PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Head versus heart

Staffordwhite

Scribe to the Gods
Patron
It’s a case of head versus heart at the moment with North End fans.

Call it Generation X versus Generation ‘xG’.

Those who see football as some form of science, who thrill about stats and Match of the Day analysis think Alex Neil is doing a great job.

Those who go with their heart and think it should be about passion, pride, entertainment and excitement tend to think the opposite.

I understand why the modern football fan often leans to the former; the game is more sterile now than it’s ever been (on and off the pitch). This is going to sound patronising I know, but it’s kind of all they’ve ever known and part of me genuinely feels sorry for them.

For me, if you’re more concerned about dissecting performances like some student dissertation, you’re missing the point.

It’s like when you were a kid in science and the geeks would thrill about the workings of a dead frog, splayed out in the lab: ‘Look at the optimal expected thrust generated by the muscle percentage from those back legs!’ 🤓

Personally, I’d rather the frog was still alive and could jump up and make a run (hop!) for it to great cheers from the class: ‘Go on Froggie lad!!’ 😅

Less educational, but far more entertaining.

I don’t know how the game itself (not just North End) brings these two factions together but unless it can, the long-term future looks bleak.

There have been so many mis-steps and mistakes in recent years, it’s never been easier to fall out of love with a sport that some of us barely recognise these days.

It’s a funny thing, but the more I hear that annoyingly smug catch-all soundbite ‘the game has moved on’ the more I feel it’s left something behind. 😔

Those who see football as some form of science, who thrill about stats and Match of the Day analysis think Alex Neil is doing a great job.

Those who go with their heart and think it should be about passion, pride, entertainment and excitement tend to think the opposite.

I understand why the modern football fan often leans to the former; the game is more sterile now than it’s ever been (on and off the pitch). This is going to sound patronising I know, but it’s kind of all they’ve ever known and part of me genuinely feels sorry for them.

For me, if you’re more concerned about dissecting performances like some student dissertation, you’re missing the point.

It’s like when you were a kid in science and the geeks would thrill about the workings of a dead frog, splayed out in the lab: ‘Look at the optimal expected thrust generated by the muscle percentage from those back legs!’ 🤓

Personally, I’d rather the frog was still alive and could jump up and make a run (hop!) for it to great cheers from the class: ‘Go on Froggie lad!!’ 😅

I don’t know how the game itself (not just North End) brings these two factions together but unless it can, the long-term future looks bleak.

There have been so many mis-steps and mistakes in recent years, it’s never been easier to fall out of love with a sport that some of us barely recognise these days.

It’s a funny thing, but the more I hear that annoyingly smug catch-all soundbite ‘the game has moved on’ the more I feel it’s left something behind. 😔

Not just football, sport and society has moved on. Data and analysis plays such a huge part that if you take a ‘back of the fag packet approach’ you will be left behind.

I’m not an XG enthusiast but I can see its part in the game and helps people look at the bigger picture rather than 90 mins in isolation.

I like Neil because, despite constraints, a bizarre transfer policy, and the contract issues this season, we continue to be punching above our weight - and as long as we are mid-table, he isn’t going anywhere I’m afraid.

Bang on, watching North End just isn’t enjoyable, it’s something to get through and endure, a bit like a job interview in which you hope you get the right outcome.
Maybe it’s age but it didn’t feel like that in the 90s and early 00s. This isn’t unique to us though it’s football in general, over analysed especially with the introduction of VAR. I’ll persist though no matter as I want my little boy to have the football experiences I’ve had.

The over analysing of statistics don't bother me but being on Deepdale has never been the same since the old town end was demolished.

Sitting at football grounds doesn't feel natural so it is easy to blame the football itself if it is a shit game where as previously we would still just enjoy the carnival.

All you have to do is compare the atmosphere at all grounds for home or away fans - away fans tend to rebel and stand together which creates the atmosphere and enjoyment.

As for Neil - personally I rate him as a manager and doing fine given the squad at his disposal and the restricted budget he works under

Great post.

I love your reference of the frog. Brilliant and very true unfortunately. I do not enjoy football anymore☹️

Exactly Put

My username on here is what is because the first time I went to Deepdale, with my Man United supporting uncle, PNE beat United 4 - 1. I wasn't particularly interested in footall before that day but ever since I feel that those 3 initials have been stamped on my heart. As a newcomer to this forum I detect that what we all feel is intense frustration with our beloved club.

My username on here is what is because the first time I went to Deepdale, with my Man United supporting uncle, PNE beat United 4 - 1. I wasn't particularly interested in footall before that day but ever since I feel that those 3 initials have been stamped on my heart. As a newcomer to this forum I detect that what we all feel is intense frustration with our beloved club.
Spot on Utd..... Frustration it is and we all fall out and bicker with each other because of it :(:(

Paint-by-numbers has its place in the Art world, but there never has been nor ever will be a paint-by-numbers masterpiece.

I agree with Staff white, at the end of the day, it's a game of 11 aside & one team has to score more goals to win, it's as simple as that, the day SKY started treating football like show business & gambling firms saying that spot gambling on a match makes it more exciting, if you have to do that your not a true footy fan, I'm not against analysing games but look what VAR is doing to the game, next the game will be in 4 quarters, bring back the sheepskin coat & Motsy.

I couldn't give a fuck about stats & analysis, it bores me shitless. I just know we won't bring in a manager who will improve us when we will still have this group of players.

So yeah, I think the OP is bollocks.

It’s a fair point, very much depends on how you look at it.

Football’s been a game of trading ideas since the first formations came into the game. It’s a natural evolution to where we are today.

You could certainly argue it sucks the romance out of it. Or the Klopp and Pep fans would argue it brings a different type of romance - of grand ideas playing out in glory or unraveling at 3pm on a Saturday

As they always say though, the game can’t be played on paper. You still need motivated individuals & hard tacklers, clever passers etc! Don’t think the game will ever fully change in that regard.

The over analysing of statistics don't bother me but being on Deepdale has never been the same since the old town end was demolished.

Sitting at football grounds doesn't feel natural so it is easy to blame the football itself if it is a shit game where as previously we would still just enjoy the carnival.

All you have to do is compare the atmosphere at all grounds for home or away fans - away fans tend to rebel and stand together which creates the atmosphere and enjoyment.

As for Neil - personally I rate him as a manager and doing fine given the squad at his disposal and the restricted budget he works under
I agree,sitting as opposed to standing has changed the atmosphere at grounds but I'd also suggest the entire sport has changed,I remember going on and fans chanting "get stuck in.' 'Fuck em up!' Nowadays players wouldn't be able to do either,year on year the games becoming less of a contact sport,and for me less enjoyable

I agree,sitting as opposed to standing has changed the atmosphere at grounds but I'd also suggest the entire sport has changed,I remember going on and fans chanting "get stuck in.' 'Fuck em up!' Nowadays players wouldn't be able to do either,year on year the games becoming less of a contact sport,and for me less enjoyable

Remember singing to the referee:

Who's your father?
Who's your father?
Who's your father referee?
You haven't got one, never had one,
Your a bastard referee!

The good old days

It’s a natural evolution to where we are today.
Unfortunately as an appeal as an English national sport , the evolution has stalled and is in my opinion going backwards. How do the majority of fans feel about football being an affordable uplifting and entertaining sport, particularly in these extraordinary times.