Heres how not to do business

A lots been said about Degsy on here, a lot of the criticism unwarrented in my opinion. One of the big areas of contention has been his transfer policy - ie coming out and saying that no one will be leaving and then selling Claude. Well if ever you wondered just why he had to do that just take a look at the following story on BBC Lancs website:

'Burnley Chairman Barry Kilby says that the club is losing £30,000 a week and he won't rule out the possibility of losing a player again in the January transfer window.

In the past few years the Clarets have lost at least one high profile player in the January window, with Gareth Taylor, Richard Chaplow, Robbie Black and Ade Akinbiyi all moving on.

Barry Kilby admitted to BBC Radio Lancashire's Gary Hickson that the club was not in position to turn down any big offers for any of his players in his View from the Boardroom...'

It might feel like a kick in the teeth when Degsy goes back on his word but what Kilby has just done here is cost the Dingles £500k to a million because the whole world knows hes desperate.

What sort of chairman would you rather have? Someone who tells the truth or someone who knows that negotiation starts way before any offer? Give me Degsy any day.

PS Good old BBC - Robbie Black? Who's he?

Stevenson

Youth Team
Re: Heres how not to do business

Its a good point.

Chairmen and managers do it all the time - say a player is not going anywhere and then the next minute he's gone for an extortianate fee.

Other chairmen will have similar tactics against us - the fact that we brought in £4m for 2 players in the summer will have inflated the prices of every player we looked at before the window closed (1. because we were desperate and 2. because we had some money to spend).

Tuesday Nights_

First Team

Bristol White said:
It might feel like a kick in the teeth when Degsy goes back on his word but what Kilby has just done here is cost the Dingles £500k to a million because the whole world knows hes desperate.

What sort of chairman would you rather have? Someone who tells the truth or someone who knows that negotiation starts way before any offer? Give me Degsy any day.

Take your point, but to be honest, I think most clubs chasing players from lesser clubs are pretty well aware of the financial situation they face.
PNE are a PLC so all you have to do is look at the figures, weigh up the gates and do a few sums.

I'm sure this offering is intended as a compliment to DS - and i'm sure he would see it as such but it is a little 'back handed' as they say, with the main point seeming to be 'would you prefer Degsy or someone who tells the truth?' Quite amusing I suppose...

flipper

Forum Patron
Patron

Bristol White said:
A lots been said about Degsy on here, a lot of the criticism unwarrented in my opinion. One of the big areas of contention has been his transfer policy - ie coming out and saying that no one will be leaving and then selling Claude. Well if ever you wondered just why he had to do that just take a look at the following story on BBC Lancs website:

'Burnley Chairman Barry Kilby says that the club is losing £30,000 a week and he won't rule out the possibility of losing a player again in the January transfer window.

In the past few years the Clarets have lost at least one high profile player in the January window, with Gareth Taylor, Richard Chaplow, Robbie Black and Ade Akinbiyi all moving on.

Barry Kilby admitted to BBC Radio Lancashire's Gary Hickson that the club was not in position to turn down any big offers for any of his players in his View from the Boardroom...'

PS Good old BBC - Robbie Black? Who's he?

I wonder how on earth Burnley are loosing that sort of money?? they sold the trainig ground to supposedly clear the clubs debts, sold several players for large fees recently, axed their reserves and have such a threadbare squad its untrue............where on earth is the money going. Lets face it despite people moaning about our structure at least we are trying to live within our means

pnefan32

Youth Team

flipper said:
I wonder how on earth Burnley are loosing that sort of money?? they sold the trainig ground to supposedly clear the clubs debts, sold several players for large fees recently, axed their reserves and have such a threadbare squad its untrue............where on earth is the money going. Lets face it despite people moaning about our structure at least we are trying to live within our means

I am sure we read on here few months ago that a Burnley fan was quoted as saying that they would kill for a chairman like Derek Shaw? Like anything they are gonna be losing money on wages to players like Mahon, Gray and Jones. Agains they have debts they have to pay off and interest will be piling up for them too. Everyone is in the same boat unless you have just been relegated from teh Prem and you gamble all your parachute money on getting back straight away. Then like Wolves if you fail you sell all your players and have to get frees in and trim the squad.

OP
B

Bristol White

Manager

Tuesday Nights @ Torquay said:
I'm sure this offering is intended as a compliment to DS - and i'm sure he would see it as such but it is a little 'back handed' as they say, with the main point seeming to be 'would you prefer Degsy or someone who tells the truth?' Quite amusing I suppose...

Its purely a business thing so I hope he would take it as a compliment!! In business you do whatever you have to do to get the best for your company. If this means telling little white lies here and there so be it. In football its even harder because sometimes being economical with the truth to the opposition means you are equally as economical with the truth to the paying public. Telling the truth isn't just about good/bad in this case - more its what should be said rather than what could be said.... erm does that make sense? I think i need to lie down.