PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Has to be asked ?

Hitch 22

Patron
I hope everyone is staying safe and in good health. I read a few days ago that say if the season is postponed until August Burnley and lots of other clubs will be in real trouble financially. Thing is could it be good news for PNE as Hemmings has never really spent more than we can afford and we will likely be financially fine. So despite this horror show and tragedy no football us as a club could potentially benefit from others financial ruin?

Burnley would be in massive financial difficulties if and it's a big if they don't finish the season and get the payment based on there league finishing position . It's worth something like an additional 5M per each position so Norwich get an extra 5M and Liverpool an additional 100M . Burnley are looking at finishing 13th so would get another 40 million . A further 10 Million is from televised games and share of TV r3venue plus other things and home games . If all of that doesn't get paid then yes they are in trouble but it is very unlikely as all clubs would be fuxked in that scenario

I hope everyone is staying safe and in good health. I read a few days ago that say if the season is postponed until August Burnley and lots of other clubs will be in real trouble financially. Thing is could it be good news for PNE as Hemmings has never really spent more than we can afford and we will likely be financially fine. So despite this horror show and tragedy no football us as a club could potentially benefit from others financial ruin?

I think it's shameful hoping to profit from others demise.

Would Burnley be in that much trouble with their Premiership millions?
I read somewhere that Burnley, and a few other clubs, could be in deep shit very soon. Those millions very quickly disappear once you get to the premier league, as my Hudds supporting mate keeps telling me. All this 'if we go up then come straight back down, at least we'll still have millions' is nonsense apparently. It's an expensive gig being in the premier league.

Burnley would be in massive financial difficulties if and it's a big if they don't finish the season and get the payment based on there league finishing position . It's worth something like an additional 5M per each position so Norwich get an extra 5M and Liverpool an additional 100M . Burnley are looking at finishing 13th so would get another 40 million . A further 10 Million is from televised games and share of TV r3venue plus other things and home games . If all of that doesn't get paid then yes they are in trouble but it is very unlikely as all clubs would be fuxked in that scenario

Surely though Burnley would be able to take out loans and come to agreements in delaying paying creditors as they have millions coming in, they just don't know when in the next 12 months it will be paid. All premier league teams will get through this because the gravy train will re-start.

It's the lower league clubs that will really struggle. They haven't got millions waiting to be paid to them and any loans taken out will eat into future budgets to a much greater degree. Also, we don't know what impact social distancing will have on the general population going forward. There might be a fair percentage of people who will look to avoid events such as football because it will involve spending 2 hours in close proximity of virtual strangers and therefore increase your risk of catching something like Covid-19. A reduction on attendances of 20% in the lower leagues could be the final tipping point for some clubs.

Two or three maybe I'd have thought.
I know that football is not a priority at the moment, but I do think that when all the dust settles on this situation we will be lucky if 50 clubs survive .....

you are probably right Hodgey, 3 divisions maximum...

I know that football is not a priority at the moment, but I do think that when all the dust settles on this situation we will be lucky if 50 clubs survive .....

and possibly going back to regionalisation - north and south.

and possibly going back to regionalisation - north and south.
I nearly posted that as well Harry...

One top division containing 20 teams and then a north and south division with 15 in each ...

The top side from each of the north and south to be promoted to the top division and two teams to drop out ...

We may be better placed than a lot of other clubs but wide spread damage, especially to EFL clubs ( The Prem needs a wake up call anyway) will harm everyone, including us. At least in our case the problems shouldn't be existential.

many will go in to administration , I agree, but there will be life for most of them on the other side.

The interesting thing will be whether the FA / EFL do what they did to other clubs when it’s a Derby, Forest,West Ham Etc that goes in to admin.

We may be better placed than a lot of other clubs but wide spread damage, especially to EFL clubs ( The Prem needs a wake up call anyway) will harm everyone, including us. At least in our case the problems shouldn't be existential.

They might be if old Trev succumbs to the virus. All those Hemmings outers will get their way, and it might not be pretty.

Id take no pleasure whatever if PNE were to benefit because of another clubs downfall.

Barkhuizen, Simpson, Browne, Maguire...

It's good when we help other clubs and get a fair deal out of it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but also accept that football is a cut-throat industry and it might come to the point where we need to be taking advantage in order to take massive steps ourselves.