PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Harry and Meghan

I thought I would dip in and see if this non-story about a race-baiting African heritage woman, with a history of claiming racism in the Royal Family, making out an 83 year old woman was being racist for asking a few questions about her heritage, while she was dressed in African style clothing, had made it to the forum.
I am not disappointed and I'm not surprised it's the usual bellends that are being taken in by it and believing it without question.

Well I’m going to give it a different angle.

I’ve listened to this dreadful racism thing reported on the news ..... what a load of bollocks..... it’s completely OTT.

Many black people are proud of their family heritage and culture and roots and want to talk and celebrate it, but this woman it would appear isn’t.

Obviously questions were asked in a not PC way, I’m positive nothing derogatory was intended, other people may have responded in a more forgiving and understanding way and happy to talk about their families origins. I love talking about my family history, most people do.

Huge stepforwards have been made in this country in the last 70 years or so, how old is this lady, 83? Give her a bit of leeway ffs. She comes from a time after the war when having defeated invaders to many it seemed like this country was being invaded again, easy to be all PC now, but people shouldn’t underestimate those feelings at that time. Maybe she shouldn’t be involved in stuff like that reception, maybe she should have been briefed, maybe she’s got a medical condition, maybe someone is enjoying the publicity and fame.

Storm in a tea cup.
Exactly. In this day and age of pathetic identity politics, it's usually the first thing some people shout about.

Well I’m going to give it a different angle.

I’ve listened to this dreadful racism thing reported on the news ..... what a load of bollocks..... it’s completely OTT.

Many black people are proud of their family heritage and culture and roots and want to talk and celebrate it, but this woman it would appear isn’t.

Obviously questions were asked in a not PC way, I’m positive nothing derogatory was intended, other people may have responded in a more forgiving and understanding way and happy to talk about their families origins. I love talking about my family history, most people do.

Huge stepforwards have been made in this country in the last 70 years or so, how old is this lady, 83? Give her a bit of leeway ffs. She comes from a time after the war when having defeated invaders to many it seemed like this country was being invaded again, easy to be all PC now, but people shouldn’t underestimate those feelings at that time. Maybe she shouldn’t be involved in stuff like that reception, maybe she should have been briefed, maybe she’s got a medical condition, maybe someone is enjoying the publicity and fame.

Storm in a tea cup.
Amazingly I agree with this.

The whole conversation could have been cut out by just a simple “I am from Uk but my heritage is ……….. To me the complainant was looking for something to complain about. The enquiring lady perhaps should have asked about heritage rather than nationality but she is 80 odd years old and it does become harder to be eloquent as you get older. I have no doubt she was looking to converse rather than insult. I have forgotten words and expressed myself very badly at times. The elderly lady is obviously very upset so obviously she meant absolutely no offence. Its going to get to the stage no one will approach a person of colour for fear of causing offence or being accused of being a racist. I never want this to happen so perhaps understanding and maybe explain to the old lady she was offended rather than running straight to the media. Talk more to each other and sensationalise less is the answer.

Amazingly I agree with this.

The whole conversation could have been cut out by just a simple “I am from Uk but my heritage is ……….. To me the complainant was looking for something to complain about. The enquiring lady perhaps should have asked about heritage rather than nationality but she is 80 odd years old and it does become harder to be eloquent as you get older. I have no doubt she was looking to converse rather than insult. I have forgotten words and expressed myself very badly at times. The elderly lady is obviously very upset so obviously she meant absolutely no offence. Its going to get to the stage no one will approach a person of colour for fear of causing offence or being accused of being a racist. I never want this to happen so perhaps understanding and maybe explain to the old lady she was offended rather than running straight to the media. Talk more to each other and sensationalise less is the answer.
I said a similar thing Joan… the question could have been asked differently.

It would be interesting to know if the complainant ever celebrates the fact that she is of African descent , when she clearly wants to be known only as a Londoner…..

It would be interesting to know if the complainant ever celebrates the fact that she is of African descent , when she clearly wants to be known only as a Londoner…..
If not she is guilty of cultural appropriation of African dress and hairstyles and the massive racist should apologise.

I probably already mentioned it, but during a week where my son's school learnt about African culture and so on, the school informed the parents and encouraged the kids to come in colourful or African attire. The email was concluded with a sentence to the effect of:

'please be aware this is not cultural appropriation'.

You know, just in case some white woman on Twitter with a self-cut pink mullet and a trillion self-labels got offended that primary school kids were learning about Africa.

Must admit, I did cringe when I heard it - and I can understand why the lady involved was offended by it.

That said, do we really need the media analysis with various talking heads going on about colonialism and diving deep into race theory? IMO, this is now becoming politicised and a stick to beat the royal family with so the media circus continues. An old lady said something inappropriate, apologised, and resigned - hounding her isn't going to achieve anything else.

So if a man with Scottish parents born and living in Devon gets invited to a do at Buckingham Palace and wears a kilt and stuff and is asked what part of Scotland do you come from does that qualify as a racist insult?

I have quite a foreign looking surname, I regularly get asked where I'm from. I'm usually disappointed that I've not got a better back story when I just say "born and bred in Preston."
I've never been offended by the question as I've been used to being asked since I was at school. I've always thought it was nice that people took an interest.

It's exactly this sort of none story that sees people who for example have a disability end up feeling that people don't speak to them or pretend they aren't there. It's a fear of saying the wrong thing promoted by absolute idiots.

I probably already mentioned it, but during a week where my son's school learnt about African culture and so on, the school informed the parents and encouraged the kids to come in colourful or African attire. The email was concluded with a sentence to the effect of:

'please be aware this is not cultural appropriation'.

You know, just in case some white woman on Twitter with a self-cut pink mullet and a trillion self-labels got offended that primary school kids were learning about Africa.
Hate the whole cultural appropriation thing - there might be a few cases where it is happening, but most of the accusations are bollocks. Sharing culture is a wonderful thing and how we learn about each other and become more tolerant.

I’ve just read some of the media stuff she put out and without her having made a recording it’s an amazingly detailed account.........she’s got quite a memory..... although she says the rest of the evening is then a blur......

Hate the whole cultural appropriation thing - there might be a few cases where it is happening, but most of the accusations are bollocks. Sharing culture is a wonderful thing and how we learn about each other and become more tolerant.
Me too. I always say I come from a working class background, grew up in a council house with my grandparents and some of my siblings, had to leave school at 16 to help my Nan whether I wanted to or not. I’m proud of all the above and even though geographically I only finished living half a mile away from where I started, it’s a million miles away in other ways. I am happy to tell anyone that wants to know and I wouldn’t feel the need to question why they wanted to know either.

As being Asian, I often get asked where I am from often as a starter to a conversation. I haven't ever seen it as offensive - I find it nice that people are interested in me. I am Preston born and bread but my heritage is from India. It often leads to a conversation of understanding of different cultures and learning about one's another way of life which I have often found very illuminating.

I find it a bit sad that such a innocent question is blown out of proportion like this.

Me too. I always say I come from a working class background, grew up in a council house with my grandparents and some of my siblings, had to leave school at 16 to help my Nan whether I wanted to or not. I’m proud of all the above and even though geographically I only finished living half a mile away from where I started, it’s a million miles away in other ways. I am happy to tell anyone that wants to know and I wouldn’t feel the need to question why they wanted to know either.
It bemuses most people, I suspect. Most Greeks would be delighted if British kids were learning about their culture at school!