PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Happy VE Day

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Haven't seen a thread for this yet, so here's one.

75 years since we won the war in Europe - obviously well before my, if not everyone on here's time.

What are you doing to celebrate today? I'm not doing too much past hanging some bunting but it'd be interesting to see what you're all doing.

🇬🇧🇬🇧

I’ve no plans other than sitting at the end of my drive with a beer and chatting to the neighbours across the road and on either side. I think we should remember the sacrifices made and the evil overcome but if I’m honest I’m resistant to being pushed along with this by the BBC.

Not doing much, to be honest - it's not really celebrated here.

That said, the missus is enjoying the interviews with the veterans on BBC, and I watched some WWII documentaries on Youtube when feeding the cats, although I do that every day at the moment!

stood outside my office this morning at 11, and there was not one other person remembering this moment, the main road was rammed with cars with 1,2,3,4 and more inside, wagons, vans and cyclists mixing with the walkers and jakeys, a fuckin disgrace,

Well I stood on my street. Didn’t hear anything but loud birdsong ( so disrespectful). Only 3 other households visibly out (out of maybe 20 in view) - which I thought had been generally agreed here. But a good few flags out.

No flags here and have to say nobody went outside either. Quite a contrast from last night when virtually every household was on the street banging pans, blowing trumpets and cheering and applauding.

Haven't seen a thread for this yet, so here's one.

75 years since we won the war in Europe - obviously well before my, if not everyone on here's time.

What are you doing to celebrate today? I'm not doing too much past hanging some bunting but it'd be interesting to see what you're all doing.

🇬🇧🇬🇧
I'm not entirely clear who the "we" is that won victory in Europe

A few people, including me, out @11 in my road

Its worth remembering that it wasnt the Germans that were defeated, in the war but the nazis with the tyranny they inflicted on their own people as well as others.

Its worth remembering that it wasnt the Germans that were defeated, in the war but the nazis with the tyranny they inflicted on their own people as well as others.

Quite. The first country the Nazis invaded was their own

And, sadly, for many countries, this day wasn't an end but a beginning.

No flags here and have to say nobody went outside either. Quite a contrast from last night when virtually every household was on the street banging pans, blowing trumpets and cheering and applauding.
Which is sad.... those blokes gave their lives for this country and now no-one in your street felt it necessary to respect what they did

in 25 years time it will all be consigned to history....

For what it’s worth... our street was almost deserted as well....

yesterdays news I guess

stood outside my office this morning at 11, and there was not one other person remembering this moment, the main road was rammed with cars with 1,2,3,4 and more inside, wagons, vans and cyclists mixing with the walkers and jakeys, a fuckin disgrace,
That’s a bit harsh, why was it a disgrace? Remember, it was the Nazis who were forced to conform and celebrate on Hitler’s command. We live in a free country, so each to his own.

For what it’s worth... our street was almost deserted as well....

yesterdays news I guess
Couldn't have come at a worse time really. I guess theres many people fighting their own battles right now.