What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Hemmings family - time to go?

Hemmings family - time to go?

• Total voters

Keeper1

Forum Patron
Patron
Should be a wage cap, maximum wage for footballers in 1960 was £20 a week, average pay for people was £14 a week, something went wrong somewhere, Sky I suppose.

”How Jimmy Hill's Strike Threat Turned £20 Footballers Into Multi-Millionaires”
thesportsman.com 18/01/21

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
I've no idea what we offered those players wages wise. Or how serious we were in the offers. But, I think it would have been under the understanding (at certain levels of the heirachy) that Riis would have to be sold to pay for it all.

In August when all our other targets had fell away, we were left with the option of selling Riis but buying no one. Something that no doubt would have excited some of the Hemmings clan.

If we are aiming for self sufficiency (and a cost neutral future) then a £10m+ wage bill would be the aim i.e. a 9k average player wage which many of the current squad could be accommodated on.

We can still have the odd Woodman. As long as we have the odd Olosunde type to bring down that overall wage budget. Next summer when 10 more players are out of contract including the costly DJ, we will be another step closer.

One reason we are dealing almost exclusively in short term one year deals is that we could soon switch to a £10m+ budget instantaneously if we so desired.
Do you think this plan and wage structure would sustain our Championship status going forward and long term.?

Dreyfuss

Forum Patron
Patron
Do you think this plan and wage structure would sustain our Championship status going forward and long term.?
Well obviously not. That's why it has to be bolstered by player sales. I think the Hemmings (or certainly some of the mob) would have preferred to sell Riis for what ever Boro offered immediately.

That sale will be necessary in the next 12+ months regardless, to decrease the financial input required from our overlords. They won't be putting in £12m this season. Or next season. Or any season that doesn't involve a pandemic.

The Hemmings will have one eye on the new FFP switch to sustainability on the horizon. When exactly that big change will happen is unclear. But we seem to preparing for it. Or preparing for the possibility of relegation. Or both.

The big problem we have is we don't have many players worth much. Certainly not more than we paid for them. And the guys we have in contract for 2023/24 are generally ageing / on the decline.

We do have Riis, Woodman, Whiteman & McCaan. (Storey at a push) But, other than those there is just not a great deal of transfer value in the squad.

I guess that's why we are throwing around pro deals to the gaggle of youths. Hoping they come good. I'm not convinced the youth alliance league or non league loans are the right platform for real progress.

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Well obviously not. That's why it has to be bolstered by player sales. I think the Hemmings (or certainly some of the mob) would have preferred to sell Riis for what ever Boro offered immediately.

That sale will be necessary in the next 12+ months regardless, to decrease the financial input required from our overlords. They won't be putting in £12m this season. Or next season. Or any season that doesn't involve a pandemic.

The Hemmings will have one eye on the new FFP switch to sustainability on the horizon. When exactly that big change will happen is unclear. But we seem to preparing for it. Or preparing for the possibility of relegation. Or both.

The big problem we have is we don't have many players worth much. Certainly not more than we paid for them. And the guys we have in contract for 2023/24 are generally ageing / on the decline.

We do have Riis, Woodman, Whiteman & McCaan. (Storey at a push) But, other than those there is just not a great deal of transfer value in the squad.

I guess that's why we are throwing around pro deals to the gaggle of youths. Hoping they come good. I'm not convinced the youth alliance league or non league loans are the right platform for real progress.
Agree we have few players of a great saleable value, getting our youth players loans at the low level we seem able to get them game time does not seem to be. at a sufficient standard or level to move them forward to championship level. 🤔

Dreyfuss

Forum Patron
Patron
Agree we have few players of a great saleable value, getting our youth players loans at the low level we seem able to get them game time does not seem to be. at a sufficient standard or level to move them forward to championship level. 🤔
Many lower league teams have their own academies of a similar or better standard to ours (some L2 teams have Cat 2 status). So it's no surprise our kids are not in high demand from EFL clubs.

We just gotta hope this most recent batch of kids come good. We are certainly handing out enough deals. But until one starts a league game I remain fairly unconvinced.

Ultimately the best kids want to be playing against better opposition than Wrexham in the central league cup. I believe Wrexham's academy is funded largely by parents.

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Many lower league teams have their own academies of a similar or better standard to ours (some L2 teams have Cat 2 status). So it's no surprise our kids are not in high demand from EFL clubs.

We just gotta hope this most recent batch of kids come good. We are certainly handing out enough deals. But until one starts a league game I remain fairly unconvinced.

Ultimately the best kids want to be playing against better opposition than Wrexham in the central league cup. I believe Wrexham's academy is funded largely by parents.
The fact we got beat and did not score is not exactly convincing either about the level and standard we are at. 🤔