PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Head versus heart

Old fogie here, sick of the over analizing the opposition. You see subs standing on the touchline for several mins getting tech instructions. You see players arriving at the club with some flair and potential then it's taken away to be replaced by rigid positioning. It's a game of football and I want to be entertained, hopefully see a win not this safety first, stop the opposition playing as a priority. Let the buggers worry about us instead.

Old fogie here, sick of the over analizing the opposition. You see subs standing on the touchline for several mins getting tech instructions. You see players arriving at the club with some flair and potential then it's taken away to be replaced by rigid positioning. It's a game of football and I want to be entertained, hopefully see a win not this safety first, stop the opposition playing as a priority. Let the buggers worry about us instead.
Often wondered when a sub is due to come on and the coaches are showing them reams of drawings in a clipboard what exactly are the drawings of ?
6D1F77F2-0BF0-4A61-90C6-01B929A7147A.jpeg

Itā€™s a case of head versus heart at the moment with North End fans.

Call it Generation X versus Generation ā€˜xGā€™.

Those who see football as some form of science, who thrill about stats and Match of the Day analysis think Alex Neil is doing a great job.

Those who go with their heart and think it should be about passion, pride, entertainment and excitement tend to think the opposite.

I understand why the modern football fan often leans to the former; the game is more sterile now than itā€™s ever been (on and off the pitch). This is going to sound patronising I know, but itā€™s kind of all theyā€™ve ever known and part of me genuinely feels sorry for them.

For me, if youā€™re more concerned about dissecting performances like some student dissertation, youā€™re missing the point.

Itā€™s like when you were a kid in science and the geeks would thrill about the workings of a dead frog, splayed out in the lab: ā€˜Look at the optimal expected thrust generated by the muscle percentage from those back legs!ā€™ šŸ¤“

Personally, Iā€™d rather the frog was still alive and could jump up and make a run (hop!) for it to great cheers from the class: ā€˜Go on Froggie lad!!ā€™ šŸ˜…

Less educational, but far more entertaining.

I donā€™t know how the game itself (not just North End) brings these two factions together but unless it can, the long-term future looks bleak.

There have been so many mis-steps and mistakes in recent years, itā€™s never been easier to fall out of love with a sport that some of us barely recognise these days.

Itā€™s a funny thing, but the more I hear that annoyingly smug catch-all soundbite ā€˜the game has moved onā€™ the more I feel itā€™s left something behind.

Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly!

Whilst most posters have concentrated on the 'tactical analysis' argument I'm more concerned about the disconnect between what the clubs think the fans want to see and what the fans actually want. The game has started to 'eat itself' in my view and this has been clearly demonstrated by many clubs destruction of the FA Cup as shown not only by the farce this weekend but over quite a number of years. When have fans ever been asked if they would like their respective clubs to 'write off' this competition in the hope it may help them get a 'draw' in the next game that may help secure a mid table finish at the end of the season? To hell with a memorable cup tie with a 'Liverpool' or an 'Arsenal' under the floodlights at Deepdale which younger fans would remember for the rest of their lives.
As regards our own club it is highly unlikely that we will see promotion or relegation this season, or the last few seasons for that matter, so to disregard the passion for the cup that the vast majority of the clubs following, especially young future fans, with no guarantee of a result the following game just demonstrates the lack of understanding between clubs and supporters.

Whilst most posters have concentrated on the 'tactical analysis' argument I'm more concerned about the disconnect between what the clubs think the fans want to see and what the fans actually want. The game has started to 'eat itself' in my view and this has been clearly demonstrated by many clubs destruction of the FA Cup as shown not only by the farce this weekend but over quite a number of years. When have fans ever been asked if they would like their respective clubs to 'write off' this competition in the hope it may help them get a 'draw' in the next game that may help secure a mid table finish at the end of the season? To hell with a memorable cup tie with a 'Liverpool' or an 'Arsenal' under the floodlights at Deepdale which younger fans would remember for the rest of their lives.
As regards our own club it is highly unlikely that we will see promotion or relegation this season, or the last few seasons for that matter, so to disregard the passion for the cup that the vast majority of the clubs following, especially young future fans, with no guarantee of a result the following game just demonstrates the lack of understanding between clubs and supporters.
Who are you and what have you done with the real taxipete?

Simon Grayson is finished.

Not even "yesterdays man" anymore. He has regressed beyond this.

Avoid at all costs.

Anyway, we already have a manager, how about we all stick behind him, eh?
The Titanic is sinking and you want us all to sing the captain's a jolly good fellow. Sheesh.

I donā€™t watch much football these days unless itā€™s north end as I find it dull for the most part. Gone is the drama, the comedy and the sadness or the elation of watching a game. I honestly believe the spirit of the game has been sucked out of the game by men in suits that see what once was our beautiful game as as toy that is good for a while. We need characters back in the game that you would gladly pay to see not the robotic players and managers we have today. For me bring back the good old days Of ā€œ get stuck into emā€ and end to end football.

Over the last couple of seasons I have seen people reading newspapers, spending 80 minutes playing with their phones and even dropping asleep in the stands.( I kid you not). The football on offer at Deepdale has been so slow,dull,turgid and predictable that it is a case of a forward pass getting a round of applause - and an on target shot at goal - almost never seen these days.
Saturday afternoons used to be a highlight of the week.No longer I'm sorry to say.
May I recommend the excellent pair of books North End Souls and you will see what ex-great PNE players think about the modern game and tactics.Almost to a man they would hate being constrained by the analysts and coaches who are driven by shape,posession and nullifying the opposition to such an extent that all real flair and creativity is taken out of the game and it becomes chess on grass.
Unless things change I can see next season ( already got my ticket) being my last after over 50 years of following the lads all over the country through thin times and thinner.
Sorry this is such a downbeat post but it sums up footy at the moment.Woeful.

The only reason watching North End is a chore at the moment is because we are having to watch it sat at home with gash pundits talking shit about it. Before lockdown I still enjoyed it and Iā€™m sure I will again when weā€™re allowed back.

Over the last couple of seasons I have seen people reading newspapers, spending 80 minutes playing with their phones and even dropping asleep in the stands.( I kid you not). The football on offer at Deepdale has been so slow,dull,turgid and predictable that it is a case of a forward pass getting a round of applause - and an on target shot at goal - almost never seen these days.
Saturday afternoons used to be a highlight of the week.No longer I'm sorry to say.
May I recommend the excellent pair of books North End Souls and you will see what ex-great PNE players think about the modern game and tactics.Almost to a man they would hate being constrained by the analysts and coaches who are driven by shape,posession and nullifying the opposition to such an extent that all real flair and creativity is taken out of the game and it becomes chess on grass.
Unless things change I can see next season ( already got my ticket) being my last after over 50 years of following the lads all over the country through thin times and thinner.
Sorry this is such a downbeat post but it sums up footy at the moment.Woeful.