PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Head versus heart

It’s a case of head versus heart at the moment with North End fans.

Call it Generation X versus Generation ‘xG’.

Those who see football as some form of science, who thrill about stats and Match of the Day analysis think Alex Neil is doing a great job.

Those who go with their heart and think it should be about passion, pride, entertainment and excitement tend to think the opposite.

I understand why the modern football fan often leans to the former; the game is more sterile now than it’s ever been (on and off the pitch). This is going to sound patronising I know, but it’s kind of all they’ve ever known and part of me genuinely feels sorry for them.

For me, if you’re more concerned about dissecting performances like some student dissertation, you’re missing the point.

It’s like when you were a kid in science and the geeks would thrill about the workings of a dead frog, splayed out in the lab: ‘Look at the optimal expected thrust generated by the muscle percentage from those back legs!’ 🤓

Personally, I’d rather the frog was still alive and could jump up and make a run (hop!) for it to great cheers from the class: ‘Go on Froggie lad!!’ 😅

Less educational, but far more entertaining.

I don’t know how the game itself (not just North End) brings these two factions together but unless it can, the long-term future looks bleak.

There have been so many mis-steps and mistakes in recent years, it’s never been easier to fall out of love with a sport that some of us barely recognise these days.

It’s a funny thing, but the more I hear that annoyingly smug catch-all soundbite ‘the game has moved on’ the more I feel it’s left something behind. 😔
Oh, superb post Staff, you've got it in one there buddy, the thrill I used to experience back in the 70's has all but evaporated, in fact the last time I got a real buzz at Deepdale was when Laird smashed that rocket in against United.
I never saw Finney play but my recollection of 'chippy' Clark going like a train down the wing and crossing for either Bruce or Elwiss to smash home gives me a warm glow...how i miss those exciting days.

Just having a look at North End Souls 2 again.

It helps explain the lack of character(s) and leadership in the game this days.

You’ve got Tony Ellis coming in to Oldham via non-league and Sunday football in Salford, Sav joining Hull straight from the factory (and earning less money) and BON getting digs in the stomach from the gaffer at Celtic.

O’Neil’s thoughts on the effectiveness (or otherwise... ) of the Academy system are particularly interesting and Kiddo’s recollections of some of his more robust challenges are very entertaining.

Essentially, what we’re now seeing, on the whole, is a bunch of soft, overpaid robots.

There’s some hope - the likes of Browne and Whiteman haven’t had it put on a plate for them - but we’re going to have to look very hard to find the missing piece which is a real leader in the Lucketti or Gregan mould.

My favourite contributions are from Eric Jones and Peter Higham though. Their memories of being at the club at the same time as Sir Tom and the Doc are fascinating, not to mention the extremely evocative images of kids cheering at the sight of German bombers being shot down over Liverpool!

You’ve got Tony Ellis coming in to Oldham via non-league and Sunday football in Salford, Sav joining Hull straight from the factory (and earning less money) and BON getting digs in the stomach from the gaffer at Celtic.

O’Neil’s thoughts on the effectiveness (or otherwise... ) of the Academy system are particularly interesting and Kiddo’s recollections of some of his more robust challenges are very entertaining.

Essentially, what we’re now seeing, on the whole, is a bunch of soft, overpaid robots.

There’s some hope - the likes of Browne and Whiteman haven’t had it put on a plate for them - but we’re going to have to look very hard to find the missing piece which is a real leader in the Lucketti or Gregan mould.

My favourite contributions are from Eric Jones and Peter Higham though. Their memories of being at the club at the same time as Sir Tom and the Doc are fascinating, not to mention the extremely evocative images of kids cheering at the sight of German bombers being shot down over Liverpool!

Cheers Justin - much appreciated. :)

While I like all the chapters in their own way, the ones from the older players stick out in my mind, just because they show how things have changed down the years. I spoke to a massive figure from North End's (and English football's) past this week and he was genuinely shocked that anyone remembered him. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

Anyway, if anyone's looking for something new to read (until NES3 comes out, obviously!), I highly recommend Lenny Johnrose's 'Finding a way'.

I'm not all the way through it yet, but his tale of growing up in 70s/80s Preston ain't half striking a chord. :)

Jamie Vardy, Andy Robertson...both have risen from obscurity and without pampering to be two of the best players in Europe, maybe the world’s best left-back in Robertson’s case. There’s character in abundance in current professional football.

The difference between the seemingly sudden revelation of, say, an Ian Wright and a Vardy is that, because of social media and increased media coverage in general, the exploits of Vardy are noticed way before he graces the big league. It’s much rarer for a player to arrive on the scene completely unheralded than it was 30 years ago.

Jamie Vardy, Andy Robertson...both have risen from obscurity and without pampering to be two of the best players in Europe, maybe the world’s best left-back in Robertson’s case. There’s character in abundance in current professional football.

The difference between the seemingly sudden revelation of, say, an Ian Wright and a Vardy is that, because of social media and increased media coverage in general, the exploits of Vardy are noticed way before he graces the big league. It’s much rarer for a player to arrive on the scene completely unheralded than it was 30 years ago.

Very true Pumba. 👍

Spoke to Ian Woan recently and he said Cloughie signed him for Forest after seeing a report on Ceefax that he was about to sign for Harry Redknapp’s Bournemouth from Runcorn. Cloughie knew Bournemouth had a reputation for signing good young players so he gazumped them over the phone.

‘Not only had he never seen me play, with no internet in those days, he couldn’t pick me out in a line-up.’

When Ian turned up at training, the manager didn’t have a clue who he was. 😅

Different, but glorious, times. 😊

My username on here is what is because the first time I went to Deepdale, with my Man United supporting uncle, PNE beat United 4 - 1. I wasn't particularly interested in footall before that day but ever since I feel that those 3 initials have been stamped on my heart. As a newcomer to this forum I detect that what we all feel is intense frustration with our beloved club.
Are you sure about the 4-1? According to the stats on here Head to head PNE v Man U PNE have never beaten Man U 4-1.

I think craig brown deserves a bit more credit. Ok no where near the best we've had but. He had an eye for a player

I don’t.

His interview on the podcast was quite good though.

He was asked if he regretted anything during his time at PNE. You could hear him scratching his head for about ten seconds before he talked about a game at Wolves when we surrendered a lead or something.

And then he said, “Oh yeah, I should never have gone to three at the back”.

So nothing major then.......

I think craig brown deserves a bit more credit. Ok no where near the best we've had but. He had an eye for a player
He was as hit and miss as any. Obviously Fuller, Mawene and Davis were amazing, but he also brought in Andy Smith, Simon Lynch and a host of old Scottish crocks.