateshead.

Shitpool And Gloomfield Road?

wld

First Team

Interesting reading, thank you.

I used to read the books by Simon Inglis on football grounds from cover to cover. Sadly there have been no new editions for many years.

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
Interesting reading, thank you.

I used to read the books by Simon Inglis on football grounds from cover to cover. Sadly there have been no new editions for many years.
I had the Simon Inglis grounds guides as well. Great books and probably what got me interested in old Football Stadiums. . It was just earlier this season I went to Workington to watch Brig. Pretty much everyone else said "what a dump", I was blown away. The ground had bags of character and just felt like a proper football ground. The programme editor for Brig asked me to write an article about it. I did, enjoyed it and decided to look at some of the old ground and old clubs of the past. I'm currently looking at Great Harwood FC and South Liverpool for the next article.

wld

First Team
I had the Simon Inglis grounds guides as well. Great books and probably what got me interested in old Football Stadiums. . It was just earlier this season I went to Workington to watch Brig. Pretty much everyone else said "what a dump", I was blown away. The ground had bags of character and just felt like a proper football ground. The programme editor for Brig asked me to write an article about it. I did, enjoyed it and decided to look at some of the old ground and old clubs of the past. I'm currently looking at Great Harwood FC and South Liverpool for the next article.
The next time my son goes and does commentary at Irongate I’ll get him to look out for a copy.

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron

Really enjoyed reading that,

Well done!

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Excellent, excellent read. Thank you; I enjoyed that very much.

I reckon Gateshead were voted out mainly because Peterborough had repeatedly destroyed the Midland League. From 1955 they went on a run of five consecutive championships, scoring more than 100 goals in each campaign. Repeated attempts at election to the Football League failed – albeit narrowly in 1958–59 – until they finally gained admission to the Fourth Division in 1960 at the expense of Gateshead. They also had a very strong run in the FA Cup in 1959-1960 - lost in the fourth round at Sheffield Wednesday. The momentum continued into the new Football League season: in second place with Christmas approaching, Peterborough did not lose again until the following April. They won the Fourth Division title, scoring what remains a Football League record 134 goals. Terry Bly supplied 52 of those 134 – not a league record, but a seasonal total which has not been surpassed since.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Enjoyed that, HC - many years ago, my dad used to take me to Holker Street to watch Barrow. I was very small and don't remember too much about it (apart from a bonfire night display and a vague recollection of the ASDA nearby), so it was really nice to read about it.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Enjoyed that, HC - many years ago, my dad used to take me to Holker Street to watch Barrow. I was very small and don't remember too much about it (apart from a bonfire night display and a vague recollection of the ASDA nearby), so it was really nice to read about it.
Went to Holker Street twice (Rotherham and Tranmere) in the early 70s, the last season in Division 3 I think. Lost both :)!

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Went to Holker Street twice (Rotherham and Tranmere) in the early 70s, the last season in Division 3 I think. Lost both :)!
A bit before my time - this would have been mid-70s, but I was only 2 - 3 years old. Just have a few vague memories!

BeteNoir

First Team
That's a really decent read, a lot of research time and effort gone into it. i've only got down past Haig Avenue at the moment, i was on there in the early to mid 60s when they had a cracking team, Blain and Blore knocking in goals for fun.