PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Holidays, Etc - The Happy Looking Forward Thread

Edgys NYC top tips
We stay in the Waldorf but you lot won’t be able to afford it, done and had an upgrade to a suite as it was my 40th and I am Scottish
So
1) The tick tock diner. Not a tourist thing. A real USA diner and a joy to people watch for a time.
2) The loeb boathouse in Central Park. Not cheap but certainly an amazing location
3) The staton island ferry, it’s free
4) the oyster bar in grand central station, it’s an absolute must
5) buy some utter fake tat from china town. Great fun. We all love a rulex watch
6) simply take a walk down 5th and enjoy the atmosphere
7) the UN tour. Really informative
8) walk any bridge at night. Romantic
9) ground zero. Obvious but a strange air of peace in a very busy city and chance to offer respects to those who died but also those who helped the city rise from the ashes
10) hire a limo from the airport. Cheesy, expensive ? yes. But such fun

Glasshouse Restaurant, Central Park
Radio City
Umberto's Clam House, Little Italy (Mafia murder scene)
Eggs Benedict for breakfast at the Plazza
A musical on Broadway
McSorley's bar
Did the twin towers and must visit ground zero next time.
Bergdorf, Bloomingdales, Macy's and Saks all worth a visit
Guggenheim museum.
Subway ride

Glasshouse Restaurant, Central Park
Radio City
Umberto's Clam House, Little Italy (Mafia murder scene)
Eggs Benedict for breakfast at the Plazza
A musical on Broadway
McSorley's bar
Did the twin towers and must visit ground zero next time.
Bergdorf, Bloomingdales, Macy's and Saks all worth a visit
Guggenheim museum.
Subway ride
Add these to mine and you’ve got a weeks fun

Holiday booked at the end of July. Probably 50/50 as to if that will happen.

tickets for the euros roll into 2021 so thats something I guess.
We are the same Tino.. River Cruise through France booked July 10-20 ( my 60th birthday )

we are gonna move it out to next year ....:(:(

Been lucky every time weve been up there, even when we went in Feb the weather was good for the time of year, when we went up in June last year my wife actually got burnt with the sun., that was in the Galloway region.
Galloway region is lovely, brother in law lives there, and it’s easy to get to.

Last year we went for a few days in May a bit further north and stayed not too far from Oban. Whilst there we went on a trip to Iona and to Isle of Staffa, wife has always wanted to see Fingles Cave, and got to see plenty of puffins as well, both are beautiful islands. Have you been Reaf?

Galloway region is lovely, brother in law lives there, and it’s easy to get to.

Last year we went for a few days in May a bit further north and stayed not too far from Oban. Whilst there we went on a trip to Iona and to Isle of Staffa, wife has always wanted to see Fingles Cave, and got to see plenty of puffins as well, both are beautiful islands. Have you been Reaf?
We actually went there on a Geography field trip when i was at School. I think thats where i first developed my love for Scotland.

As kids you dont appreciate stuff the way you do as adults so, now youve reminded me, Im marking that down as a must go again.

We stayed there last year when we went for my Wife's 40th birthday. It was my first visit to New York so I have nothing to compare, but it was a decent place, with a decent breakfast. We also ate in the restaurant in the evening as part of our package which was ok but not brilliant. However it seemed fairly central for our needs, with a lot of places within walking distance, and Times Square less than 5 minuets away, which is a brilliant place to go for an evening stroll.

We even managed an upgrade from the 10th to the 23rd floor with access to the executive lounge for Snacks and drinks when I told them it was my wife's birthday. (She was unhappy about our initial 10th floor view of the side of some taller buildings.) We stayed for 4 nights, but that really wasn't enough time to do even half the things we had planned to do, but it's a good excuse for a return trip.
We stayed on the 26th floor both times the one with the exec lounge on it, free wine, snacks and drinks, saved a fortune on paying for drinking around Manhattan 😊

But I'd stay there again in a heartbeat like you say the location is unbeatable. If you ever go back walk down 46th away from Times square and have something to eat in bareburger!!

Edgys NYC top tips
We stay in the Waldorf but you lot won’t be able to afford it
So
1) The tick tock diner. Not a tourist thing. A real USA diner and a joy to people watch for a time.
2) The loeb boathouse in Central Park. Not cheap but certainly an amazing location
5) buy some utter fake tat from china town. Great fun. We all love a rulex watch
9) ground zero. Obvious but a strange air of peace in a very busy city and chance to offer respects to those who died but also those who helped the city rise from the ashes
Done quite a few on that list, the thing that made me chuckle was that I smuggled some orange flavour Budweiser back home with me in my suitcase, when I opened my case back home, the US border control had already been in my case to see what I was smuggling, they put everything back neatly but left me a card on the top of my clothes letting me know they'd been in my case looking at my beer 😀😷

To those on the thread chatting all things NYC...

Take a trip (weekend) to Coney Island. It is most excellent in the summer.

05020a64ef145812516fc0e9ac169a1a.jpg

Love Coney Island on a sunny day, brewery worth a visit with Mermaid Pilsner and Merman IPA on tap plus stronger bottled brews to take back to the digs for a nightcap. 🍺😎😍
Ride The Cyclone!

I have rode it twice, it was that good!

Plus you have Nathans Hotdogs. They were delicious!!! If you know your stuff...

Edgys NYC top tips
We stay in the Waldorf but you lot won’t be able to afford it
So
BTW the Waldorf is closed for a couple of years for a full refurb. I recommend the Plaza as an alternative

20180810_095240.jpg
I've been looking for this pic for ages, took it in Times square when it was packed out one night, I just noticed the police stood there holding automatic weapons, nobody else seemed to even notice they were there.