Happy VE Day

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
Which is sad.... those blokes gave their lives for this country and now no-one in your street felt it necessary to respect what they did

in 25 years time it will all be consigned to history....
If by that you mean consigned to history books and mostly forgotten, I doubt it, After all, WW I is still remembered.

jamesOB

Advisor to the Owner
Which is sad.... those blokes gave their lives for this country and now no-one in your street felt it necessary to respect what they did

in 25 years time it will all be consigned to history....
Gonna play devil advocate here, but it could be partly because VE Day isn’t really celebrated yearly, so some people won’t be aware of it, especially with everything going on

November 11th is still celebrated impeccably year on year, which implies people do still care

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Gonna play devil advocate here, but it could be partly because VE Day isn’t really celebrated yearly, so some people won’t be aware of it, especially with everything going on

November 11th is still celebrated impeccably year on year, which implies people do still care
Got to admit that's the one I care about.

OP
LancasterRed

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
And 75 years, while a major milestone, won't hold a candle to what we'll see for the 100th anniversary

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
As I said earlier, I wasn’t hugely gripped by VE fever but I wanted to remember and also be respectful. Anyway we had a social distancing ‘party’ of sorts in the street which ran from 2pm until about 9.30. About 12 families joined in at various times.
It was bloody great!

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
Just come in from our “street ‘ social distancing party. Every house made the effort. Union jacks and bunting. We did the lot. 2 minutes silence at 11am. Party started at 4pm. Paused for queens speech broadcast over someone’s Bluetooth speaker at 9 then we all sang we'll meet again. Followed by 2 metre disco. It’s still going on out there.

PolybiusPNE

Youth Team
Plenty of people having a good time where I live. Bunting, music and Union Flags aplenty. It was nice to say 'hello' to everyone :)

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron

Very good point

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
What did folk make of yesterday's VE Day celebrations? In my street, nothing at all went on. But as we went for our walk, one street was very nicely celebrating - people with chairs out and barbecues at the end of their own gardens, WW2 style music at reasonable volume, social distancing with neighbours being maintained. The next street, chavs blaring out music singing karaoke, pissed up, kids and adults in and out of each other's gardens, chairs on pavements so you had to walk down the middle of the road to avoid them. Folk who probably had no idea what VE Day actually was, and showing they can't do for six weeks what some folk had to do for six years.

cpnend

Manager
You’re possibly right, although I’m sure the Germans are. The word contribution just confuses the issue, does it include materiel for instance. Clearly the pollsters didn’t intend it to but I just think it’s badly worded.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
You’re possibly right, although I’m sure the Germans are. The word contribution just confuses the issue, does it include materiel for instance. Clearly the pollsters didn’t intend it to but I just think it’s badly worded.
I agree it's not a very helpful way to phrase the question. There are some excellent books on the war in the east

John T

Advisor to the Owner
Might just have a quiet weekend at home
That's the ticket

Get down in your lounger on the back lawn with a can of beer
What’s that slogan again? Oh yes

STAY AT HOME PROTECT THE NHS SAVE LIFE’S

Right up your street raefil

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
That's the ticket

Get down in your lounger on the back lawn with a can of beer
What’s that slogan again? Oh yes

STAY AT HOME PROTECT THE NHS SAVE LIFE’S

Right up your street raefil
Can of Beer?

How uncouth. My Garden isnt full of the great unwashed that visit St Annes you know.