PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Happy Left Handers Day

Evening all, please could the experts on leftiness and guitaring give us some advice.

I'm not qualified on either matter but our daughter is starting guitar lessons at primary school when she goes back. We've just been notified that the guitar she is borrowing is ready to collect and Ive just realised I haven't a clue if she should be taught to play left or righthanded?

She's definitely not ambidextrous and I haven't a clue what might be best.

Any help please? Ta.

Here's my view on it having played guitar in the past. The last string on a guitar is better suited for the pinky finger, while the first three strings are thicker than the last three. You probably want more dominant fingers to be used for those first three strings, especially when strumming a chord, so getting a left handed guitar would be better. She'll just be mirroring what her tutor does.

That's a great explanation, thankyou.

Next daft question then if you please - the guitar is a council one and we might not be able to get a lefty, could we get it restrung so the strings are the other way up?

Evening all, please could the experts on leftiness and guitaring give us some advice.

I'm not qualified on either matter but our daughter is starting guitar lessons at primary school when she goes back. We've just been notified that the guitar she is borrowing is ready to collect and Ive just realised I haven't a clue if she should be taught to play left or righthanded?

She's definitely not ambidextrous and I haven't a clue what might be best.

Any help please? Ta.

Here's my view on it having played guitar in the past. The last string on a guitar is better suited for the pinky finger, while the first three strings are thicker than the last three. You probably want more dominant fingers to be used for those first three strings, especially when strumming a chord, so getting a left handed guitar would be better. She'll just be mirroring what her tutor does.

My view, as a lefty who played guitar at school is different. I learned on a right handed guitar which was no real problem as I didn't know anything else. I'm not ambidextrous but I do some stuff right-handed. I wouldn't think it a bad thing for a kid to be able to use both hands more equally.

Also, do you know that your daughter will like the guitar or will continue it? She's only at primary school so is there a real need for her to own a guitar at this stage, especially if she is being offered one to borrow? It might be that she's absolutely fine or it might be that if she's not, then the guitar teacher would suggest switching to left handed......obviously at a cost.

My view, as a lefty who played guitar at school is different. I learned on a right handed guitar which was no real problem as I didn't know anything else. I'm not ambidextrous but I do some stuff right-handed. I wouldn't think it a bad thing for a kid to be able to use both hands more equally.

Also, do you know that your daughter will like the guitar or will continue it? She's only at primary school so is there a real need for her to own a guitar at this stage, especially if she is being offered one to borrow? It might be that she's absolutely fine or it might be that if she's not, then the guitar teacher would suggest switching to left handed......obviously at a cost.
Son is a massive left handed
Like you has learned through mirror image so plays a right handed guitar no problem

That's a great explanation, thankyou.

Next daft question then if you please - the guitar is a council one and we might not be able to get a lefty, could we get it restrung so the strings are the other way up?

I seem to remember restringing involving more than just putting the strings on back to front so to speak, it might involve tampering with the neck of the guitar etc. I never had to do it as I just bought left handed ones, someone else might correct me. Not sure if that's advisable if it's a borrowed guitar if it is the case, although a professional might do it fine.

Fair enough, thanks all for your inputs. We will ask when we pick it up if a left hander is an option and then leave it to the music teacher after that.

Buying one was never an option, there is a decent bloke round the corner who fettles guitars and if turning it upside down might have worked then it'd have been nice to ask him to have a look at it.

I just didn't want her to struggle at something because of my ignorance, sounds like it shouldnt be a problem. Much appreciated.