PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Guitars

Guinness

Hates lashers!
Patron
Fartpants train thread got me thinking about hobbys, anyone else give guitar a dabble?

I started playing electric guitar about 7 months ago, never touched one in my life before then but always wanted to give it a go.

I said I'd go on it at least a hour a night but these days I easy spend more than that on it. Think I'm making pretty good progress with it at the moment...

Anyone else play?

I play a bit. I'm not very good considering I have been playing on and off for about 30 years. I tend to just get drunk and post videos of me playing on my instagram

An hour a night is pretty dedicated mate. I always wanted to learn guitar but couldn't give it the dedication it probably needs.

I did play, but haven't really touched the guitar since my band (see my avatar) split in 2012. I bought a 2nd hand guitar here in Oz in 2015, tried to play some of our old songs, and couldn't remember anything, so got pissed off. Literally just sold the thing 2 days ago after it sat in the corner of the room unused for yonks.

Fartpants train thread got me thinking about hobbys, anyone else give guitar a dabble?

I started playing electric guitar about 7 months ago, never touched one in my life before then but always wanted to give it a go.

I said I'd go on it at least a hour a night but these days I easy spend more than that on it. Think I'm making pretty good progress with it at the moment...

Anyone else play?
I had a go about a year ago but got disheartened as I wasn't improving enough so stopped :eek:.. I want to be able to do this :)

I did play, but haven't really touched the guitar since my band (see my avatar) split in 2012. I bought a 2nd hand guitar here in Oz in 2015, tried to play some of our old songs, and couldn't remember anything, so got pissed off. Literally just sold the thing 2 days ago after it sat in the corner of the room unused for yonks.
Just need to get your fingers used to it again. I just muck about with stuff like Leonard Cohen and Elliott Smith covers, basic 3 chord stuff on a little acoustic

Just need to get your fingers used to it again. I just muck about with stuff like Leonard Cohen and Elliott Smith covers, basic 3 chord stuff on a little acoustic
Yeah, I might get an acoustic at some point over here. Still have my lovely strat back in Preston stashed at me mum's.

I had a go about a year ago but got disheartened as I wasn't improving enough so stopped :eek:.. I want to be able to do this :)

What was you struggling on when you stopped?

I'm starting to wander into giving solos a go, only the easier ones, which I'm finding frustrating.

I'm starting to wander into giving solos a go, only the easier ones, which I'm finding frustrating.
First solo (and only solo!) I learned was Smells Like Teen Spirit. Good place to start

I was only playing for a few days, I watched tutorials on YouTube n was going to pay for a course(the guy deserves the subs because he puts out loads of free guitar lesson content) but I ended up packing it in. Haven't got the coordination and my fingers we're getting these weird cramps lol. Good thing to learn tho is the guitar, acoustic is aswel as electric.. do you play both ? Ben Howard is class on acoustic

I was only playing for a few days, I watched tutorials on YouTube n was going to pay for a course(the guy deserves the subs because he puts out loads of free guitar lesson content) but I ended up packing it in. Haven't got the coordination and my fingers we're getting these weird cramps lol. Good thing to learn tho is the guitar, acoustic is aswel as electric.. do you play both ? Ben Howard is class on acoustic

Takes weeks to get used to, fingers aren't used to going into those positions. Took me like two weeks to do a D chord smoothly when I first started. 🤣

Should pick it back up and give yourself a month, think you'll be surprised how you start to pick things up.

I have a acoustic aswell, only bought it about a month ago wanted something I could just pick up in lounge. Mostly just mess around on that though, Johnny cash walk the line over and over again 🤣

I've played for around thirty years.

Learning to play and get to sounding half decent is a real chore but eventually it becomes more natural and your fingers get less sore!

My advice to any beginner is to take lessons. I wish I'd have done that. It took me three years to learn stuff that would have taken me six months with tuition.

Get a handful of chords learned (ACGDE) and you'll be surprised at just how many different sounding tunes you can come up with!

It's my favourite pastime when I'm not watching the Nobbers.

Enjoy!

I've played for around thirty years.

Learning to play and get to sounding half decent is a real chore but eventually it becomes more natural and your fingers get less sore!

My advice to any beginner is to take lessons. I wish I'd have done that. It took me three years to learn stuff that would have taken me six months with tuition.

Get a handful of chords learned (ACGDE) and you'll be surprised at just how many different sounding tunes you can come up with!

It's my favourite pastime when I'm not watching the Nobbers.

Enjoy!
Further to this if you plan on singing along invest in a capo. Literally the easiest way to find the right key for your own voice (my capo lives on the 4th fret)